It was a while before I could be alone with him. The girls had to worry for a while, and Adam lectured him for a while, but eventually they all left, and I slipped in.

"Hey, Jess."

"What were you thinking?"

"Save it," he muttered wearily. "I've gotten the whole thing from Adam. Besides, Jess, I hurt."

He looked at me pitifully, and I couldn't be harsh to him anymore. He had been through a lot. And he was so damn cute. "I know. I'm sorry. I wish I could've done more to-"

"You saved me."

"Nah. Adam and Emma saved you."

"You helped."

I shrugged. "Ok."

"Thanks."

"Well, I don't know what I'd do without you around, Bren. You really scared me there."

"I'm sorry," he whispered, holding out his hand, which I took. "I'm sorry for being an asshole about it and not listening to you guys."

"It turned out ok."

"Yeah, no thanks to me."

"It's ok, Bren."

He nodded, and I could tell he was tired. I started to get up, saying he need to rest, but his grip on my hand tightened. "Stay, Jesse. Please."

I sat back down, scooting my chair closer to his bed. He turned and looked up at me, his dark eyes boring into mine. God, I wanted to kiss him, so badly.

"Are you ok?"

I realized that I had closed my eyes. "Yeah. Yeah, I'm fine. I -" Oh, how to tell him that? How did you tell someone who nearly got himself killed over a pretty girl that you were in love with him?

"You what, Jesse?" His thumb traced patterns over my knuckles.

"I...I'm just sick of almost losing you, Bren."

He looked at me steadily for a long moment. "Losing me to what? To her? Or to death?"

I opened my mouth, but no sound came out. "Bren, I-"

He waved off my inarticulate response. "It's ok. I think...the thing with Ash...it was all electromagnetism. There weren't a whole lot of proverbial sparks."

"Bren - what are you - what do you mean?"

"I mean that you should stop staring at me like that. It's unnerving. Kiss me, already."

I opened my mouth to reply, but he had grasped the front of my shirt and pulled me down to him. His mouth was warm and wet, sweet, and he tasted better than I'd ever imagined him, too. Kissing him felt a little dangerous, I could feel the power lurking just beneath his skin. But that far from frightened me, it only enhanced the whole effect

"You look tired, Jess," he remarked, a smile playing on his lips. "You should get some rest."

I started to stand, but for the second time, he pulled me back. "I've got room here."

I looked at him. He looked hopeful. I kicked off my shoes and slipped under the covers next to him, and felt his arm go around me. "Do you mean this, Brennan?"

"Of course I do!" He sounded offended. "By the way...what was it you were going to say to me a minute ago? That you cut off?"

He toyed with my earlobe as I formulated a response. So much for formulating. "I was going to say that I love you, Brennan. That I'm in love with you. That I would've - I couldn't have - it would've really, really sucked if you'd died."

He grinned, I could feel it against my neck. "Yeah, it would've. I'm quite glad now that I didn't. And...I think I love you too, Jess."

"You have no idea how happy that makes me."

He kissed me again before turning off the light and settling down. "I think maybe I have some idea."