Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Unanswered Prayers
By Cari
cxcarleo@orion.naz.edu

This piece starts in January 2001.

Author's note: This is going on the unlikely premise that the staff, especially Mark, has not heard from Susan since she left for Phoenix. The song used in this piece is Garth Brooks' "Unanswered Prayers."

I do not own any of the characters except for those I created and make no money from their use.

Thanks go to Rachel and Lori for their help with this piece.

Please let me know what you think.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

"Is it me, or do Chicago winters get colder by the year?" Mark asked as he walked into the ER through the ambulance bay. He headed to the lounge, stamping the snow off his boots as he walked. "You off Carter?" he asked, seeing the younger doctor putting on layers of clothing?

"Yup, I've been on all night and am now going to sit home, make a fire and just sleep. How bad is the snow?"

"It's still coming down," Mark said as he put away his parka. As he did, a small folded piece of blue paper caught his eye. He opened it to reveal a short note written in Elizabeth's delicate script.

Mark-

Sorry that I wasn't there when you woke up this morning, I was needed to scrub in for an 8 AM appendectomy. That was my only scheduled surgery for the day so I will be in my office most of the day. Hope to see you later.

Love,
Me


Mark was focusing on the letter so much that he almost missed hearing Carter call, "Goodbye Dr. Greene. Dr. Kovac is still on so he can run the board with you."

"Thanks Carter. Have a good day."

Mark poured himself a cup of coffee to warm himself up and then walked to the desk. "Slow morning?" he asked the small group of doctors sitting around the admit desk.

"Very much so," Luka said. "I think the snow is keeping all the non critical patients at home. So if and when it ever stops, you may have a flood of people."

"Let it snow," Mark said with a smile.

"One patient, Mr. Stein had a mild myocardial infarction and is just awaiting a bed upstairs. He's stable and we allowed his wife to stay back with him to keep him company. A bed should be available in about ten to fifteen minutes. Nora Locke is a fifteen year old female, 32 weeks pregnant. OB is in with her and will discharge her once they finish going over prenatal care. The third patient is a 64 year old man who suffered a stroke. He is in Exam 2 awaiting the results of his CT scan."

"OK, thanks."

Mark was looking over some of that day's charts when Randi said, "Dr. Greene, the labs are back on Mr. Lewis in 2."

"OK," Mark said, stopping to look at the scans before talking to the family. As he opened the door, he saw a man lying in bed resting peacefully and thought that he looked vaguely familiar. "Hi. I am Dr. Greene. How are you feeling Mr. Lewis?"

"A little better although I still feel weak."

"That's normal following a stroke. I have the results of your CT scan."

"Would you mind waiting for my daughter? She just went to make a phone call. She is a doctor and I'm sure she will have questions for you."

"No problem. Let me just run a few tests while we wait for her," Mark said as he took his pen light out of his pocket to check Mr. Lewis' pupil reflexes. He then had Mr. Lewis squeeze his hands to test for motor strength.

Just the other night a hometown football game
My wife and I ran into my old high school flame
And as I introduced them the past came back to me
And I couldn't help but think of the way things used to be

She was the one that I'd wanted for all times
And each night I'd spend prayin' that God would make her mine
And if he'd only grant me this wish I wished back then
I'd never ask for anything again

Just a few minutes later, Mark heard the door open behind him and Mr. Lewis said. "This is my daughter, Susan. Please meet Dr. Greene."

Mark turned, unable to believe his ears. "Susan," he said.

"Hi Mark, I wondered when we got here if you were still at County."

"I am," Mark said with a nervous laugh. There was a level of uncomfortability in the room as neither Mark nor Susan knew what to say to each other. "Why don't we look at your scans Mr. Lewis," Mark said. "It's only a mild stroke and there appears to be very little damage. However, I would still like to call in a neurology consult."

"I'd agree," Susan said. "Is anyone on call?"

"I'll go check on that right now. I'll be back in just a few minutes."

Mark walked out to the desk and saw Elizabeth standing there speaking with Abby. Elizabeth saw that he appeared shaken. "Are you OK?" she asked.

"I need to call for a neurology consult, but do you have a minute?"

"Sure, I finished with the consult I came down for."

"Randi, call neurology for a consult on Mr. Lewis in Exam 2. I'll be in...Exam 1," Mark said after glancing at the board to see what was open.

Elizabeth followed Mark into the room and as he shut the door, she put a hand on his arm and asked, "What's the matter?"

Mark removed his glasses and wiped his eyes wearily. "Did I ever tell you about Susan Lewis who used to work here?"

"You mentioned her from time to time," Elizabeth said, puzzled.

"It's her father who is the patient, and she brought him in. This is the first time I've seen or heard from her since she left more than four years ago. I wanted you to hear that she was here from me because I know how bad the rumor mill can be. She and I were very close, we helped each other through some very rough times, but we were never more than friends."

"Thank you for being up front with me. I really appreciate it. Is her father OK?"

"He will be. He suffered a minor stroke and I called in the neurological consult to do further tests."

"Most likely. You mentioned that Susan brought him in. Is she visiting or...?"

"I don't know," Mark admitted. "I was so shocked to see her that it didn't even occur to me."

Elizabeth heard her pager go off and said, "That's Shirley. I better go see what she needs. I hope Susan's father is OK. Maybe you'll have time to go for coffee with her or something just to get to talk. I will see you later, I am on until 6."

"Thanks, I'm on until 8," Mark said. "I love you," he added as he gave Elizabeth a kiss.

"Love you too," she said, walking out the door.

About an hour later, Mark went back into Exam 2 after having read on the neurologist's comments on Susan's dad's chart. Susan was sitting next to her dad holding his hand. "How do you feel Mr. Lewis?" Mark asked.

"A little better."

"We're just waiting for a bed to open up," Susan added. "They want to run some more tests."

"And I'm trying to convince her to go eat," Mr. Lewis said with a smile. "Please tell her that I will be fine while she goes to the cafeteria."

"Come with me to Docs," Mark said. "I'll have the desk page me if he needs anything or if they're ready to move him. As a doctor, you know that you need to eat."

Susan looked at her dad and said, "I guess I know when I'm outvoted. Have them page Mark if you need anything."

"I will do that."

She wasn't quite the angel that I remembered in my dreams
And I could tell that time had changed me
In her eyes too it seemed
We tried to talk about the old days
There wasn't much we could recall
I guess the Lord knows what he's doin' after all

Mark and Susan entered Docs and as they took a booth and ordered hot chocolate and a donut, Susan said, "This place hasn't changed a bit."

"And I doubt it ever will," Mark said. "When did you get to Chicago?"

"Three days ago. It's weird to be back. Every other year since Chloe and I moved, mom and dad have come out to Phoenix but my husband was transferred to Texas last summer and we couldn't make it back for dad's visit so I took a week off and came out here. I called the number I had for you but it was disconnected."

"I moved just this past fall. My fiancee, well, now my wife and I bought a new house."

"You're married as well?"

"Yes, in November. Elizabeth is a surgeon at County. When did you get married?"

"Two years ago. Mike is an executive with a trucking firm. How is Rachel doing? Do you still get to see her as much as you like?"

"Not really because she and Jen moved to St. Louis two years ago. She comes up here for some holidays and she flew with me to San Diego this fall after my dad died so we got to spend some time together then. Elizabeth and I just told Rachel that we're expecting a baby in July so she's exciting about being a big sister."

"I'm sorry to hear about your father but congratulations on the pregnancy news."

"Thank you. Do you and Mike have any children?"

"Yes, a son, Richard. He is 7 months old. Let me show you a picture," Susan said, reaching into her purse.

"He's adorable."

"Thanks. It sounds like we're both doing well. Is there anyone else I would know still at County? I didn't recognize anyone at the desk except Lydia."

"There have been many changes in the past few years. Doug and Carol are living in Seattle with their 14 month old daughters, Jeannie left last year after she got married to take care of her adopted son. Kerry is still here as Chief of Emergency Services. Carter and Peter are still here as well and there are a lot of new doctors."

"Wow, Doug and Carol, I never imagined..."

"It surprised us all. If I had three hours, I would tell you the whole story but the short version is they got back together a few months after you left. Doug moved to Seattle in February of 1999 and Carol followed in May of last year. They finally got married this past summer here before Carol moved out there for good."

"I'm glad that they are happy together. If you have their phone number or e-mail address, I'd love to get it before I leave."

"Sure. That's not a problem at all. How are Chloe and Suzy?"

"They're both good. Chloe has been going to night school and will graduate in May with her degree in Accounting. Suzy is in kindergarten this year and loves school. I miss living near them but we get together once a month or so."

"That's good."

Susan heard her pager go off and saw it was her mother's work number. "Excuse me while I call my mother back," Susan said. "She doesn't know yet as I have been unable to reach her all day."

"Use my cell phone," Mark offered.

"Thanks."

Susan hung up about 5 minutes later and said, "She's going to be at the hospital in 20 minutes."

"That's good. I should probably be getting back. I'm glad we got to sit down and talk though."

"Me too."

As they walked back into the ER, Mark saw that Elizabeth was at the desk again. "Susan, walk with me. I want to introduce you to my wife." They walked over to the desk and Mark said, "Elizabeth, I want you to meet my good friend Susan Lewis. Susan, this is my wife Elizabeth Corday."

"Actually Mark, it's Susan Williams now," Susan said with a laugh.

"Sorry about that," Mark said.

"It's a pleasure to meet you," Elizabeth said.

"Same here," Susan said.

They chatted for a few moments before Susan excused herself. "I want to go check on my dad," she explained.

"Not a problem, I hope he's feeling better."

"Thank you."

Mark added, "Let us know what room they put him in and if you two need anything."

"I will, thank you," Susan said as she walked toward Exam 2.

And as she walked away and I looked at my wife
And then and there I thanked the good Lord
For the gifts in my life

Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers
Remember when you're talkin' to the man upstairs
That just because he may not answer doesn't mean he don't care
Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

November 17, 2000