Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
New Years
By: Cadey
Rating: PG
Classification: VR
Disclaimer: Not mine, just having a little bit of fun with them
Summary: You'd have to read it!
Author's Notes: NoRomos - RUN! This is a shipper-friendly story!


DANA SCULLY'S APRTMENT
DECEMBER 31
6:35 pm

"Scully, are you ready?" Fox Mulder called out into the bedroom, where his partner, Dana Scully, was getting ready.

"Hang on. I'm almost ready." She called back.

"Well, if you don't hurry, I'll come in there and dress you myself."

"Promise?" Her voice held a note of teasing.

"Now, now, Scully, you know that if I came in there, we wouldn't make it to the ball."

"Yeah, I know." Her voice sounded closer. "Well, what do you think?" She came out into the living room and turned in a slow circle. Mulder could feel the breath leave his lungs in a whoosh. Her hair was up, with a few tendrils escaping and framing her face. His eyes were drawn down. The dress was the ultimate little black dress. It had spaghetti straps and stopped at mid-thigh, showing a surprising amount of leg.

"Wow."

"I'll take that as a compliment." Scully walked up to him and pressed her lips to his. Before it could progress, she pulled away and grabbed her coat. They really didn't want to go, but they agreed that their co-workers would find out about their relationship tonight at midnight.

"Come on. We have to go if we're going to get a table."

"Okay."


ANNUAL FBI NEW YEAR'S EVE BALL
7:03 pm

Mulder took Scully's coat and set it on the back of her seat. They were talking when a few more agents came up and sat down. Champagne was passed around, along with some food.

As the time neared midnight, Mulder asked Scully to dance. They saw their boss, Walter Skinner, dancing with his wife, and co-workers dancing with their significant others. She waved at couples that she knew and smiled at others.

The last song ended, and everyone turned to watch the big-screen TV, which showed the Times Square ball slowly falling, counting down the seconds to the new year. As everyone said "one", balloons and confetti showered down on them. Mulder and Scully looked at each other, oblivious to the other couples kissing and singing around them. Their lips came together and they enveloped each other in the kiss. The people closest to them noticed first, then the people around them. Muttered curses and soft squeals of delight were heard as people won or lost bets.

When the fear of asphyxiation became too great, they pulled apart. They saw Skinner looking at them with something akin to shock. Scully had to smile.

"What? It's not like this should come as a big shock."

"It doesn't. It's just I never figured that you would choose to publicize it this way."

Mulder jumped into the conversation. "Well, it came down to this or let the rumor mill get a hold of it."

Skinner grimaced. "Good point. Well, I want to see the both of you in my office, first thing Monday morning. As for the rest of you, show's over. Dance, get drunk, do whatever. Just remember that some of you have to be at work tomorrow." Everyone laughed. He figured that would give the two plenty of cover to get out. Sure enough, by the time everyone settled down, they had made their exit.

The gears were already turning in Skinner's mind on how to keep them partners. They may be pains in the ass sometimes, but they got the job done. Sharon noticed and lightly tapped her husband on the arm.

"Come on, Walter. Let's go home. Maybe you'll think of something over the weekend." Sharon grabbed her jacket on her way out.


MONDAY MORNING
J.EDGAR HOOVER BULIDING
8:00 am

"Agents Mulder and Scully to see you, sir."

"Send them in." Skinner leaned back in his seat, mentally going over his plan. Mulder and Scully nervously took their usual seats. "I've devised a way to keep you two partners."

"How, sir?" Scully leaned forward a fraction of an inch.

"Agent Mulder once pointed out to me that you two have the highest closure rate in the Bureau. And according to this, you still do. So that's the main leverage. If you keep the closure rate up or improve on it, my superiors will allow you two to continue working together." Scully's eyes met Mulder's.

"Agreed."

"Good. I believe that you have some work to do."

The End