The Devil in Disguises
Chapter Twelve - Through The Alley Of Death
By Ayoe
ayoe.lang@city.dk

"ER" and all its characters belong to Warner Bros. No infringement of their copyright is intended. This story was written for the enjoyment of "ER" fans everywhere, and may be downloaded for your own pleasure. However this story may not be used, distributed or archived without the permission of the author.

Rated: NC17 - harsh language and sexual contents.

A HUGE thanks to my excellent editor Cathy Roberts...don't know what I should do without you!!!

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

He closed the car door and looked down the quiet streets, then slowly walked towards the alley. Just before leaving the open safety of the streets, John spotted one of the undercover cars by the corner. He shivered. Couldn't this just be over?

He entered the alley with a suitcase in his hand. A suitcase filled with money. He desperately tried to make out the shadows, but without luck. It was simply too dark. He squeezed the handle, feeling the sweat spring in his palms, but knowing it was nothing compared to what Kerry was feeling at this moment.

Suddenly a shadow moved in the other end of the alley. A shadow moving towards him. He started to shake. When the silhouette passed a ray from the streetlights, John recognized Kerry.

"Kerry!" He couldn't help screaming out her name. The overwhelming joy of seeing her safe was too much to keep inside.

"Shhh!!!" the man behind her hissed. He was a tall, skinny man with a wide, harsh face and ice-cold blue eyes. His gray hair was entangled and his dark coat torn and dirty. A big rough hand had a tight grip on Kerry's arm. John met her eyes and the frightened look in them cut inside him. He'd never seen such fear in any eyes before. It was so intense, it made the air thick. Then he noticed a long cut on her chin. The anger filled him once more and he was about to attack, but the desperate cry from Kerry stopped him.

"John...NO!" He froze. Then the man spoke.

"You don't want to do that, doc."

His other hand, until now hidden behind Kerry, now placed the revealed gun against her forehead. She flinched when the cold steel touched her and a weak gasp escaped her lips. Her eyes filled with tears. John had never felt so helpless and yet so filled with hate toward someone before. He wanted that man to die. But right now it was Steven holding the gun.

"Now I believe that's the money you have there?" Steven asked, pointing towards the suitcase.

"Yes, that's the money."

"Good...." His laughter was icy.

Kerry shivered and closed her eyes. Her lips moved, speaking a silent prayer. John could feel the tears surfacing in his eyes and he forced himself to look away.

"Okay, doc. Hand it over."

"Let Kerry go first," John begged.

Steven laughed once more. "Don't push your luck, pal." Steven shook his head, keeping the evil smile on his lips. A smile that never reached his eyes. John felt trapped. He didn't know what to do. He was afraid Steven would hurt Kerry when he handed over the money. He couldn't let that happen. He looked at Kerry. She was weeping, keeping her eyes on the ground. John slowly raised the suitcase toward Steven. He watched him very closely. Then things happened very fast. Steven switched the gun to his left hand, so he could grip the suitcase of money instead of the money.. John made his move and pulled Kerry away, placing himself between them. Steven's eyes became confused, then desperate. The suitcase fell to the ground. John reached for the gun, but Steven was too quick. A loud bang echoed through the alley.

"John! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!"

Then everything went black.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)