The Devil in Disguises
Chapter Three - Something Left Unsaid
By Ayoe
ayoe.lang@get2net.dk

Written after seeing "Stuck On You" - Season 5

"ER" and all its characters belong to Warner Bros. No infringement of their copyright is intended. This story was written for the enjoyment of "ER" fans everywhere, and may be downloaded for your own pleasure. However this story may not be used, distributed or archived without the permission of the author.

Rated: NC17 - harsh language and sexual contents.

A HUGE thanks to my excellent editor Cathy Roberts...don't know what I should do without you!!!

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

A few days later John was firmly asleep when a loud shout woke him up.

"Carter! Get your cute ass out of the bed. We're late!"

Who needed an alarm clock with a landlady like Kerry, John thought. He looked at the time; the he flew into the bathroom. They were REALLY late. Fifteen minutes later they were on their way.

In the car there wasn't much conversation. Kerry tried to get her hair to obey, but didn't have much luck though. She sighed and looked at John. "You look like Hell, Carter."

He hated the fact she was calling him Carter again.

"Didn't get much time to get ready. I forgot to set the alarm."

Kerry laughed: "I slept through mine."

"What a couple we are," John said. There wasn't anything to say after that. The car-ride remained silent.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

At County, Lucy was getting better at picking the right time to ask questions. She was a quick learner and they were getting along much better. Lucy got so thrilled every time she learned something new, and by the middle of the day, he was actually enjoying teaching her new procedures. He couldn't help but laugh when she got one right. Lucy laughed and praised everyone near her, but every time she laughed, John thought about Kerry's smile. Not Lucy's.

Two hours before his shift ended, he spotted Kerry at the end of the hall. She didn't have her jacket on any more, only a tight white shirt. He signed and smiled. She looked gorgeous. Walking up to her, he asked, "Dr. Weaver, are you busy?"

"What's up, Carter?"

"Could you take a look at a patient for me?"

"Sure."

He led her to exam room 4. "Male, 27, suffers from chest pain, fever, heartbeat..." He pushed her inside the room.

"Carter, where's the patient?" Kerry looked around the empty room.

Well, he's having a hard time deciding if he should see a doctor or not." He closed the blinds, then grabbed Kerry's arm and pulled her in front of him.

She looked at him in surprise, then smiled. "Sounds like the patient suffers from bad case of heart-ace."

He smiled and pulled her closer. He was already hard from the thought of having Kerry close to him. John kissed her hard. "You have no idea what you do to me, do you?" he whispered.

She gently pulled his head closer, "You know, I can treat you for what you have." She kissed him, but when she was about to move her head away, he pulled her back and cravenly kissed her. Their tongues found each other. John heard someone outside the door, and he dragged Kerry in front of it without ending the kiss. Someone tried to open the door, but he stopped it with his arm and Kerry's body.

"Who's in there?" Carol's voice said through the door.

"Me," Kerry yelled. "Could you give me a few minutes?"

"Sure!..Take him to curtai...." her voice trailed off as she walked away.

Kerry quickly locked the door. The second she turned her head John kissed her again. He pushed her towards the table. "Easy, John. My leg..." she whispered. He lifted her from the ground and carried her to the table where he sat her down.

"Oh, God," he groaned, feeling as if he were about to explode. Kerry pulled his body closer and put her good leg around him. He grabbed it and moved his groin in circles while their kiss got more and more intense. John gently massaged her breast with his free hand, wanting her so much. Right here. Right now. He didn't care about anything else.

"John, slow down. We can't do this here," Kerry said.

John took a step back, letting her go. "I'm sorry," he said embarrassed.

Kerry jumped down from the table and picked up her crutch. Then she snuggled against his body. "I'm not," she whispered. She limped to the door and unlocked it. "See you back home," she said with a smile. She was on for a couple of hours more than John.

He nodded and then she left the room. After a few minutes, his body had calmed down and he went back to work.)

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

The house was silent. John closed the door and locked it, deciding that he didn't like it when Kerry wasn't there. It just felt wrong. He almost swallowed his tongue when the phone rang.

"Hello?" he stuttered. It was Roxanne. He'd almost forgotten about her. He tried to anyway.

"Can I come over?" she asked. "I miss you."

"It's not a very good time right now."

"John, we haven't seen each other in almost two weeks," she complained. "Is something wrong?"

He smiled, " Roxanne, I'm just not in the mood." To be with her that was.

"Okay. I get it," she sulked. "You're sick of me."

"I'm not sick of you. It's just....we're only together for the sex. It's good sex...yes. But I want more. And I might have found more."

"Oh." She was silent for a while. "Okay, well...umm.. It's been fun. Call me if you ever feel the need, okay." she said, disappointed.

"I will. Bye."

"Bye."

He hung up the phone. That had been easier than he'd thought. They had always known it was just for the sex. But still. And on the other hand. If it had been him calling her he wouldn't have said much more that she just did.

He went downstairs to get a shower. As he stood under the warm water he thought about the 'meeting' with Kerry a few hours ago and felt himself grow hard once again. He'd never felt like this before. But, Kerry wasn't like any other woman, either. Somehow, they were a lot alike. Playing tough, but inside they were both hurt and alone. He still didn't know much about Kerry's past, but after last night, he knew to be careful when asking about it. Something or someone in her past had left a serious wound that wouldn't heal.

John rinsed off the soap and stepped out of the shower. Kerry would be home in one hour. He dried off and found a pair of jeans and a nice shirt. He didn't usually dress like that at home, but now that Kerry was around he wanted to look nice all the time. Before the night he'd shown up on her doorstep, he'd never thought about her in that way. Not one second in his life. The only time he'd ever seen her as a woman and not the Chief was when the benzene had affected her and he had to take care of her. She had been so helpless that night. The next day, though, Dr. Weaver was back. But now she was all he could think about. He wondered what she felt for him, what she felt about the whole thing. He brushed his hair and applied a little mousse to it. After shaving, he went on bare feet upstairs. He wouldn't wait for Kerry to get home.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

John was awoken by the sound of keys in the front door. He looked at the time, shocked to find that Kerry should have been home nearly five hours ago! It was almost three in the morning. He turned off the TV and got to his feet. He could hear Kerry swearing outside because she was having trouble with the key. He unlocked the door for her and she stumbled into the living room.

"John. Hi!" She'd been drinking. She was so drunk she could hardly stand on her feet.

"Kerry?! Where have you been?!" John tried to support her with his arm.

"I don't know," she laughed and swung her arms around his neck. "Where have you been all my life?" she laughed, trying to kiss him. He pulled away from her lips.

"Why have you been drinking?" he asked, concerned. He didn't know much about Kerry, but he knew she seldom touched booze. Kerry took a step back and almost fell over. John reached out and helped her regain her balance.

"I just wanted...to...have fun," she rambled. "Give me a kiss."

"You should get some sleep."

"Nahh..I'm fine," she said, taking a step forward. Then she lost her balance once more and fell into John's arms. "Let's do something more fun in my bed."

He took her in his arms and carried her upstairs with no intention of doing anything besides getting her to sleep. Along the way, she kept kissing him all over. He sat her on the edge of the bed and she lay back right away. John gently removed her boots, feeling afraid for her. She'd seemed fine at work. Now she was drunk out of her mind. What was going on?!

"Kerry? Are you okay?"

"Ummm," she groaned.

"Kerry?" She didn't answer. He checked her pulse and pupils. She was okay, just asleep. But she was way too drunk. He decided to spend the night in the chair over in the corner. He pulled the blanket over Kerry and took the spare one from the floor. Then he sat in the chair and closed his eyes. Soon he was also asleep.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

John was awoken by a loud thud. Kerry had fallen out of bed while trying to get her crutch and was now trying to get to her feet. He got up and helped her.

"I need to..." she pointed towards the toilet. She was about to get sick. He supported her to the bathroom where she quickly knelt beside the toilet and emptied her stomach. John knelt down beside her, gently stroking her back. After a while she sat back. Tears of exertion were rolling down her face. John slowly whiped them away with his hand. She was gasping for her breath.

"I'm ....so .... sorry," she forced out.

"Kerry. What's going on?"

"Please. Not now, okay, " she whimpered.

John nodded. He helped her back on her feet and returned her to the bed. Soon she was back to sleep. John got a bucket in case she was going to get sick again. Then he returned to the basement.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

To be continued....