Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

When They Found Out
Susan Lewis
By Elena Ridgeway
spunkie_2003@yahoo.com

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

I spent yet another Valentine's Day working and away from my boyfriend. Steve's a good guy, and deals with it pretty well. He came and spent that night, anyways. The next morning I went into work, in a decent mood. Chloe was coming over with Susie and Ben (an absolutely adorable 2 year old) that night and we were going to go see "Toy Story 2". My co-workers were all crowded around a small TV we have in the lounge. "What's going on, guys?"

"You haven't heard?"

"No. What's going on" I tried to get a peek at the TV, but gave up. "Two docs at CCGH in Chicago got stabbed by some psych patient. Anyone who comes in today getting restraints, that's for damn sure."

"Cook County?"

"Yeah."

"I used to work there. Move." I pushed my way through. I had to see what was going on. I knew people that worked there. I froze as I realized Mark could be hurt. We had something going on for awhile. It would tear my heart to hear about him being injured. Or Carol. Or Doug. Or anyone.

"Here at CNN we have just received pictures of the injured employees in the stabbings at Cook County General Hospital in Chicago." A picture of a young woman came on screen, and I sighed at her unfamiliarity. "Lucy Knight, a fourth year medical student, was stabbed four times. She later died of complications stemming from the attack." The picture left the screen, and another one flashed on. I gasped. "Dr.John Carter, a third year emergency resident, is in critical but stable condition after being stabbed twice in the back."

"Did you know him, Dr.Lewis?" I turned around and saw, Ed, my med student, staring at me with bright eyes.

"Yeah, I did. He was a surgical resident when I left. But I knew him better when he was a student in the ER." My mind flashed back to the young, naive, Carter. John Carter. I remembered how he had a crush on me, and shared the bottle of champagne with me he earned for doing a perfect spinal tap the first time.

"I hope he's ok" Ed offered. He had become more compassionate after he did his psych rotation.

"So do I, Ed. So do I."

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)