Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Aftermath of a Break Up
By Cari
cxcarleo@naz.edu

This is not a part of my series but rather a piece that came to mind as I watched John Carter, M.D., the season finale from Season 2, and has spoilers up through that episode. It's pretty much true to the episode in that Kerry got attending, Susan turned down Chief Resident, and Carol is annoyed at the events that were going on in the hospital, except for the purposes of this story, she did not quit. Also, Carol lives in an apartment for this story simply because it works better than a house.

Please e-mail me with any feedback.

As usual, I don't own any of the characters and make no money from their use.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

It is 9:00 PM, about two hours after Carol's shift had ended and she was walking back into the ER through the ambulance bay doors. "Hey Carol, what's with the sunglasses? It looks dark out there to me," Jerry called from the desk. Ignoring his question, Carol asked, "Are Doug or Susan around?" "Dr. Ross is with a patient, but I think Dr. Lewis is in the lounge." "Thanks, Jer," Carol said, walking off to the lounge.

She entered the lounge and was pleased to see that it was empty with the exception of Susan who was doing some charts. Susan looked up when the door opened and was surprised to see Carol enter, "Hey, I thought you were off hours ago." "I was," Carol said quietly, "What time are you off?" "10. What's with the glasses?" "If you don't have other plans, could I spend the night with you?" "Of course, why? Is everything ok?" Susan asked, concerned. Carol took off the glasses to reveal a blackened left eye, and a cut below the eyebrow. "Oh my god, Carol. What happened to you?" "Shep happened." "He did this to you!" "I tried to break up with him. I suggested a little while ago that he get help, but he refused. So I told him that I couldn't stay with him any longer, and this was his response."

Susan walked over to her friend and gently gave her a hug. "You can stay with me as long as you need. I think I should look at that eye. I think the cut will need stitches." "I'm just afraid to go back to my apartment alone. I know Shep will be watching for me. I'd just feel safer knowing I'm not alone and since your building has a doorman…. I need to go back to my apartment to get a few things, but I'm not going alone. I was going to ask Doug if he'd come with me." "Good idea."

They went to an empty exam room, and Susan gently examined Carol's face. "It doesn't look like the socket or any other bones are broken. And the cut won't need but a few stitches," Susan said as she numbed the area with novocaine. Carol winced in pain and Susan said, "Sorry sweetie. Almost done." "Thanks." About 20 minutes later, Susan had finished sewing Carol's cut. She looked out to the main room and said, "It looks like Doug is out of the trauma, do you want me to get him?" "Please!"

Susan exited the room and called, "Doug, I need your help with something." Walking over to Susan Doug said, "Is there anyway someone else can take it? I was supposed to be off an hour ago. I've been on all day." After looking around to make sure no one was listening, Susan said quietly, "It's not exactly about a regular patient, it's Carol…" "Is she all right?" Doug asked fearfully, remembering the last time Carol had been brought into the ER as a patient. Reading his mind, Susan said, "Don't worry, it's nothing like that. She needs to ask you a favor."

They walk into Exam 4, where Carol was lying on the table. Doug crosses the room quickly and immediately takes notice of her eye. "Oh my god! Who did this to you?" "Shep," Carol said with tears in her eyes. "I'm going to kill him," Doug said. "No," Carol said quickly. "Don't stoop to his level. He's not worth going to jail for." "I can't believe he did this to you. I've seen his temper but I thought even he would know better than to hit a lady. Please tell me this is a one-time thing." "Yes," Carol said quietly. "And I won't give him another opportunity." "That's the best decision." "I have a favor to ask you." "Of course, what do you need?" "I'm going to stay with Susan tonight because I don't feel safe alone. Her building has a doorman and all, but I need to go back to my apartment to get a few things. I'm afraid Shep will be watching for me. Would you go with me?" "Of course. Let me just get my stuff and we can go." "Susan, is that alright with you? We'll come back here after going to my apartment and then I'll ride home with you?" "Of course."

Doug and Carol pull up in front of Carol's apartment building. As they get out of his jeep, Carol holds on to Doug's hand very tightly. He tries to reassure her, but has never seen her this scared. They enter the building without incident, but as soon as they get off the elevator, they are not surprised to see Shep waiting outside Carol's door. "Please Shep, leave," Carol said. "No. I'm sorry. I didn't mean…." "I don't want to discuss this tonight, I just want you to leave." "But…" Doug interjected angrily, "She asked you to leave and I suggest you do it now before we call the police." This got Shep angry and he snapped, "Of course you always go running back to Dr. Ross. You don't care that all he wants you for is the sex because you're a whore.... That's all you are!" He storms off yelling, "Don't even think you've seen the last of me!" They wait until he is down the stairs before Carol opened her apartment. She is shaking badly, so Doug sits her down at the table to try and calm her. He rubs her back gently, but doesn't know any adequate words to say, so he doesn't say anything.

After a few minutes, she is somewhat calmer and says, "I should call the super and warn him that Shep may be hanging around." "Good idea." After she places the call and gathers what she will need for a few days, just in case, they are ready to leave. Doug checks the hall and stairwell first before calling to Carol, "It's clear." They walk out to his jeep and on the ride back to the hospital, Carol says, "Thank you." "It was no problem. Are you going to press charges?" "I'm seriously considering it. It may be the only way for him to get the help he needs." "You're right. I was glad to help you out tonight. I don't want you going back there alone at all. Please promise me you will get Mark or I to come with you if you need to go back?" "Yes," Carol said quietly.

They pull up to the hospital and Doug parks. Susan sees them and comes out to meet them because her shift ended a few minutes ago. Carol is standing with her back against the jeep, but she looks around every few seconds to make sure Shep is not there. "Was he at your apartment?" Susan asked. "Yes. Waiting for me. I knew he would be." "Oh shit. At least you were there, Doug. I already called and put my doorman on alert." "Thanks. I appreciate you letting me crash with you." "It's no problem at all." Doug asked Susan, "Did you want me to follow you two back to your apartment?" "I'd like that," Susan said. "I'm sure he isn't around, but you never know."

They get to Susan's building without incident. The doorman tells them, "I got the photo you faxed over and I know the gentleman who you speak of. I posted the picture so that others who come on duty will know too." "Thank you," Carol said. Doug walked them up to Susan's apartment and then said, "Just call or page me if you need anything. I'm headed home and am not on until noon tomorrow." "Thanks," Susan and Carol said. Carol gave Doug a hug and said, "Thanks for everything." "You're welcome. I'm here for you."

Susan got extra pillows and a blanket from the linen closet for the couch. "Are you sure you will be comfortable?" "I'll be fine," Carol assured Susan. As Susan readied the couch, Carol changed quickly. She came out of the bathroom just as Susan came out of her room, having changed as well. Susan sat down next to Carol on the couch and asked, "Are you going to press charges?" "As much as I don't want to, I think I will. He needs help." "He does. His temper is way out of control." "He screamed at Doug and I that we haven't seen the last of him, and I don't want to be afraid wherever I go." "You shouldn't have to be," Susan said, rubbing Carol's back. "You look exhausted, why don't you try to get some sleep?" "I think I will," Carol said.

She got settled on the couch, and Susan said, "You can put the TV on sleep timer if you want." "Thanks," Carol said accepting the remote. "Just come get me if you need anything." "I will, thanks again." "You're welcome."

Around 12:30 AM, Susan woke up with a start, but at first, she did not know why. Then she realized she heard a noise coming from the living room and quickly ran to check on Carol. She found her in the midst of a nightmare, shaking on the couch saying, "No Shep, no! Please don't…" Susan sat on the edge of the couch and gently woke up Carol, "Carol, wake up, it's just a dream." It took Carol a few seconds to open her eyes, and when she did, she looked around fearfully. "It's OK," Susan said. "It was just a bad dream, Shep's not here." "It was so real," Carol said, starting to cry.

Susan put her arms around her and as Carol lay her head on Susan's shoulder her eye came in contact with Susan's shoulder. Carol winced in pain and realized that not all of it was just a bad dream.

bar_er.jpg (2255 bytes)

Want to read more? E-mail me