Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

When They Found Out
Carol Hathaway
By Elena Ridgeway
spunkie_2003@yahoo.com

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Kate and Tess slept through the night for the first time in ages, to my vast pleasure. My nanny came on time, and I left for work in a good mood. The ride on the El was even pleasant. Everything was going great until I tried to come into the ER.

"Can I see some ID, m'am?" said the young policeman.

"What's going on?" I demanded.

"ID, please."

"Here." I thrust my badge at him and barged through the doors. Cops were everywhere. A newswoman ran smack into me.

"Where's the press room?" she asked

"Go see the desk clerk." I said, wondering what had happened during the short time I had been gone. I went into the lounge and took off my coat. Haleh was getting something out of her locker.

"What happened here, Haleh."

Her eyes were brimmed with tears as she looked at me. "Carter and Lucy were found stabbed in Curtain Three last night, maybe ten minutes after you left. He's up in recovery, and Lucy died." She left in a hurry, leaving my mouth wide open.

I tried to find Weaver, but she wasn't around. I saw Mark, however. He was standing in front of Curtain three. I looked in, shocked. There was soo much blood around, I was surprised that Carter made it through. I asked him what happened, but he wanted to talk about it later. He asked about a trauma, and I remembered that in my search for Weaver I had taken a call. I told him what was going off and tried to return my thoughts to my duties as a nurse. There would be a time for mourning later, after it set in.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)