JOHN THOMAS "TOMMY" STRONG, 78, died on May 15, 2000,
in Eastland, TX, with interment in Evergreen Cemetery
Mr. Strong was born Oct. 31, 1921 in Ranger, TX to
John Thomas Strong, Sr. & Cumilla Shults Strong. He
graduated from Ranger High School in 1939 and held an
Associates Degree from Ranger Jr. College. He also
held an Aircraft and Powerplant Mechanic’s 50 year
certificate from the Federal Aviation Administration.
He began working for Russell B. Miller at Ranger Flying
Service in 1940 and in 1948 began working for Premier
Refining and Oil Company as a Pilot flying Pipeline
Patrol and maintaining airplanes certifying aircraft
from J-3 Clubs to C-47’s. He married Clemie King in
1978 and retired in 1985. He was a member of the
Mesquite and Rusk Street Church of Christ, a 30 year
member of the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association
and Charter member of Experimental Aircraft Association
chapter 956 in Ranger.
He had four step-children, Bill Rogers of Eastland, Jay
Rogers of New Braunfels, John Rogers of Ranger, Jean Ann
Sublett of Breckenridge.; six grandchildren; one great-
grandchild; numerous nieces and nephews. His sisters were
Mary Sue Strong Treadway (RHS-1945) and Frances Strong
Tommy was presented with the Master Mechanic Award:
In 1999, Tommy Strong was presented the Charles Taylor
"Master Mechanic" Award by Mr. Bernard Mullins, a FFA
representative from Fort Worth, TX. The presentation
took place during a fly-in sponsored by the FAA Chapter
956 at the Ranger Airport.
This award was initiated by the Federal Aviation Administration
in honor of the first aviation mechanic, Charles Edward Taylor.
This award recognizes and honors those mechanics who have been
in aviation maintenance for 50 or more years. Charles Edward
Taylor was the first aviation mechanic in powered flight, the
man who built and maintained those first aircraft engines and
has been called the "unsung Hero Of Aviation". He was the
absolutely indispensable person without whom the Wright Brothers
could not have made their first flight in 1903.
A Ranger native, Mr. Strong, took his civilian pilots training
at the Ranger Airport in 1940. In 1941 he worked under Mr. Ralph
Boyvey. He received his airplane and engine mechanics license
in 1946. After retiring from Permian Corporation in 1996, Mr.
Strong continued to work at the Ranger Airport until 1998. He
continued to be an avid supporter of activities involving the
Mr. Strong was accompanied by his wife, Clemie, during the
presentation. Also present were several members of Mr. Strong's
family and longtime friends. His name will be recorded in
Washington DC along with others who have received this award.
WIFE: CLEMIE JEAN KING STRONG, 87, died on Jan. 17, 2016
in Eastland, TX, with burial at Evergreen Cemetery in
Clemie was born Oct. 27, 1928 in Olden, TX to Brownie King
(RHS-1922) & Ila Jean (Rayford) King. She graduated from
Olden High School and was a lifelong resident of Eastland
County. She was a homemaker, and also baked for the public,
making many wedding cakes for those in Eastland County.
Clemie loved quilting and belonged to the Bullock Quilting
Clemie was preceded in death by her parents, husband Floyd
Rogers (RHS-1943) in 1977, and husband John Thomas “Tommy”
Strong (RHS-1939) in 2000.
Survivors include brother B.H. King (RHS-1954) and sister
Kay Tibbels (RHS-1958); niece Vergenna Halbrook; children
Bill Rogers (RHS-1967) and wife Marilynn of Katy; Jean Ann
Rogers Sublett (RHS-1972) and husband Mike of Breckenridge;
Jay Rogers (RHS-1978) and wife Tracy of New Braunfels; and
Johnny Rogers (RHS-1983) of Ranger. Clemie is also survived
by 6 grandchildren: Amy Rogers-Browder, Kathryn Sublett,
Jaclyn Sublett, Jeremy Barron, Taylor Rogers, and Meredith
Rogers, and 6 great-grandchildren.