Code of Ethics
The Northern California Curly Coated Retriever Club, in keeping with its aim of breeding the best possible dogs while preserving their unique character and promoting the multi-purpose use of these retrievers, adopts the following code:
A member-breeder shall strive for the "ideal Curly" in accordance with the
official standard set forth by the American Kennel Club. In this regard,
* Maintain high standards of health and care for their dogs.
* Use only physically and temperamentally sound stock.
* Understand the basic laws of genetics and the standard of the breed prior to making breeding plans.
* Educate all Curly enthusiasts and buyers with health issues in your pedigree.
* X-ray for evidence of hip dysplasia at age of two or older, treating mild cases as they would any other fault.
* Have a Specialist of the proper Veterinarian field provide eye clearances and heart clearances prior to a breeding. Breeding of dogs that will not pass eye and/or heart clearances are not recommended.
* Refrain from breeding a bitch or dog under the age of two. A bitch should not be bred more than two out of three seasons, depending of the size of the litter whelped and her condition. It is strongly recommended that a period of one year lapse between litters.
* Guarantee the health of his/her stock subject to a veterinarian's examination within 48 hours of the sale.
* Try to keep in touch with the progress of dogs of his/her breeding program in order to better analyze his/her own program.
* Follow good business practices and ethics in breeding contracts and honor all agreements. Written agreements are encouraged.
* Recommend breeding dogs that have recognized titles.
* Breeders will not sell stock without true representation to the purchaser nor use misleading or untruthful statements in selling or advertising.
* Urges spay and neuter for all animals sold as "pet quality".
* To be willing, at any time, to take back or help relocate a Curly Coated Retriever that member-breeder has sold or placed.
No member shall sell adults or puppies to any known retail or wholesale pet outlet or laboratory. To not knowingly supply dogs for raffles, giveaways, prizes, or other such projects.
Members shall at all times exhibit good sportsmanship at all events.
Members shall not degrade any other member or kennel.
Members will agree to submit all of their dog information to any health registry that the club may develop.
In applying for membership in the Club, I agree to comply with all of the American Kennel Club rules, the Constitution and By-Laws of the Northern California Curly Coated Retriever Club and the Curly Coated Retriever Club of America and the Code of Ethics as amended.
Signed: ___________________________ Date: ______________