Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

When They Found Out
Anna Del Amico
By Elena Ridgeway
spunkie_2003@yahoo.com

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

I've been really successful here in Philly. I have a great apartment and a decent paycheck. I can't ask for more. Max and I see each other off and on, and it's the most stable thing I could ask for at this point in my life. It's nice.

I came on shift Valentine's Day night after a candlelit dinner at Max's apartment. My attending came up to me.
"Didn't you used to work at County General in Chicago?" I nodded my head, wondering where he was going with this.

"Be glad you don't anymore. Take a look at this." He lead me into the lounge, where a news reporter stood outside the familiar ER doors. "Turn up the volume" I said.

"Everyone has been talking about the recent outbreak of school shootings, wondering if school is still safe. Even the police station has been questioned for safety as of late. Now, a hospital emergency room, a place where you go to be healed, is put to question. Earlier this night, two staff members were attacked by a psych patient who somehow got access to a butcher knife. Paul Sobriki is now under police survalence in the Psych ward at Cook County, while his victims remain in surgery. Lucy Knight, a third year medical student, and Dr. John Carter, a third-year resident, were found brutally attacked in one of the examination rooms. We will be bringing you updates on their conditions as soon as possible..."

The reporter droned on as I slid off my chair onto the floor. I had no idea who the med student was, but knew John. That's an understatement. We were practically attached at the hip the year I was there. He was a great friend, a great person. He took it really hard when I left. And now he could be dying. DYING. It was too much for me to handle. Tears began to slide down my cheeks, and I was helpless to stop them. "Oh god. Let him be all right. Let him be all right."

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)