Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

The Way You Love Me
By Carianne
cxcarleo@naz.edu

Yet another random standalone from me, although it could be seen as a sequel to "May Day and Beyond," I guess. This is set sometime between Seasons 6 and 7 and there are spoilers through the end of season 6.

A basic summary is that Elizabeth has been really stressed out with work and Mark wants to do something special for her.

This is the PG version but there is an NC17 version available.

Thanks to Rachel and Lori for helping me with this. I do not own any of the characters and make no money from their use. I made up the name of the park where they went and the song used in the piece is "The Way You Love Me" by Faith Hill.

Please e-mail me with any feedback.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

It was around 1 PM on Wednesday July 26th and Elizabeth was looking forward to finally getting off work. She had only been on since 6 AM, covering the ER but had worked many long days this week in the OR and just needed to relax.

Unfortunately, relaxing at her apartment had become somewhat impossible because her neighbor's children were out of school and were quite loud during the day. Luckily, she had caught up with Mark that morning before he went off duty.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)
FLASHBACK
bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Elizabeth was in the lounge making herself a cup of coffee around 7 AM due to a momentary lull in the masses of walking wounded that had made their way to County that morning. Just as she sat on the couch, Mark walked in to get his stuff from his locker.

"Hey," he said, going over to give her a kiss. "You look exhausted, are you OK?"

"I am exhausted," she said, pulling her knees underneath her. "I have worked 30 hours in the past two and a half days."

"Why did you get called in today? I didn't see you on the original schedule."

"Peter left early, he took ill and Kerry called me in."

"When are you on until?"

"1 PM."

"You going to head home after that and sleep?"

"I want to sleep, but it's not going to happen at my apartment. My neighbor's kids are on summer vacation and she has family here on holiday so there is no quiet at all. I actually meant to ask you, do you think I could crash at your apartment for a few hours? Just to get some rest."

"Of course. I have some errands I need to run, but you have the key. I'm not sure what time I'll be home, but I'll try to be quiet when I get in."

"Thank you, I really appreciate this. I will see you later. I love you."

"Love you too," he said, kissing her.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)
END FLASHBACK
bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Elizabeth walked out of the ER, calling a tired goodbye to those gathered at the desk. She walked out into the Chicago heat and thought to herself how glad she was that Mark's apartment was air-conditioned.

Upon arriving at Mark's, she walked into the kitchen and found a note from Mark that read:

Hi-

I figured you would want to change when you got home, so I washed the clothes you left here the other day. They are on the bed. I have a few errands to take care of, so I should be home by three or so. Sleep well and I will see you when I get home.

Love,
Me


After taking a quick shower, Elizabeth emerged from the bathroom wearing only a towel wrapped around her body. Not finding any of her nightclothes in the drawer she shared with Mark, she opted to borrow something of his. After slipping his pale blue, oversized County General t-shirt over her head and allowing the towel to slip to the floor, Elizabeth crawled into bed and was asleep in moments.

Elizabeth woke up a few hours later and was very surprised to see the clock read 6:00 PM. She was amazed that the apartment was still so quiet and wondered where Mark was. Then, she took notice of a note on the night table for her. Rubbing the last bit of sleep from her eyes, she read

Elizabeth-

I was glad to see that you were getting some well-deserved rest. You must really have been tired since you didn't move at all when I came in. I left something for you in the kitchen

Love,
Me


Elizabeth dressed quickly in a long skirt and spaghetti strapped tank top, in case the surprise was someone waiting in the kitchen. When she walked into the kitchen, she saw a single rose lying on top of another note.

Hey-

I'm glad you made it this far. There are more where this came from if you'll join me at the entrance to Reinheimer Park when you wake up.

Love,
Me


Elizabeth smiled and thought to herself, "I love it when Mark is spontaneous." She gathered her purse and headed out to her car to make the 20 minute drive to the park.

Mark was waiting near the main parking lot of Reinheimer Park, and when he saw Elizabeth pull in, he handed a rose and another note to a young man of about 20 who he had arranged this with and slipped out of site.

Elizabeth looked around for Mark when the young man approached her, "Dr. Corday, a Dr. Greene said that you would be expecting this."

Elizabeth took the second red rose as well as the note and said, "Thank you." As she walked away, she unfolded the piece of paper and began to read.

Hi again-

Don't you just love surprises? You're getting closer, I can feel it, and I can't wait. Take the main trail to the end and then make a right through the brush.

Love,
Me


Elizabeth tucked the note into her pocket and followed the directions that Mark gave her. After about seven minutes of walking, she reached an open clearing, and saw a blanket spread on the ground. Next to it was a picnic table set nicely for two, complete with a large bouquet of red roses. Mark walked over to her and said, "I'm glad you made it."

"I am too. This is gorgeous. Thank you, but I have to ask why you did it?"

"I wanted to do something special for you, you've been so stressed out and you need a break so I thought this would work nicely."

"Definitely, a picnic is exactly what I needed. Did I mess up your plans by sleeping this afternoon?"

"Not at all. I wanted to do it late afternoon anyway. Did you sleep well?" Mark asked, walking Elizabeth over to the edge of the lake and standing next to her with his arm around her waist.

"Very well. I didn't even here you come back at all," Elizabeth said, laying her head on Mark's shoulder.

"You were out for the count. You didn't even move when I covered you with the sheet."

"I was so tired when I got back, I just showered and fell into bed. I've been working crazy hours lately."

"You really have, and I've missed you."

"Thanks, I've missed you too."

"Do you feel like eating? I'm starting to get hungry."

"That sounds good."

They walked over to the picnic table and Mark took out two subs, one turkey and one tuna. He broke each sub in half so they each had half turkey and half tuna. He then took out two bottles of water. "No alcoholic beverages allowed in the park," he said by way of explanation.

"That's OK. I'm on call anyway so I shouldn't have any."

"You're still on call?"

"Yes, because Peter is ill. However, I told Kerry before I left that I was so tired I didn't feel capable of running a trauma, much less operating. I'm hoping that she will not call me in."

"Me too. You need a night of uninterrupted sleep and some down time."

"I do. Don took one look at my schedule for this weekend and offered to take my Saturday shift. I am scheduled 6AM-9PM Friday, then 6AM-midnight Saturday and noon to 10PM Sunday in the ER. I just can't handle those hours," Elizabeth said, sounding frustrated.

"No one can," Mark said, reaching for her hand to reassure her. "It's just not reasonable."

"I don't want to think about it right now, I want to enjoy this beautiful evening."

"I hope it helps you relax," Mark said, a little worried as he sensed there was more bothering Elizabeth than she was letting on.

"It has already."

About 20 minutes later after they had finished eating, Elizabeth was lying on the blanket on her side, facing the water. Mark gently eased himself down onto the blanket behind her. He put an arm around her and took her hand. He also put his chin over her shoulder, kissed the side of her face and asked, "Penny for your thoughts?"

"Nothing much. Just watching the scenery on the lake. It is so nice, a good stress relief."

"I agree. You know what I wonder?"

"What?"

"What about taking some time off? You and I both have a ton of vacation that we haven't used, despite my dad's illness. You mentioned that you liked San Diego when we were out there for the funeral. Why don't we spend a week or so out there, or someplace else, just to get away?"

"Oh Mark, I don't know..."

"Why not? I think it would be a lot of fun to take a vacation together."

"It would, and it's not that I don't want to go."

"What is it then?"

"Is it really worth the argument that we'll have to put up against Romano?"

"We'll find some other way. I'll talk to Kerry and see if she can help us. We're entitled to our vacation."

"OK, I just don't know if I want to add another thing to my to do list."

"I tell you what, I'll handle the preparations."

"OK," Elizabeth assented. She rolled over to face Mark and asked, "Will you hold me for a little while?"

"Sure," Mark said, wrapping his arms around her lovingly. He reached one hand under the back of her tank top and began to rub her back.

Elizabeth lay her head on Mark's shoulder and after a minute or two, he felt something a little wet on his neck. While continuing to rub her back, he whispered, "If crying helps, let it all go."

"I can't," Elizabeth said turning her head slightly to face Mark and reaching her hand up to wipe her eyes.

Mark intercepted and grasped his hand and interlaced her fingers with his. "You will feel better if you let it go."

"It's stupid because it's not even anything worth crying over."

"If it's something that upsets you, you can cry."

"Can you teach my mother that? She is of the firm belief that one should not cry unless a family member has passed on."

"Well she's not here and I say forget that. It's definitely OK to cry, it can help relieve stress. When you keep it all bottled inside, it's not healthy," Mark said looking into Elizabeth's tearful eyes.

"My head knows that. It has just been ingrained into me for so long that crying is wrong that it's hard to let myself cry. I usually fight it as much as possible."

"I think I know what you're saying, and I have an idea. Why don't I just hold you like I was and if you feel you can cry, do it, and if not you can just relax. Just know that I am here for you no matter what and will never judge you."

"I'd like that," Elizabeth said softly.

She lay her head back down on Mark's shoulder and he rubbed her back. The only indication that she had started to cry again was that Mark's neck felt a little more wet. He didn't let on that he knew, just continued to rub her back.

It is sometime later, and Mark and Elizabeth are in her car driving back, as Mark had taken the El to the park. Traffic is slowing down, and as Mark turns on the radio to try to get a traffic report he asks Elizabeth, "Are you coming to my apartment or do you want me to take you home?"

"I'd rather spend the night, if you don't mind."

"Of course not. I have to work early, but I'll be quiet and this way you can get some more good rest."

"Plus I always sleep better with you around," Elizabeth said with a smile.

As Mark is flipping stations he picks up a country station and the sound fills the car.

If I could grant you one wish
I wish you could see the way you kiss
I love watching you baby
When you're me crazy

I love the way you love the way you love me
(The way that you laugh and breathe and smile
When you touch me, drive me wild)
There's nowhere else I'd rather be
To feel the way I feel with your arms around me
(I melt and spin and fall again)
I only wish you could see the way you love me (love me)
Whoa, oh oh, the way you love me

It's not right, it's not fair
What you're missing over there
Someday I'll find a way to show you
Just how lucky I am to know you

I love the way you love the way you love me
(The way that you laugh and breathe and smile
When you touch me, drive me wild)
There's nowhere else I'd rather be
To feel the way I feel with your arms around me
(I melt and spin and fall again)
I only wish you could see the way you love me (love me)
Whoa, oh oh, the way you love me

You're the million reasons why
There's the love reflecting in my eyes
I love the way you love the way you love me
(The way that you laugh and breathe and smile
When you touch me, drive me wild)
There's nowhere else I'd rather be
To feel the way I feel with your arms around me
(I melt and spin and fall again)
I only wish you could see the way you love me (love me)
Whoa, oh oh, the way you love me
The way love me (love me)
Whoa oh oh, the way you love me


Elizabeth leans over toward Mark and gives him a gentle kiss; "I love you. Tonight was really special. Thank you."

"I love you too," Mark said, returning the kiss and taking hold of Elizabeth's hand as they sat in traffic.

It took them nearly an hour to get home, and when they pulled up to his apartment, Mark looked over and saw that Elizabeth had fallen asleep. He smiled, went around the car and gently lifted her out of the car and carried her up to his apartment.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

-September 14, 2000

Kerry: "You need to go talk to him about this."
Elizabeth: "It would be a lot easier if I knew how he was going to react."