The Devil in Disguises
Chapter Eight - Helping Hands
By Ayoe
ayoe.lang@get2net.dk

Written after seeing "Stuck On You" - Season 5

"ER" and all its characters belong to Warner Bros. No infringement of their copyright is intended. This story was written for the enjoyment of "ER" fans everywhere, and may be downloaded for your own pleasure. However this story may not be used, distributed or archived without the permission of the author.

Rated: NC17 - harsh language and sexual contents.

A HUGE thanks to my excellent editor Cathy Roberts...don't know what I should do without you!!!

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Something caught John's eye.

A note was lying on the pillow. He slowly walked over to the bed.

"Oh, God." There were bloodstains on the sheets. John sat down, staring at the small rust-red blotches. He reached for the note.

"Carter?" Doug was standing in the doorway. John couldn't speak. Doug noticed the blood and moved closer. "Jesus!" He looked at the note in John's hands. "What does it say?" John handed him the piece of paper.

Dear John

I guess you got my message. She was cute, wasn't she? The devil likes beauty. Just like you do. My daughter is a beauty - for now anyway. I need money, Dr. Carter. And I know you will get it for me. Or the beauty will be gone. So do it quickly. One million dollars - by tomorrow. Be by the phone at 5 p.m.

Further instructions will be given then. If you are smart, you won't contact the police. And if you are really smart, you'll do this completely alone.

Or it's 'bye-bye' Kerry.

Doug sighed and sat down beside John. "You okay, buddy?"

John slowly nodded. His eyes were burning from trying to hold the tears back.

"Well, you're not alone on this. That's too late."

"I can't let you get involved in this, Doug."

"I already am, Carter. I won't let you do this alone."

"He'll kill her, Doug."

"He won't know I'm here."

John looked at Doug doubtfully. Doug gently touched his shoulder.

"We'll find her. She will be okay, buddy." Doug slowly pulled John closer and he found comfort in his arms, letting the tears run free.

"What are we going to do?" John whispered.

"I don't know."

They sat for a while without speaking.

"Tell me what you know about him," Doug suddenly said.

While John spoke, Doug carefully listened. John was glad Doug was there with him. The thought of losing Kerry was too much and he couldn't handle this alone.

"He doesn't sound like the smartest person alive. We can do this, Carter."

Doug was right. Steven wasn't the perfect criminal - far from. But still...Kerry didn't know what he'd been doing the last 20 years. He'd obviously had some inside connections since he could track Kerry down.

"Maybe we should contact the police...?" John slowly asked.

Doug hesitated. "Hey, I know a good cop. He's often up at the hospital. You might know him. Reggie?" John searched his mind and Doug continued, "Tall, black guy. I've known him a few years. He's a good guy."

John remembered Reggie. He seemed nice and dedicated to his work. And he had a thing for Jeanie.

"You want me to call him?"

John nodded, "That would be great."

Doug found his cell phone and slowly walked into the office, waiting for someone to pick up. "Yeah. It's Doug." He made a signal to John that he'd gotten hold of Reggie.

John took a deep breath and looked at the note once more.

"What house number is this?" Doug suddenly asked.

"Um...33." Doug disappeared from the door once more. John fidgeted.

A few minutes later Doug entered the bedroom. "He'll be here as soon as he can. He's at work."

John sighed, feeling a bit more relaxed. "Thank God."

"Don't thank him yet. We have to get Kerry back safe first." Doug gave him a comforting smile. "I gotta call Carol."

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

An small hour later, they were in the living room. John was sitting on the couch, staring blankly at the TV. It wasn't even on, but his mind was filled with images anyway. Images of Kerry. Doug was wondering around looking at the pictures and what ever he found interesting. Suddenly the doorbell rang, making John jump.

"It's probably Reggie," Doug said. He walked over to the door. "Carol? Mark? What are you doing here?!?!"

They entered the room. John stood, thinking this was no good. What was it about Doug and his big mouth?

"We heard our friends were in trouble, so we came," Mark said, sending John a calming smile.

Carol walked over to him and hugged him. "Are you okay, Carter?"

"I'm okay," John whispered. "It's Kerry we have to worry about."

Carol nodded. "I know."

They took of their coats and sat down. Doug grapped a chair from the dinner table.

"I've called Reggie," Doug explained, handing the note to Mark. Both Carol and Mark nodded.

After Mark had read it he passed it on to Carol. Then he turned to John. "We're here for you, Carter."

"I know Kerry and I have had some differences in the past..." Doug slowly said. "But I consider her to be a friend, and I believe she would do the same thing for me."

"She would. She would do this for anyone. She's not at all what you imagine her to be."

Carol took John's hand, "Who is? No matter what, she's our friend."

Once more the doorbell rang. Doug opened it. "Reggie! I'm glad you could make it, buddy...Benton??!"

"I heard Carter was in some kind of trouble," the familiar deep voice said.

John stood, surprised. Maybe he'd been wrong about Benton after all. Maybe he was his friend. Reggie and Benton walked into the room ahead of Doug.

"Carter!" Peter said when he saw him standing there. "Man. Are you all right? What's going on?" he asked giving John fast hug. He quickly stepped back, seeming somewhat embarrassed of showing that kind of emotion. He looked around and Mark explained what was happening.

John felt warm inside. He hadn't thought any of these people really cared. Either about him or Kerry. Now he knew they did. "I'm so...glad you're all here." He swallowed.

"Hey, man. We're your friends," Benton said.

"And friends stick together," Carol added.

John smiled, "And friends are there when you need them the most."

They all smiled, then settled down.

"Okay. Let's work this out," Reggie said.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)