Ranger Exes Memorial - RHS Class of 1937

Riccy Robertson RICHARD DOUGLAS "RICCY" ROBERTSON, SR., 83, passed away on Feb. 2, 2007, with burial in Grove Hill Memorial Park at Dallas, TX. Richard (known by a few as Robby & by many as Riccy) Robertson was born in Indianapolis, IN, on May 21, 1923 to Douglas & Opal Hoog Robertson, just because his mother happened to be there at the time. He grew up in southwest Texas and went to Ranger High School in the Class of 1937 at Ranger, TX. When he was quite young, he moved to Lincoln, NE, to live with an uncle and attend Nebraska University. He joined the U.S. Navy in 1940, trained in Great Lakes, IL, and was assigned to submarines stationed at Pearl Harbor about two weeks before the attack. He served on submarines four & a half years and on aircraft carriers during WWII and the Korean. He served in the regular Navy for 12 years and the balance of 29 years in the Reserves. While in the Reserves, he was named as the New Mexico Reservist of the year and was nominated as Reservist of the USA. He was runner-up for that honor. Because his five year old son was ill in Arlington, TX most of the time, Ric thought his health would improve if they lived west of Texas. He was employed by LTV in Grand Prairie, TX, where he was acknowledge as the best medal plater in the area. LTV had a plant in Roswell, NM so Riccy applied with them for employment. He was hired as their Control Manager. Then they closed and returned to Texas three months later. Riccy did not want to return to Texas with them, so he stayed in Roswell. Mrs. Krebs took him to Germany and taught him the process and he returned to Roswell and put in the Christmas by Krebs plant. The water in Germany and Roswell being different, their formula would not work, so Riccy and the chemistry teacher at Roswell High School worked it out. Riccy was a Major in the N.M. State Defense Force for three years, but at the insistence of his doctor he reluctantly resigned after his heart attack. He worked for Fuqua Mobile Homes until they moved from Roswell. While with them, he was a designer and their sign-off engineer. Riccy was one of the 20 men who formed the Submarine Veterans of World War several years ago. He served as President of that organization. Only two members of that group survive. During this time he was very active in the Masonic Order and Eastern Star. He worked with the boys in DeMoley and was Rainbow dad for the Order of Rainbow for Girls. He served as Worthy Patron of Eastern Star's Roswell Chapter Number 10 & served on many of the Grand Chapters committees. He was a member of Roswell Lodge No. 18, Scottish Rite in Las Cruces, York Rite & Ballut Abyad Shrine, as well as Order of the Eastern Star Chapters Roswell No. 10 and Lake Arthur No. 24. He and his wife Inez Baker, met and married for over 52 years. They, with their son, Riccy, Jr., moved to Roswell in 1970. In 1990, after his heart attack, he was shop foreman for WEK Oil Drilling Co., for several years. He retired early to work on old cars in the garage they built, but he was always too busy to get around for that. Riccy is survived by his wife, Inez Baker Robertson (RHS-1937), his son, Riccy, Jr. and his brother-in-law, Roy Baker of Belle Chasse, LA, and Roy's family.