ALL CHARACTERS AND EVENTS ARE FICTITIOUS
Friday, July 30, 2004
OUTLINE DRAFT ONLY
By Bryan Adrian
These are PRELIMINARY
NOTES only here......This is only a rough outline draft of a play incubating in
the author's head.....and may or may never be finished in full.....
scroll down to the bullet points for the captions for each covert black ops agency slide projection bullet point slide show projection in the play
BRYAN ADRIAN'S preliminary notes on ….
[SKETCH of an experimental play that has a very low opinion of dirt bag military contractors]
ALL CHARACTERS AND EVENTS ARE FICTITIOUS and bear no resemblance to real people nor to real government agencies or corporations. Any random semblance of a real name is purely coincidental and has no merit in fact.
Friday, July 30, 2004
OUTLINE DRAFT ONLY
By Bryan Adrian
Rough bare bones outline and draft outline, the "kernel" of a future experimental technique play....
Dark stage. Curtain up.
A single spotlight is on the lead actor "Poor Schenko" character in darkness, writing at home, alone in his study, on a laptop, 4AM. Bait and tease the audience at first with loads of very subtle "you are being watched" paranoid atmosphere, from the very start, to have them guessing frequently, where are they going to be taken, on this frightening, but redemptive theater journey, that all of us must take soon in the new super surveillance society?
Try to bring out the many frustrations [in the dialogue between the characters] which ALL TYPES of Americans will deal with, no matter what class, or race, or occupation, or politics they have, because of our current lack of community and culture here in the United States [that is, the perseverance and connectivity that other communities and cultures share, e.g., that one can much easier find in, say, Denmark, Russia, China, Canada, France or Germany, even in Bulgaria and Slovenia] .
Keep in mind the American public being gulled by the deep state & its War Machine, and their craven bi-partisan politics, which are triggering a whiplash against us in most of
In the very first stage setting, have PERGOLESI’S "Stabat Mater" playing medium loud at 4AM in the publisher’s living room. He is turning off his laptop
and stretching in dim light. He then pours a whiskey, and reviews alone numerous slides on his blank white study wall, from his semi-recent past, as the "Stabat Mater" continues playing.
Slide of a letter, to a friend this time, hinting at what is going on, so that the audience is not lost, but rather feels smart, because they sense something larger than their lives is going to take place, soon.
"Dear Manfred, the publications are a minor success, ... some people are
following me, but I can’t prove a thing …".
Phone rings. The publisher, Poor O'Shenko, bourbon still in hand, tired
from reviewing so many recon slides in the middle of the night, picks up his phone -------->> nobody on the other line is speaking, it is meant to intimidate Poor O'Shenko.
[click ... dead dial tone]
In walks the Anne Hathaway character [named Sonia for the time being], 4AM.
Sonia: Are you still up? Anything new in the slides?
Poor O'Shenko: Just that the last few years have made me look much, much older, Sonia.
Wouldn't you agree?
Sonia: Funny. I’ve never noticed. Have you actually aged at all since we started
this? I never had the time to ponder such matters. What's that slide all about
with the man on a bicycle being run off of the road by a speeding car?
Poor O'Shenko: That’s me in
…. Continue dialogue here
Initial notes for a PLAY: The use of names Judy Davis, John Malkovitch, and
Anne Hathaway are for “type” and “personality” only, in that they each embody somewhat the complexities of the characters I have in mind for the play’s purposes.
[CHARACTER A, Poor O'Shenko] Male lead based somewhat on myself [my own experiences as an underground e-zine political publisher on the internet from 1996 to 2006, before the explosion of bloggers came onto the web]. Ryan Gosling type, perhaps, to play this lead character?
Tentative name for him is "Poor O'Schenko" . The Actor who plays Character A must be capable of gentleness, fairness, and ... fierceness ... when under attack, attributes the lead needs to have as a publisher in a dangerous field of social agit-prop. This play may come off as a wee bit Brechtian, but with well developed soul and feeling, not just head and thinking.
[CHARACTER B, Sonia] Female lead written somewhat tentatively for Anne Hathaway type lead actress.
[CHARACTER C] Somebody like Judy Davis, Australian actress, middle but crucial role. Female supporting actress.
[CHARACTER D] Somebody like John Malkovitch, Steppenwolf Theatre founder (who acted with Judy Davis in Clifford Odet's ROCKET TO THE MOON, 1987) to dovetail with Judy Davis in this middle yet resonant crucial middle character range. Perhaps they are lovers in this drama, too. Character D will be a male supporting actor.
[CHARACTER E] ... he is the only one on the staff that can truly stand up to the
publisher protagonist, when everyone is under fire, when the publisher is not as
clear in his direction as he thinks he is; this character better than anyone else on the staff is able to deal with the often brooding publisher, even more able than the publisher's lover, the Anne Hathaway wife-partner character. This character steps in during times of duress, because he is not an alpha male threat to the publisher, he is valued and needed by the publisher, as his reliable associate editor, and as his [gay?? ... modeled somewhat on Alan?] friend and advisor and confident.
[CHARACTER F] Female, mid-20s[??]. She is the comic relief and a kind of
intermission from all the building and fomenting angst. As graphics artist for
the entire magazine staff, and liked by all, she has access to everyone's ear on
an equal basis, and sort of knows better than anyone what is going on, from what she hears from them all. [modeled on the very young Vera?]
(a Six character cast, Characters A thru F, with an "extra", a African American actor with a walk-on role for the subway dream sequences, and he will also be one of the two "fill-in-for-all humanity" actors to be the extras when needed).
Therefore, NINE performers are needed for this play.
[there will be some extras needed for crowd scenes … use the same three people to represent everything possible required. Recycle the non-starring extras to play many different roles, rather than using fresh people for all the background characters]
Plot: [sketchy still ... it will be based on the travails of the publisher illustrated by the slide show based on real conflicts the author had experienced between 1996 and 2006 ... how many slides will actually be shown in the opening scene ...... is still quite unclear .... these characters will grow as I write the dialogue, of the publisher and his lover (live-in-partner), [his complementary co-publisher and co-habitator], discussing things with the two main leads, [their friends, in the Manhattan Central Park South district townhouse.] . Most of the play will take part in this townhouse which doubles as a publishing house. There will also be some dream sequence scenes in a nighttime subway car of NYC which mirror the publisher's external reality, of the last few years, shown in a stream of consciousness slide show to open the play.
Use an analogous Eugene O'Neill depth and tone, but not so pathetic. [mood note: Eugene O’Neill was emotionally powerful in his plays, and knew the theatre, but he is much too fatalistic, and seems to have piled up debts with some kind of sect … This play must be written on a more non-occult scale and scope, with a ringing triumph of the central character over the unknown and hidden forces that weigh him down.
It has been written that O’Neil used a kind of numerological structure in his
EMPEROR JONES, with everything in a geometry of a SIX SHOOTER revolver chamber. O’Neil, rarely had an effective or true hero, a leader, or a champion of a Resistance, a Jesus Christ radical who wins. Not even a character with a simple game plan, against the status quo, who could somehow triumph, if only in spirit and not in fact.
spiritual depth. Don't use generic American traditional family or suburban
values in this play, since the author never learned them well at home nor in life. Base
"NYC bohemian family life" atmosphere in the
Male lead is an underground magazine publisher, putting out his stuff on the
internet. His live-in partner is his co-publisher. Much dynamic interplay
between them, sometimes pleasant, sometimes unpleasant, oftentimes tender, but the electronic magazines live on and so does their commitment to each other and to these publications, no matter what comes along. Their affable associate editor is a central character, but not fully developed yet. The graphics expert on their publishing staff is very likeable to all observers.
character and Judy Davis character are daredevils and very close friends, who
drop by the magazine staff office often, to spend time with the co-publishers,
their best friends, [their publication office is also their small townhouse, placed near
Broadway friends often contribute cultural and political writings to the e-zine magazines; they are very witty and quite close with the two joined-at-the-hip
Malkovitch and Davis characters are also Off-Broadway actors, besides being serious intellectuals, with the
political motivations to really change what is wrong with American society and government, away from trivial
political correctness and towards a free and universal national health care system for all, public monitoring agencies to investigate and determine sentencing of police brutality & abuse cases, and several other major
reforms, such as a jettisoning of NeoCon power channels CLEAR OUT OF ALL
Produce a slide show the best you can of images like these, or some such similar
scenarios, from the central character Poor O'Schenko's past.
· Slides of secret telecommunications installations,
underground near the home of the chief of Australian embassy security's home, near the AEC in
· Slides of the power lines, enormous power towers, and ominous obese
cables, leading directly to the Atomic Energy Commission in
Slides of Valentin’s Bulgarian commandos [former Deputy
Minister of Defense] literally bolting the publisher inside his
"trusted" Bulgarian fiancée’s family home in
· · Slide of a dim-witted DC Beltway intelligence spook, in his car, as he runs a mild mannered man off of the roadside as he is pedaling on his bicycle, in a near fatal sideswipe.
· Slides of a brutal stabbing in the pre-gentrified and then deadly
Music here switches to mock Christmas carol like tunes, although barely audible, as a kind of ironic twist, from Stabat Mater music which had preceded it.
USE SOME OF THESE SLIDE PROJECTIONS TOO—
· · Men-in-Black slides [MIB]. Slides of AAME (American Association of Mechanical Engineers Headquarters in Wash DC), in which the whole staff had MIB screensavers.
· Slide of the giant Meteor that slammed into
Dripping with irony, show a slide of a baby Phillips head screwdriver kit,
presented as a gift by executive officers of the AAME to the protagonist
publisher, as a Christmas office employee X-mas present. Stabbing happens with
a 9 inch filed down Phillips Head just 12 hours after this presentation. [i.e.,
the centimeters-from-death stabbing from a filed down Phillips Head screwdriver
in middle of the night
· · "Join Us!" slide, inside the offices of Medtap, the heart defibrillator manufacturers, par excellence, which led to the main character's hasty departure from their compound in a state of alarm and confusion when they formed a circle around him chanting to "join us" their secret sinister society.
· · IEEE, Institute of Electrical & Electronics Engineers Northern Virginia Fairfax County Section, with closeups of their full color brochures on advanced androids [with fluorescent yellow-green eyes, when seen in a special lighting], already manufactured today and not only on the drawing board of research facilities, where they had three Poors and 3 O'Shenkos working there in the lead character's department nearby him, on a one week temp job he had there, scaring him to the depths of his soul.
· · A friendly guy there at IEEE, [android?] asked Poor O'Shenko if he knew what the gas company workers were doing watching a hole in the ground, directly outside their Vienna North Virginia offices window, day after day, hour by hour, provoking the android-like friendly employee to state "I think they are here to watch you".
Slide of Council of Churches, NYC, Riverside Drive,
vampiric looking and acting priests/rabbis, of all nearly all religious
persuasions, no boundaries here between Episcopalian and Jewish and Buddhist,
on Riverside Drive. Everyone has very red blood shot eyes in the large
· · Next, slide of Petrossian Caviar HQ [Armenians], NYC meat packing district; scads of large Black Sea and Caspian Sea mother sturgeons seemingly crying out their grief like the Colchian women at the time of Jason & the Argonauts, in the same ancient Armenian region, thousands of years ago, as they are being slaughtered for their caviar eggs, and for the isinglass from their bladders, in this close to Chelsea district, the meat packing district, with many stainless steel dissection tables for Petrossian's caviar production line.
· · Next slide, unrelated to Petrossians caviar warehouse, an Armenian lawyer from a freelance editing work assignment in midtown NYC, and his obnoxious daughter; he is head honcho of a NYC Masonic temple, and he has an impressive military U.S. Army intelligence portfolio on the internet, boasting of his high family and New York State Masonic connections.
· · Slide of Conde Nast Publications Headquarters, NYC, old executive offices before they moved to their swank Times Square tower, where the lead character had been a temp working alongside the old CFO and his innermost trusted core staff . Anomalous Cognition head scanning very very intense. Strongest confrontation of telepathic brain scanning warfare for the main character to date, it seemed to him at the time.
· · Immediately afterward the above, in the same day, Kubrick's "Eyes Wide Shut" NYC screening, premiere night. Some other psychic scanner was sitting behind the main character the whole damned movie, making trouble, challenging him -- [an Irish friend had been with the lead character at this premiere and noticed and remarked on it to him, out of the blue, "someone is trying to get to you without words, Poor O'Shenko, I can feel it coming from the seats directly behind us".].
Squeeze all these images into a quick moving and compelling slide show that
opens the play as the publisher is
reviewing his life at 4AM,
in hand, and the Hungarian Womens' chorus is singing their hearts out in their
rendition of Stabat Mater.
At conclusion of this slide sequence, display slides of letters from a few of the friends of the main character, over the years, exhibiting anger and suspicion that the publisher and protagonist of this play ... is now going over the edge!
Switch to a series of slides of acutely visible brainwave scanning wars in
libraries, between combatants, where any even partially observant person in the library could notice something very peculiar was going on, even if they don't
believe in psychic scanning nor telepathic warfare [anomalous cognition].
A play of this nature may work, dealing with this theme, especially if the
dialogue is good, and the strong human element is noble and victorious.
DIALOGUE to be continued ...]
[footnote: later in the play, create a scene with strange acoustical effects, on
stage, of a very late night NYC subway coach … a black professional intellectual is confronted by hostile non-blacks "standing their ground" and in "Stop-and-Frisk" mode, obviously discriminatory after-midnight strap holders, not overtly physically threatening to him, but really extremely rude and offensive… use "flash" dreamlike techniques and lighting, ... but keep the subway car atmosphere hyper-realistic. In this scene, make the audience feel the next subway stop is really theirs, and how much they can’t wait to get off the annoying subway themselves, to escape the psychic terror. This scene is to show the audience that the social conflicts which a black intellectual in America [with strong opinions] has, are nearly the same social torments as the white publisher character of this drama, in his occult battles and hostile encounters with agents of the occult and intelligence agencies, who at times work together. Play with this scene, draw it out for all it is worth. Work on it a lot.
I met Seth Dillinger, an extremely gifted composer and creative bass
cellist, on the Bedford L platform. He leads an avante garde Quartet, very
cutting edge, yet capable of clean and conventional classical, in the Village at
St. Mark’s Place. He emailed me
saying he would like to contribute music and performances for a stage production,
if i ever pull it off. Seth just performed here in