Back at the Rendezvous II
Back at the Rendezvous II

TITLE: Back at the Rendezvous
AUTHOR: Sally
SUMMARY: Set after the events at Jabba's Palace in Return of the Jedi... what happened when the Millennium Falcon arrived at the rebel base
DISCLAIMER: All hail to George... I'm just messin' in his sandbox!

It did not seem to General Carlist Rieekan that it had been eight months since he had last paced the floor like this. Eight months since the freighter and an X-Wing had been both missing in action, along with their occupants. Nevertheless it was. Only now, time was most definitely running out. The Bothans Commander Skywalker had met had been able to pass along vital information, information that had to be acted upon, with or without the missing. This time at least, Rieekan knew where they were, but that brought little comfort.

Tatooine.

Jabba the Hutt’s palace.

What had possessed them?

But Rieekan knew what had possessed them. It was the smile of a cocky pirate. So often he had dug them out of trouble; now it was their turn to repay. And top of the list to repay were the Princess and Skywalker, who both owed their lives to the smuggler. Rieekan shivered again when his brain formed the image that the Princess Leia Organa had presented to him, of a man being frozen in carbonite. It was not a pleasant thought.

Why had Mon Mothma refused to offer to help? Young Leia had given everything to the Rebel Alliance and she had received no thanks. Not from Mon Mothma, the ice senator, or at least former senator, from Chandrila. At times Rieekan felt like telling Mon Mothma just how it really was. However, she had somehow kept the Alliance together after the defeat at Hoth and that had to be worth something. But it wasn’t Leia that was the issue with Mon Mothma; it was Solo. General Rieekan knew what had happened at Ylesia. He knew that Mon Mothma knew who Solo was. And that was why she was not prepared to give Leia and Skywalker the help they so desparately needed. Perhaps Mon Mothma did not think it was worth rescuing a mere smuggler.

But Leia and Luke had been driven on, bound by some unseen bond, determined to pull their friend out of Jabba’s clutches. Rieekan thought maybe he should have gone with them. He had kept Solo back himself so often when he knew Solo had debts to repay.

Finally the signal came in. It was broadcast on a low range and Rieekan tuned in the communication console. Please let them all be there, he thought, remembering the last time, when he had watched all but one come down the main ramp.

He thumbed the switch. “Falcon. This is base.” The ship was in visual now, flying in a way that suggested Lando Calrissian was still piloting it. “Do you copy?” “You could say that. It’s good to have you all back with us again.”

There was a muttered exchange aboard the Falcon. “There’s always someone to miss,” the voice returned. “Her Highness says not to worry you but we don’t have the kid with us.”

Rieekan’s heart sank. Not their Jedi, oh please no. “What’s happened?”

There was a laugh then, “Don’t worry, he’s just gone off to finish his training. Says he’ll be back soon. She,” he emphasized, “Just didn’t want you to worry.”

Rieekan laughed. It had been too long since he’d heard the familiar sarcasm. “Tell her I appreciate it.”

The voice sounded faint as the speaker turned away. “He appreciates it,” Rieekan heard. “So will you be quiet now?”

A female voice replied, “Well, you weren’t there to see how he was when you didn’t return with us the other time.”

“You just have to remind me of that, don’t you?” The speaker returned back. “We’ll be down in less than ten, General. Hope you’re ready for us.”

“We will be, Solo. We’ve been ready for a while.”

The sound of the tannoy turning on could be heard throughout the base. People paused in their work, waiting to hear something of importance.

“Attention, everyone,” came Rieekan’s voice. “I just wanted to tell you that the Millennium Falcon has returned.” A cheer went up but was cut short when Rieekan added, “However, Commander Skywalker will be returning later.”

Two members of Rogue Squadron looked at each other.

“Oh boy, you know what that means,” said the one.

“Yeah,” said Wedge Antilles with a grin. “Means Luke’s gone to finish his training and you’re stuck with me.”

The other nodded. “That’s what I was afraid of.”

Rieekan had one final bit of news. “I did want to inform you however, that Captain Solo is now back with us. Alive.”

Across the fleet which hung in space, a loud cheer went up. Solo was a popular character for all his shortcomings and he’d been sorely missed. One by one, people put down their work and began to move towards viewports to watch the Falcon begin its docking procedure. Those in the vicinity of the docking bay ran towards the bay’s overlooks, hoping to catch a glimpse. Someone put a very loud piece of Corellian rock music over the tannoy. That should give Mon Mothma a headache, thought Rieekan with a grin as he stood at the front of the crowd. He thought briefly about investigating as to who exactly put the music on but decided against it. Everyone needed a morale boost from time to time.

The Falcon came to stop and the main ramp slowly lowered. The first to emerge was the protocol droid C-3PO. He stopped at the bottom of the ramp and looked around, as if to wonder why so many people were there to greet them. Then the moment came that everyone had been waiting for. Supported by Princess Leia, Han Solo walked slowly down the ramp, grinning broadly. The applause was immense; even he seemed surprised by it. The general watched as the Corellian lowered his head and muttered something to the princess. She smiled and said something back. Solo stepped forward, suddenly determined to make the most of the moment. “I’m back,” he shouted. With that, he collapsed into Leia’s arms.

Rieekan grinned as he walked quickly over to the new arrivals. Should have known Solo would still be the same old idiot, he thought. He scanned over the rest of the crew; they seemed to be none the worse for their adventure. Although he did notice that Leia was wearing a flight suit definitely not her size. I’ll think about that later, he thought.

“Well, Solo,” he said as he took half of the former smuggler’s weight. “See you managed to avoid losing us again.”

The Corellian’s eyes opened. “Well, General, you shouldn’t keep sending stubborn princesses after me.”

“I didn’t,” Rieekan retorted. “Her highness and Skywalker fortunately managed to disobey one or two orders. It was a completely unauthorized mission.” He paused. “And I wish I’d gone with them. It’s good to have you back, Solo.”

“Thank you, General.” Solo attempted to find his feet, but was stopped by a stern “Oh, no you don’t,” by Leia. He smiled. His beautiful Leia. He hadn’t seen much of her on the way back to the base. She’d put him into his own bunk and then left him to sleep. He had thought he hadn’t needed to sleep, but he had been far too weak to do want his mind had wanted. And somehow he had realised that the princess wouldn’t have appreciated any moves he might have tried to make.

The crowd slowly parted before the trio. Solo looked around. “Are they here for me?” he asked.

“You’re a popular man,” Rieekan replied. “However, you’ll have to save the meet and greet until later. Right now we’re getting you to the medical center.”

“Ugh,” Solo sighed. “Anywhere but there, please?”

The Alderaanian general laughed. “Sorry, Solo, but I think you need it.”

It was late in the day and Leia was asleep in her quarters. After having undergone a brief medical examination herself, she had gone to get cleaned up, promising herself that after that she would go see Han. She had sat down for just a minute. That had been five hours ago. She hadn’t realized just how exhausted she was.

The door to her suite quietly swished open and two men stood before it. “I should be forbidding this,” whispered the older one. “You really should have more time to rest and heal.”

“I’ll heal better this way,” the younger one whispered back. “Thanks for letting me in. So, I’ll be able to meet with you tomorrow about what we just discussed?”

The other nodded. “You know how much we can use you. It’ll be good to have you officially on board. It’s about time.”

“I don’t want her to know though. I want it to be a surprise.”

“I understand.” The older man turned to go, shaking the other’s hand as he left. “One last thing, Solo,” he said. “Try to get at least some sleep tonight, will you.” He grinned, winked and walked off. General Rieekan was easily able to guess some of what might go on in those quarters later. He waited at the end of the corridor, just in case there was a scream, an insult, and a smuggler physically removed from the quarters but none occurred. So it was worth it, Princess, he thought. He smiled, relieved at last that his young charge had found happiness.

Han Solo walked slowly to the bed. It almost looked a shame to wake her, he thought, as he sat down gently on the edge. Lightly, he tapped her shoulder. “Leia, sweetheart, wake up,” he whispered softly.

She stirred but remained asleep. “Han? Where are you?”

“Right here, and I ain’t going anywhere, not for a long, long time.”

Slowly her eyes opened and she smiled. “Good,” she whispered.

END