Site hosted by Build your free website today!

Confederate Pension Records

The veteran was eligible to apply for a pension to the State in which he lived, even if he served in a unit from a different State. Generally, an applicant was eligible for a pension only if he was indigent or disabled. In your letter to the repository, state the Confederate veteran's name, his widow's name, the unit(s) in which he served, and the counties in which he and his widow lived afater the Civil War. Some repositories also have records of Confederate Homes (for veterans, widows, etc.), muster rolls of State Confederate militia, and other records related to the war.

NARA (the National Archives at Washington) does not have pension files for Confederate soldiers. Confederate pensions must be obtained from the State Archives.

Confederate Home Records are also available, and there is an online index:

Index to Tennessee Confederate Soldiers' Home Applications

Back to Main Page