In the 16th century, after the Reformation, teachers in Tullibody acted as 'readers' in the church services. About 1770, the school in Tullibody was a thatched building on the other side of the Tron Well from the Poorhouse (in the area of the present day Tron Court). In 1778 the teacher was a Mr. Sutherland. In 1794, Sir Ralph Abercromby (The Laird) wrote from Antwerp that a new school and schoolhouse be built. Tullibody School was then famed for the high quality of its teachers, encouraged by the local Lairds. The schoolmaster of the time, Alexander Seggie, was so renowned a classical scholar that more young men from his school went to colleges than from the rest of the schools in Clackmannanshire put together. Mr. Seggie was succeeded by Mr. Murdo McIntyre. In 1838, Mr Alexander McGregor became the teacher. A new 'Tullibody Barony Subscription School' was built in 1840. This school stood near the area of the present Bowling Green on the corner of Abercromby Place and the Cambus Brae. It was later to house the Tullibody District Library, started in 1862 by the Tullibody YMCA. It was demolished in the 1960s. At that time it was two semi-detached dwelling houses - lived in by Andrew Harrison and the Balingol family. They kept pigs there.
TULLIBODY SCHOOL AND PUBLIC HALL. The school was designed by Kerr and McCulloch, Alloa and cost £1600. It was opened in November 1904. The first headmaster was Robert Kinmond, who retired in 1920. After Abercromby School was opened in the 1950s, the 1904 School was used as part of Abercromby School and it was called the 'Old School'. In some of the classrooms of the 'Old School' were collections of stuffed birds in large glass bell jars. In the central hall of the old school there was a stuffed albatros in a very large glass case. The Old School was unfortunately burned down some years ago. The Public Hall (known commonly as The Institute) has been demolished. The Institute was on the Cambus Brae, uphill from the 'Old School' and the present day Abercomby School.
From a "Historical Sketch
of Tullibody" by Robert Kirk (1937)
The first headmaster (at the old school) was Mr Robert Kinmond, whose semi-jubilee was celebrated on 29th September, 1905, at a meeting in the Public Hall which was filled to capacity when he was presented with a handsome public testimonial in recognition of his success as headmaster of the Public school and in appreciation of his great service to the community. Rev. Mr. Thom occupied the chair and after a few graceful references to the guest of the evening called upon Mr Kennedy Tullis to make the presentation, which he did in a very racy speech in which he extolled Mr Kinmond's labours of love for Tullibody and styled him 'Tullibody's Guardian Angel' The recipient in a grateful and appropriate speech, accepted the gifts and returned thanks on behalf of himself and his wife. The gifts took the form a of a handsome Roll-Top Desk, a Silver Rose Bowl and a Silver Tray to Mrs Kinmond. The Desk bore the following inscription: - "Presented by former pupils and friends to Mr. Robert Kinmond on the occasion of his semi-jubilee as headmaster of Tullibody Public School, in recognition of his services to the Public in other capacities - 29th September, 1905." Mr. Kinmond retired in 1920 after 40 years service. During his regime he not only upheld the prestige of the school but took a practical interest in the affairs of the village and to him the village is indebted for the many improvements carried out during his sojourn in the barony. He has resided in Alloa since his retirement.
Mr. Laing - Mr Kinmond was succeeded by Mr James Laing, Alloa, who, for health reasons retired in 1927. Mr Laing was of a retiring disposition and did not take the same active part in public affairs as his predecessor but was always ready and willing to support any movement, which had for its object the welfare of the village. Mr Laing took up residence in Alloa shortly after his retirement but after the recent death of his wife moved to London to reside with his son.
Mr. Simpson - Mr. Laing's successor was Mr. Ernest Simpson, MA. Dollar, who is upholding the good name and fame of the school. He is a keen sportsman and excels in golf, bowling and curling, and is developing the physical as well as the mental culture of his pupils. He has also musical ability of no mean order and as a cellist his services are in demand by local orchestras.'
Tullibody had only one school (the 'Old School'
mentioned above) until 1951, when Abercromby school was opened, then came
St. Serfs school, then Banchory school, then most recently, St. Bernadettes
school. All of these are primary schools.