Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

When They Found Out
Carter's Parents
By Elena Ridgeway
spunkie_2003@yahoo.com

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Carter's parents perspective is written assuming "Be Patient" took place 3 days after the incident. 

Roland took me on the most wonderful cruise for Valentine's Day. We left on the 10th, and arrived back home around the 18th. It was a wonderful way to relax. Roland had left his cell phone and other business items at home so we could spend the entire time uninterrupted. I like it better that way.

When we got back, I was surprised to see Millicent greet us at the airport, along with Jake, our driver.

"Millicent, dear. How lovely to see you."

"And you as well."

"Why on earth did you decide to meet us here."

"I'm afraid I have some bad news for you." I froze. I wondered if Chase had died. Or if something happened to the house. I didn't expect the next words out of her mouth.

"John was stabbed, at work on Valentine's Day. Some crazy patient." My hand went to my mouth and Roland rested his hand on my shoulder.

"Is he all right?" Roland asked.

"He's OK now. He lost quite a bit of blood before they found him and had to have some major surgery, but he's expected to make a full recovery."

"Is he home?" I couldn't believe my son almost died and I was off on a luxery cruise. If I had known, I would have been there. I was always there for Bobby, and I wanted John to know I would have. The only thought I had was making things right with him.

"No. He should be released tomorrow or the day after. I'll instruct Jake to take us directly to the hospital." She went to give him the instructions, and I turned to look at Roland.

"I almost lost another son, and I didn't even know it. What if..."

"He's fine, darling. He'll be all right" I nodded my head, and took his hand in mine. The entire ride there was silent. No one knew what to say. We arrived, and Millicent walked us to his room.

He was sleeping when Roland and I walked into the room. He looked so small and pale, laying there, an IV pole attached to his hand. I sat beside him and took his hand, just like I had done for Bobby years and years ago. Roland stood in the corner, staring. He has such a hard time showing emotion. It was impossible for me to tell what he was feeling. John began to stir, and I stroked his hair.

"Mom?" he blinked his eyes and tried to sit up, then bit his lip as if something was wrong. He used the control buttons instead until he was in sitting position.

"I'm here. How are you feeling?"

"I'm fine. I thought you were on a cruise."

"We just got back." He nodded his head knowingly.

"Thanks for stopping by."

"I heard you got stabbed on the job." Roland's voice cut the tension in the air.

"Yeah."

"You should come back to the company..."

"Not now, Dad, all right? I.."

"Want to stay at this place? How unsafe is it, if you can get stabbed and almost die and...."

"I am a doctor, this is where I work."

"No. You're a patient because you are unable to do your work in such an enviroment...."

"EXCUSE ME." A voice boomed from behind me. I turned and wiped a tear from my eye, not even realizing I had been crying. I saw a colored man, in blue scrubs. He was glaring at Roland. "Visiting hours are over. I think you'd better go."

Roland glared at him. "Let's go, dear." I took a look at John. He was playing with the IV in his hand, making sure he didn't have to make eye contact with anyone. I kissed him on the head.

"I'll call your, sweetie, OK?"

"ok mom" his voice was barely a whisper. Roland squeezed my shoulder, and I walked out of the room, turning back to look at my son one last time. I cursed my husband for never letting his dreams go. I cursed the cruise for taking me away from where I should have been. And I cursed the Carter name, for all it seemed to bring to anyone was grief.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)