The Devil in Disguises
Chapter One - Drinks For Everyone
By Ayoe
ayoe.lang@get2net.dk

Written after seeing "Stuck On You" - Season 5

"ER" and all its characters belong to Warner Bros. No infringement of their copyright is intended. This story was written for the enjoyment of "ER" fans everywhere, and may be downloaded for your own pleasure. However this story may not be used, distributed or archived without the permission of the author.

Rated: NC17 - harsh language and sexual contents.

A HUGE thanks to my excellent editor Cathy Roberts...don't know what I should do without you!!!

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

God, he was tired. Work took away all of his energy these days. Even though he knew it was wrong, he was so sick of Lucy and her stupid questions. He knew that she had to ask them, but it was so annoying. Earlier, he had complained to Benton, asking how he had ever put up with him. Benton simply said, "I never gave you any thought, Carter. Med students don't know anything. It's your job to teach them, not to be their friend." Benton was right about that, but his words had hurt. John had considered Peter Benton to be one of his only friends, but maybe he was wrong him? But John was in desperate need of a friend, and Benton was the only one at the hospital that he had just the slightest relationship with. With friends like Benton, who needed enemies?

He parked the jeep a few meters from the house. "This must be the place," he said to him self and slammed the cardoor behind him. He was still furious at Lucy. Well, it really was his own fault he'd been thrown out of the dorm. Man, what would his father say?! The way he was complaining about the job in the first place, what would he say when John had actually gotten fired for screwing up!? Maybe he should just tell him he'd quit it and found another place to live. But he wasn't sure Gamma could keep her mouth shut. She knew - since he was staying with her until he found a new place. But not for long. They were still not the best of friends.

He rang the doorbell and shook off the cold. His smile turned into surprise when the door was opened.

"Dr. Weaver?!!"

"Carter?!" she said sounding just as surprised. "What are you...what are you doing here?" She studied him frowning.

He found the piece of paper that he'd written the address on. Not to check it really, bust to avoid the investigating look on Kerry's face that was about to make him blush. He was sure the address was the the correct one. "I came to see the room for rent. Is this the right address?" He felt so stupid.

Kerry smiled and made a giggle. "It is. I rent out my apartment....um, the basement."

It wasn't just the glass of whiskey in her hand that told him she'd been drinking. Her voice said so, too. He was a bit uncomfortable by the hole thing. He'd never seen Kerry like this before. The only time he'd seen her outside of the hospital and been at the annual parties, and even then she was always in the role of Dr. Weaver.

"Would you like to see it?" she asked.

"Ammmm.....sure," it just popped out. If he knew this was Kerry's place, then he'd never have considered it. And now he was telling her that he'd like to see it?!

"You know, I don't usually advertise in the hospital because I always thought it would be kinda, you know, awkward," she rambled.

Now was his chance to get away: "Ah! Sure. Well, hey. If you'd rather not..." in his mind he was already on his way to the car.

"Noooaaw," she said with a tone of absolutely indifference. "I was just having a drink."

Something told him that she'd had more that one. She was so unlike everything he'd ever expected her to be. Not knowing what else to do, he nodded.

"Would you like one?" she said encouragingly. He looked up and down the street. This was like the Twilight Zone. Dr. Weaver asking him in for a drink.

"Sure." What was he doing?!!!

"Good, good." Kerry moved aside to let him enter.

When he passed her, their eyes met and he saw a spark there that he'd never noticed before.

"Did you do something to your hair?" she asked closing the door.

John laughed. "I shaved off the beard, Dr. Weaver!"

"Oh, right," Kerry laughed, waving the glass in her hand. "Sorry. I've had more than one."

"I think you have," he joked.

"So what would you like....to drink that is?," Kerry asked with a very implying tone in her voice.

"Oh, am...whiskey is fine." He could feel himself blush. Was she always like this when she was drunk?

"I'm sorry. I'm embarrassing you." She got a glass and filled it with Jack Daniel's.

"Thank you," he said when she handed it to him.

"Let me show you the basement," she said, leading him to the stairs.

The basement was one large room with a bathroom and much better than the dorm. It was bigger, and having his own bathroom would be nice.

"You like it?" Kerry asked.

"It's perfect!" John nodded.

"No it's not," she laughed. "You can use the kitchen when ever you want. We'll split the fridge. And you can use the washing machine and the dryer, too. Let me show you the rest of the place."

They went back to the main level and Kerry showed him around there. The place had a nice, warm atmosphere all over. Then Kerry grabbed his arm and dragged him up the stairs.

"You know, I've never shown my room to the other renters, but since it's you, I'll give you the Grand Tour."

The room at the end of the stairs was used as an office. It was filled with books and papers all over. This woman never took a day off. He noticed a bathroom behind the door half-closed beside him. but before he could look inside, Kerry quickly dragged him to the next room, seeming somewhat embarrassed by the mess. This was her bedroom. It was also filled with books, pilling up beside her bed. She was even working when she should be sleeping.

Kerry set her glass on the dresser, dropped her crutch on the floor and jumped onto the bed. "I love this room," she moaned. John made and uncomfortable giggle. "Isn't this room great? The only thing is....nothing fun ever happens here." She sat up and looked directly at John. "You have a lot of fun, don't you?"

"Dr. Weaver....I...um," he stuttered.

"Carter. Call me Kerry. We're not a work. Sit down here." She laid back down.

John was fidgeting not sure what to do. Finally he placed his glass next to Kerry's and sat beside her staying on the edge of the bed.

"My life is so boring," Kerry continued her complaint. "The only thing I have is my job. And you know, I'm sick of it." There were tears in her eyes and she closed them.

John knew what it was like. His life was just as empty. Roxanne was all he had outside the hospital, and that was just for sex. Kerry didn't even have that as far as he could tell.

"I'm sick of it..." Her voice trailed off. Then she was asleep.

John sat there for a while, just watching the sleeping woman's breathe. She was really a very attractive woman. If only she would lighten up a little and cut back on work, she could get just about any man she wanted. She was beautiful, smart, and had a good sense of humor. What all men were looking for. She even had a great body. Something John had never noticed before. She was always hiding it. Just like now. Gray trousers, a blue shirt and a gray cardigan. But the cardigan wasn't covering her body any more and he could see a beautiful, curvy figure underneath.

He signed and stood. He might as well head back to his grandparents. He took a final look on the sleeping body, then walked down the stairs and out to his car, locking the door of her house behind him.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Kerry had been so embarrassed the next day at work. She'd avoided him most of the day, but in the late afternoon he cornered her. "Dr. Weaver!"

"Carter! Hey!" She was already trying to sneak away.

"Dr. Weaver, could I talk to you for a second?" He figured calling her 'Dr. Weaver' instead of 'Kerry' would make her relax a bit. He pointed towards the lounge.

"Um, sure" she hesitated.

They went to the lounge. She waited until the door was completely shot, and then she said: "I'm so sorry about yesterday...."

"It's okay Kerry," he cut her off.

"I had a really bad day at work," she went on. "I've been applying as the new..."

"I know. Mark told me. I asked him if something was wrong with you. He told me."

"You didn't tell him about...you know....yesterday, did you?" she asked nervously.

"Of cause I didn't, Kerry," John said with a laugh.

There was a soothing pause and Kerry relaxed a little.

"So when can I move in?"

"You still want to...." Kerry's voice trailed off. "I'll bring you a key tomorrow. Then it's up to you?"

John smiled: "I'm a quick mover..." He blushed. "That didn't come out right."

Kerry laughed. She had a great laugh. But she really used it. For some reason he wanted so much to hear as often as possible from now on.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

To be continued....