Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

When They Found Out
Luka Kovac
By Elena Ridgeway
spunkie_2003@yahoo.com

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Kerry had taken the cupid patient and I was glad to sit back and rest my eyes. The music was so loud during the party it had been hard to think, let alone nap. Besides, it gave me a chance to talk to Carol Hathaway. She's nice, and doesn't ignore me, like it seems most of the staff does. I was nearly gone when I heard someone scream. I sat up, waiting to see what was going on. I heard Deb scream "Everyone!! Get to Curtain Three now!!" In an instant I was off my chair and ran. Kerry told me to get in there now and handle Carter. I was really confused, and pushed through nurses until I saw him, laying still on the floor. I looked at Kerry, and saw her bending over someone else. "What happened?" I asked. Kerry gave me a look, and I bent over Carter. There was blood, everywhere. Flashes of Croatia started to come in my head, and I struggled to push them out. We had to save him, first and foremost. The memories would be there later.

Deb, Abby, and Lydia were already checking him out. I know that I said something, but it is still kind of a blur. I started to do a Glascow Coma Scale rating, unable to do anything else until we got him into trauma. Kerry had Lucy on a backboard and told me to take Carter to trauma 2. Deb had moved him down so we could get him on a gurney, and I began to feel nauseous as I watched a new pool of blood begin to form underneath him. I counted slowly to three, and we lifted him on the gurney. He was mumbling incoherently, and didn't respond to commands. I knew he was bad off. I shouted out orders, running on auto-pilot, trying to understand why more people I knew had to be injured in such violent ways. I refused to let anyone talk about what had happened. I didn't want to think about it.

When Benton came in, I was relieved, because he took charge, only to leave again when Lucy became worse. Then he woke up. I hated that more than anything. He knew everything that was going on. He knew it was bad. I couldn't imagine being in that position. I felt bad, because if I had intubated him it wouldn't have happened. Then Deb showed me the bag, and I became scared again as his BP dropped. I told her to get Benton, so he could at least have a chance. If I had to deal with it anymore, I think I would have lost it. They got him out of there quick, and I realized they needed help with Lucy. I ran over, and gave everyone the news on Carter. They shook it off as Lucy crashed. I couldn't watch, and everything was a blur. It was too much to handle.

I don't remember too much else about that day. Not until later, in the cafe. We were telling stories, and it was happy again. Until we heard about Lucy. I didn't know what to say or do. I hardly knew her. She was so young. Croatia came into my head once again, and I became frustrated. I thought it was all gone, but now the same violence has come to where I work, in America. Sadly, I realized no where I went, I would be truly safe.
No one was ever really safe.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)