Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

When They Found Out
Millicent Carter
By Elena Ridgeway
spunkie_2003@yahoo.com

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

I had just hosted a marvelous party for Valentine's Day, which wasn't over until midnight. Corrine and Rosalita (our cook and maid) had been asked to take messages and not to disturb the party unless Chase was dead or dying. Never would I have thought that the call that did would have come through. I didn't think anyone but Chase was in immediate danger. How wrong I was.

Rosalita came to me and said a Dr.Weaver from Cook County ("where Dr. John works," is what she actually said) had called and said it was urgent that you come to the hospital as soon as possible. She said she would of come to get me, but did not want to break orders. I told her thank you, and told her to get the driver ready. I went upstairs to change, but found my bed to be inviting and fell asleep. At 1 in the morning, Corrine came running in.

"Miss Millicent, there's a police officer at the door. He wants to talk to you. He says it's very important."

"Very well. Will you get me a suitable outfit?"

"Right away ma'm" I dressed as fast as I could, wondering what had happened.

"Hello officer. Why are you disturbing me at this untimely hour?"

"Are you a relative of Dr. John Carter the III?"

"Yes, I am. Is he in some kind of trouble? The hospital called earlier. We can handle bail, it that's what you need to know." Looking back on that statement, it is clear to me how unprepared I was to handle what was said next.

"No, ma'm. He was involved in an attack at the hospital."

"What are you saying?"

"Your grandson was stabbed twice in the back by a patient earlier this evening. He is still in surgery at this moment. "

"You must be joking. The hospital is plenty secure."

"Come with me. I'll take you where you can wait for more information."

"If you must." I walked to the police car without his words having registered. He drove to the hospital, and escorted me through police barricades into the emergency room. It was then I started to worry.

"Hello, Mrs. Carter? I'm Kerry Weaver, Chief of the ER."

"What happened to John? They said he was stabbed."

"Yes he was. Are his parents out of the country?"

"On a cruise, yes.. Can I see him?"

"He's still in surgery at the moment. The knife hit his kidney and he was bleeding profusely. We managed to stabilize him and take him to the OR. From what I understand, the knife also hit his colon, and they have to repair that as well. It shouldn't be to much longer. I'll take you to the waiting room upstairs." I was too stunned to say anything, so I nodded and followed. I must have dozed off in the waiting room, for I didn't wake up until I was tapped on the shoulder by a tall colored man dressed in blue scrubs.

"Are you a relative of John Carter?"

"Yes, I am. Is he all right."

"He made it through the surgery. We had slight complications. His blood pressure was unstable for awhile, but he is getting his final transfusion now, so that should be improving. We managed to fix his kidney, but a hematoma formed around his lumbar plexus, causing weakness in the left side of his body. With physical therapy he should be all right. His colon was severly lacerated and we had to perform a temporary colostomy. He'll need more surgery in about a month to remove that. He's on medication for the pain, but he should make a full recovery. He's sleeping now, but I can take you in to see him." Once again, I was speechless. I tried to register what had happened to my grandson, to no avail. I just followed him in and saw John, pale and connected to various machines that I recognized from Chase's ordeal. I sat beside him and stroked his hair, thankful he wasn't awake. That way, he couldn't see me cry.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)