Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Our Little Angel / Good To Be Home
Part 7
By Cari
cxcarleo@naz.edu

Note: I have no idea whether there is actually a University of Kentucky Medical Center but for this story, there is one.

Both of these titles seem to work equally well for this piece, so that's why this piece has two titles. This one is a little shorter than some of my others, but this seemed to be the right place to end it.

Other than the characters of Lisa, an OB/GYN nurse in the hospital, Mr. Diedric, Dr. Stevenson and Dr. Colleen Richards whom I have created for this series, I do not own any of the characters and make no money from this piece.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Around 6:30 AM, the telephone rang at Mark and Elizabeth's. "Who the hell is calling this early? I thought we were off today," Mark mumbles.

"I don't know.... Hello?" Elizabeth says, answering the telephone. What?!...Wow...Of course, we'll be right there."

"Major accident?" Mark asks, starting to throw on his clothes.

"No, that was Doug. Carol is in labor."

Luka was standing outside the ambulance bay door when he saw a jeep come speeding into the parking lot. Sensing that he might be needed, he headed in the direction of the now stopped jeep. As he approached, he saw a man that he recognized as Carol's husband step out. "Dr. Kovac, get a wheel chair please. Carol is in labor."

"Of course."

They helped her out of the jeep and wheeled her in. Parking Carol by the desk, Doug held Carol's hand as he called her doctor. "Hello, this is Dr. Ross. My wife Carol Hathaway Ross is a patient of Dr. Stevenson. She has gone into labor" There is a pause as the other party says something. "What do you mean the doctor isn't in?" Doug barked into the telephone. "Yes, I know it is Christmas morning. That means nothing to the baby!" Doug yelled, slamming the telephone down.

Just then, Mark and Elizabeth came running in, having heard Doug yelling and knowing that is not a good sign.

Carol sees Mark and asks, "Please, take him and calm him down."

"Of course, what's the matter?"

"My doctor is out of town and they can't reach the person who is covering for him."

As Mark walks over to Doug, Elizabeth went to the telephone and made a call. "Hey Lisa... It is Elizabeth. Is Colleen in today by any chance? She is? Great. Yep, I'll hold." There is a pause and then Elizabeth says, "Hi Colleen, it's Elizabeth. I have a favor to ask of you. My friend Carol, the charge nurse down here is in labor and her doctor is out of town...Would you? Great thanks."

Elizabeth turns to Carol and says, "Colleen Richards, a former neighbor of mine, and the associate chief of obstetrics is on her way down. Now let's get you into one of the exam rooms."

Carol lets Elizabeth help her onto the table and into a gown just as Mark and Doug come back in.

Doug says, "I'm sorry I lost my cool, you don't need that now."

"It's ok. I about lost mine too. Elizabeth's friend, the associate chief of obstetrics, is coming down, she should be here any minute."

With that, the exam room door opened and a young, dark-haired woman in her 30s came in. "Hi Elizabeth, Mark." Turning to Carol, she said, "My name is Colleen Richards, you must be Carol."

"Yes, and this is my husband Doug."

Dr. Richards examines Carol and says, "You're about 8 cm dilated. I would estimate we have about 15 minutes to a half hour. I would like to stay down here since we are already set up. Would that be ok with you?"

"Yes, can Mark and Elizabeth stay in here?"

"As long as it's ok with you, I have no problems with it." Taking a good look at Doug, Colleen says, "I can't shake the feeling that I know you from somewhere."

"I used to work here at County until May. I am a pediatrician."

"No, that's not it. Where did you do your residency?"

"Sinai in NY."

"Hmm... I did mine at University of Kentucky Medical Center."

"Are you from Kentucky? That is where I lived for a while when I was a child."

"Yes, I'm from Bluestone, lived there all of my life until I went to college."

"That's where I lived. What was your maiden name?"

"Aarons, I didn't catch your last name."

"Ross...I remember you.... 4th grade Mr. Diedric's class."

"Oh my gosh! Dougie Ross. You used to steal my hat on the playground."

"Now that sounds like something I can see you doing," Carol chimed in.

Fade to black with the all of them laughing.

Cut to show time lapse of about ten minutes. Colleen is now at the foot of the bed, "One more push, Carol. I can see the head. You can do it."

Doug and Elizabeth are each holding one of Carol's hands, and Mark has his hand on her shoulder. At the end of Carol's push, Colleen started to stand and they were greeted with the sound of a loud wail.

Mark said with a laugh, "I would venture to guess her lungs are perfectly healthy."

"You have a beautiful baby girl," Colleen said, not knowing that they already knew the baby's sex. "Doug, do you want to cut the cord?"

He does and then they wrap the baby in a blanket and hand her to Carol.

"Hi Emma," Carol says. She has tears in her eyes. "Do you know who you're named after? You are named after your grandma who has been watching over you. Gabriel was her feast name in Russia when she was a little girl. Emma Gabriel is your name."

To give Carol and Doug some moments alone with the baby, Mark and Elizabeth go out to give everyone the good news.

Doug said to Carol, "The middle name is appropriate, given her birthday and the story of the Angel Gabriel."

"It is. I think she was born today for a reason. Mama knew I was upset, this being the first Christmas without her. So she sent a gift," Carol said trailing into tears.

"I agree," Doug said comforting Carol as best he could. "We have our little angel right here with us. And she's every bit as beautiful as her mom."

"But she has your eyes"

They both started to laugh as the baby grabbed Carol's finger.

Later, Carol was settled in a room upstairs, and the baby was in the nursery so Carol could get some rest. The room was filled with flowers and balloons that people had sent or brought up.

Carol had fallen asleep, and Doug had gone down to the cafeteria to get some food. While standing on line, he ran into Don Anspaugh, who he had not seen since he had come back to Chicago. "Hey Doug. I had heard you were back in Chicago. Welcome back. You getting lunch for Carol?"

"No, for me. Carol just had the baby and she's resting so I came down to get something to eat."

"Congratulations. What did she have?"

"A girl. Emma Gabriel. I'm going to sit here and eat because Carol is asleep, would you care to join me?"

"Sure. I have missed you Doug. This hospital has not been the same since you left."

"A lot quieter, I'm sure."

"Well...Yes, but that's not what I mean. The pedes department has not been the same...I understand you're doing mainly administrative work at Mercy?"

"Yes. I miss seeing the kids."

"Do you think you'd take a job where you get to see more patients?"

"I would love a job like that. I took this job in administration to come back to Chicago to be with Carol."

"We never did fill your old position when you left. Let me see what I can do, and I will get back to you, ok?"

"That's great."

"Give my best to Carol, ok?"

"I will."

Doug was back in Carol's room that afternoon, when Elizabeth and Mark came in, each carrying a tray. "If you can't come to Christmas dinner," Elizabeth said, "We bring it to you."

"Thanks guys."

Mark pulled the tray over to Carol's bed so he could put the food tray on it. "No hospital food for our good friends," Elizabeth said with a laugh, as they all began to eat.

About 15 minutes later, there was a knock at the door. They look up to see Don Anspaugh, "Am I interrupting?"

"Not at all," Carol said. "Come in."

He had brought Carol a congratulatory balloon, and Doug noticed he had a piece of paper in his hand. After spending a few minutes with the baby, Anspaugh said, "I need to get out of here to get to dinner with my family. Congratulations again."

Doug follows him as he walks out the door, leaving Carol, Mark and Elizabeth to wonder what is going on. "I'll be right back," he says by way of explanation.

Don asks Doug, "Do you have time for a quick meeting in my office?"

"Sure."

"Why don't you take a look at this first?"

Doug looks over a piece of paper as they wait for the elevator. The letter read

June 13, 1999

Dr. Ross-

You were a valuable asset to County while you were here. You are one of the best pediatricians in Chicago, if not in the mid West. County lost a lot when you left, and we are hoping that one day you might consider a return. Please be in touch and remember us here.

The letter was signed by Anspaugh, Kerry Weaver, and all of the members of the Board.

"I must say, I am in shock," Doug said.

"You're a great doctor. No one wanted to see you go. This letter was written the day that the Chicago police closed the investigation and cleared you of any wrongdoing. We just were not sure whether to send this to you. For a while, we did not have an address for you, and then we heard that Mercy had snatched you up. We thought then we had lost our chance."

"I have always wanted to come back. County was my first real home, and you guys are the only family I ever really had."

Entering Anspaugh's office, Doug was surprised to see Kerry sitting there.

"I take it this is a good sign that he's here with you," Kerry said.

"I would say it is."

Kerry said to Doug, "I wanted you to know that I fully agree with the idea of bringing you back here, in fact I encourage it. We may have had our personal differences in the past, and we may never be the best of friends, but you are a damn good doctor and an asset to County. I would love to have you back in the ER. The children need you. I would also like to try to put the past behind us and start anew."

"It means a lot to hear you say that. I am willing to start anew as well. I'll be glad to come home."

Cut to show a time lapse of about a half hour from when Doug left Carol's room with Anspaugh. Carol, Mark and Elizabeth are a little worried. "Do you have any idea what is going on?" Carol asked Mark.

"None at all. I doubt he could be in trouble already," Mark said with a laugh.

Just then, Doug walked into the room with an unmistakable grin on his face. Mark said, "I would venture a guess that everything is ok?"

"More than ok." Doug sat on the edge of Carol's bed and put his arm around her. He said, "I gave my notice right from Anspaugh's office. I'm coming home."

"Home?" Carol asked with a bewildered look on her face.

"Home. Back to County. Anspaugh gave me my old job back. I met him this morning in the cafeteria and he told me he would see what he could do. When he came down before, it was to give me this," Doug said, showing them the letter from the Board. "I went up to his office and had a meeting with he and Weaver who personally assured me that she wants me back. We then worked out the details, and he told me to take some time to get settled with the baby and all. But when you and I are ready, I can start back here...home..."

"I am so happy to hear that," Carol said.

"The ER has not been the same without you." Mark said, "I'll have my best friend back. And you are on for a game of hoops when you come back to work."

"I can't wait."

Elizabeth said, "I look forward to working with you again."

"It's good to be home," Doug said as it faded to black.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)