The Devil in Disguises
Chapter Fifteen - Mother Of Truth
By Ayoe
ayoe.lang@get2net.dk

"ER" and all its characters belong to Warner Bros. No infringement of their copyright is intended. This story was written for the enjoyment of "ER" fans everywhere, and may be downloaded for your own pleasure. However this story may not be used, distributed or archived without the permission of the author. Rated: NC17 - harsh language and sexual contents.

A HUGE thanks to my excellent editor Cathy Roberts...don't know what I should do without you!!!

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Gentle, pale-blue eyes met his, when he woke up.

"Hey there."

"Kerry?" he whispered in a hoarse voice. He raised his arm, caressing the plaster covering the cut on the chin. She put her head on the side, enjoying the touch.

"I've missed you," she whispered.

"Kerry. I thought you were.."

She kissed his hand.

"I thought you were."

"What happened? Steven??"

"Steven's gone." Her eyes were filled with hate, then relief. "He's gone."

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Kerry saw John fall to the ground. Steven had an insane look in his eyes.

"John. NOOOO!!!!!!" she screamed.

It felt like someone ripped out her heart. Steven was paralysed by his own power. A quiet laughter filled the alley. His face was twisted in rage and amusement.

Kerry had knelt down beside John. She was looking up at her father. "You insane, stupid, sick piece of shit. I'm going to kill you!"

The man looked at her with empty eyes. Then he started to laugh loudly. The ice-cold, evil laugh. Kerry froze. Then a loud noise echoed through the alley. Steven stopped his laugh. His eyes became blank, and then a flash of pain went over his face. He fell on his knees, reaching for his back. A thin, red line of blood ran from the corner of his mouth. A short gasp escaped his lips. Then he fell over.

Kerry slowly looked from the still body to the silhouette further down the alley. A black man in a uniform approached her, followed by several other men.

"Reggie?"

Then everything happened fast. John was taken to the hospital. The police quickly spoke with Kerry before she was driven there herself. Before entering the car, she saw the paramedics covering her fathers face with a sheet. In slow-motion Reggie drove her to the hospital.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

"He's dead?" John whispered.

"He's dead," Kerry assured him.

They sat there, silent, for a long time. It was finally over.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

"You smell great," he said, kissing her neck.

"Thank you, John," Kerry laughed.

"You guys ready?" Lucy popped her head in.

"Be right there," John said, blowing her a kiss.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

He has my eyes, John thought. And Kerry's lips. He's perfect.

"And the child's name?" the priest asked.

Kerry smiled at the little miracle. Something she'd been wishing for for so many years, and now John had made it come true. Her eyes were filling with the tear. The child's name. Now she was finally able to return tha long forgotten name to the family. She looked at the black man next to her and smiled, answering.

"Reggie. Reggie Cambell Carter."

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

THE END!!!!!!