During the oil boom and by 1925, Cooper School was built
on the southeast side of Ranger. The design of Cooper
School was the same as Young School. It served this part
of the community well but as the oil activity declined,
so did the population and enrollment. Cooper was the
second school built during this time to close. It
remained vacant for a number of years until Ranger Jr.
College started using it to house their administrative
offices as well as classrooms in 1948. After serving
Ranger College for many years, it was torn down.
Cooper School in 1920
Cooper School being built
Cooper School (5th grade) early 1940s
Back Row: Billie Lawson, Raymond Nail, Homer Mathis,
Doris Mitchell, Helen -, _?_
Second Row: Doyle Alexander, Bill Smith, Dan Bynum,
_?_, J.R. Hunt, Nell Weeks, R.V. Cole, Fanny
Robinson, - Edwards, M. Wilson
First Row: Ernest Hood, Russell Quinn, Betty Rossell,
- Rex, Adel Brimberry, Betty Weeks, Nina -, Maydell
Mace, Lois -, Mildred -, Dorothy Ferris
Cooper School - 5th grade
Morris Jeffries was the 5th grade teacher
The 9 girls wearing choral club dresses. Miss Doris
Mitchell was the Choral Club Teacher. The dresses
are checks with white collars.
First row - Alvin Johnson, Leona Perrin, Geneva Dodd,
Melba Brimberry, Doris Mathena, ?, Joe Don Meroney,
? Louis Pitcock*, Lonnel Ervin*, ?, George Gray Wilkes,
Jr., James Cox (1/2 of picture)
2nd row - ?, hands over face, Joe Bob Pound, Thomas
Kimbrough, Earl Webb, Beryl Webb, ?,
3rd row - ?, ?, Orene Hill*, ?, ?, ?, ?
4th row - ?, ?, Mashia Williams, ?, ?, ?
Cooper School (could be RHS Class of 1933)
Top Row: 1st girl on left with white hair - Christine Baker
RHS-1939 Cooper School
RHS-1941 Cooper School