Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

When They Found Out
Jeanie Boulet
By Elena Ridgeway
spunkie_2003@yahoo.com

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

I love my new life with Reggie and Carlos. I'm home all day with my baby, and Reggie is home every night to help sing lullabies and tuck him in. Then we get some quiet time. I never thought that I would be able to live a life so wonderful with HIV, but it's better than I ever dreamed of. It's perfect.

On Valentines Day, Reggie had the night shift. The day was wonderful. He made me breakfast and brought it to me in bed, telling me how beautiful I was and how much he loved me. I gave him his present, and he gave me mine. We spent the rest of the day walking through the city with Carlos in a stroller. It was great. The worst part of the day (or what I thought was going to be the worst part of the day) was when he left for work. I cleaned our home and played with Carlos until it was his bedtime. I decided to watch a chick flick that was on the Romance Channel for fun. At around 10, I got a phone call.

"Jeanie?"

"Hi sweetie. How are you?"

"I'm ok, but I have some bad news."

"What is it?"

"Two people were stabbed at County General."

"What!" I was totally shocked. My mind raced as I thought of all the people it could be. "Who?"

"Dr.Weaver found some med student and a doc on the floor when she came on shift. A girl and a guy. I don't have the names. My receiver is shot. I'm not there, I'm on a different call. I'll tell you when I know more."

"Bye."

I was sitting on the floor at this point, happy Kerry was all right. But what if it was Peter? I know we went out forever ago, but I still cared about him. And his little boy. I just sat for what seemed like years. Before I knew it, it was 6 am and Reggie walked in the door. "What's going on, sweetie?"

"Lucy Knight. The med student. You know her?" I silently nodded my head. "She died, Jeanie. I'm so sorry." I looked at him, tears brimming in my eyes. "The other one is still alive. They think he'll make it." I mouthed the question who, unable to speak.

"John Carter?" My hand clapped to my mouth. He was the world's sweetest guy, and they THINK he'll make it. Tears stung my eyes, and Reggie held me close. I squeezed him back and grabbed the phone. I dialed, but got the answering machine.

"Hey, Kerry, it Jeanie. I just heard what happened. I'm so sorry. I just want you to know if you need anyone to talk to, call me. I'll be here, whenever you need me."

I hope she'll call.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)