Site hosted by Build your free website today!

47th PVI 2nd State Color, February 1865

William H. and George Moll
47th PA Infantry Volunteers, Company "F".

Two members of my family, William H. and George Moll, served with the 47th Pennsylvania Infantry Volunteers, Company "F".

Private William. H. Moll (8 October 1835? - 1 April 1910) enlisted in Catasauqua, PA on August 21st, 1861 for 3 years service. He re-enlisted on October 19th, 1863 at Fort Zachary Taylor in Key West, Florida. He was on Furlough during November and December 1863, returning to the regiment on Janurary 2nd, 1864. Private George Moll (1 Jan 1841 - 17 May 1915) enlisted in Norristown for 3 years service on 16 December 1863.

William and George Moll were brothers, the sons of James and Sarah (nee Neuhardt) Moll. William was born in Allen township, Northampton County, PA; George in Hanover Township, Lehigh County, PA. William Moll was baptised on 26 May 1841 by the Rev. J. Yeager. George Moll was baptised on 15 November 1844 by the Rev. Joseph Petizger. In 1860, both William and George Moll were living in Catasauqua, Pennsylvania.

There was at least one older brother of Willam and George Moll, Benjamin (b: abt 1835, d: abt 1913). Little is known of Benjamin Moll other than he was a Farmer in the Bath area of Northampton County. He is mentioned briefly in William Moll's obituary published in the Allentown Morning Call, 3 April 1910.

There is some confusion with regards to George Moll's date of birth, due to various dates listed in his Civil War Pension File. He lists 3 dates in records at the National Archives, 8 October 1835, 10 October 1835, and 10 November 1836. I located a copy of George Moll's baptismal certificate, and unfortunatley it is mutilated with a large ink spot over the area showing his church recorded birthdate. On May 11th, 1908, the Pension Office reviewed this discrepency and determined his birthdate, for purposes of his pension to be the earliest date, 8 October 1835.

Both William and George Moll shared similar physical characteristics. William Moll being 5' 11", George slightly smaller, about 5' 10 1/2" tall. Both men had a dark complexion, blue eyes and dark hair. At the time of his enlistment at age 22, George Moll was a "Laborer".

First Regimental Colors of the 47th Pennsylvania Regiment; Manufactured by Evans & Hassall of Philadelphia. From "Advance The Colors: Pennsylvania Civil War Battle Flags" by Richard A. Sauers (Capitol Preservation Committee, 1987).
During the latter half of 1861, the people of Allentown and Lehigh County realized that the Civil War was serious buisness. The time of ninety-day enlistments was over and the Federal army was being filled with volunteers who enlisted for three years, or the duration of the war. On August 5, 1861, Governor Andrew Curtin granted Colonel Tilghman H. Good of Allentown the authority to raise a volunteer regiment in the Lehigh Valley. Companies B, G, I, & K were recruited in Allentown, Company F was recruited in Catasauqua, and Companies A & E were recruited in Easton. The 47th PVI became of great local importance to the community because of it's long record of service on many fronts.

The 47th Regiment spent two months training at Camp Curtin in Harrisburg, and on September 20, 1861, was sent south in the defense of Washington. On January 27, 1862, the regiment departed for Key West, Florida, and over the next two years saw action in the Florida and South Carolina coastal areas, participating in the capture of Jacksonville, and the Battle of Pocotaligo, when it had been part of the effort to destroy a railroad bridge over the Pocotaligo River to sever the railroad line between Charleston SC, and Savannah, GA.

From November 15th, 1862 to February 25th, 1864 the 47th garrisoned two strategic posts, Fort Jefferson on the Dry Tortugas and Fort Zachary Taylor at Key West, Florida. Losses due to typhoid and yellow fever were heavy; a few men died of accidents and one was a suicide. The heaviest loss due to disease occurred shortly after the unit's arrival in 1862. Late in 1863 many of the men reenlisted for a second tour of duty. The reenlistment bonus paid to the men was $402.

William H. Moll re-enlisted on October 19th, 1863 at Fort Zachary Taylor in Key West, Florida. He was on furlough during November and December 1863, returning to the regiment on January 2nd, 1864.

Sabine Cross Roads, LA
Pleasant Hill, LA
April 8th & 9th, 1864

Northwest of the Mansfield Battlefield Visitor Center, northwest view along SH-175 (Old Stage Road). Site Marker: Battle of Mansfield or Sabine Cross Roads, April 8, 1864. Confederate Battle Line at 4:00 P.M. - First Phase of Battle: From this point the line extended about 400 yards Northeast, thence East about a mile. It extended about a half mile South from here.

SH-175 approximately 3 miles southeast of the Visitor Center. Site Marker: Battle of Mansfield or Sabine Cross Roads, April 8, 1864, Federal Line at 6:00 P.M. - Third Phase of Battle: This point was called "Chatman's Peach Orchard" by Confederates and "Pleasant Grove" by Federals. Dark ended the fight for possession of this water supply of Chatman's Bayou at foot of hill, where Confederates bivouacked. The Federals retreated to Pleasant Hill during the night.

Pleasant Hill Battlefield Park, SH-175, north of Pleasant Hill.

Pleasant Hill Battlefield Park. Site Marker: Pleasant Hill Battlefield, Village of Pleasant Hill, Founded Here April 1846: Pleasant Hill was occupied by Union armies on April 7, 1964 beginning 3 days of fighting which culminated in the largest battle of the Civil War west of the Mississippi River being fought in and around the village on April 9, 1864.

In February 1864, the 47th was ordered to Louisiana where it became the only Pennsylvania unit to participate in the Red River Campaign of 1864. George Moll rejoined the regiment in Algiers, LA.

The Federal army was to proceed up the Red River to take Shreveport, LA. By taking this city, the Federal army hoped to cut the supply route which linked Texas to Confederate forces in Louisiana and Arkansas. Supported by a fleet of gunboats, the army began the Red River campaign when it moved upriver from Alexandria on May 15th. The 47th PA was attached to the second Brigade of the First Division of the XIX Army Corps for this operation.

As it approached the front, cavalry, infantry, and artillery were met in confusion seeking the rear. The 47th was brought into position on a small elevation. Scarcely had the line been formed, when the pursuing and victorious enemy came pressing on. A well directed volley suddenly checked his course, and he was driven back in dismay. Again he attempted to break the line, and again was repulsed. The 47th succeeded in doing this. During the battle, the 47th made a successful change in position and, along with the 13th Maine, repulsed a Confederate flanking attack. Darkness intervened, and the men lay down in line of battle.

Shortly after midnight the command was withdrawn. The command, wearied and worn, returned to Pleasant Hill on the 9th. The loss was near sixty men killed and wounded; among the former was Lieutenant Swoyer, of company K.

During the night of the 8th and 9th of April, the 47th, retired to Pleasant Hill, 15 miles distant.At Pleasant Hill the regiment was posted on the right of the line, with its right resting on a high bluff.

As it was almost a certainty that the Confederates would follow up their advantage of the day before, the Federal troops were drawn up in line of battle to await the attack. The 1st brigade of the 19th corps formed the right, resting on a ravine, the 2nd brigade was in the center and the 3rd brigade on the left.

The enemy, under command of Dick Taylor, attacked at midday, and the battle raged with great fury until five P. M. At three o'clock the 47th PA was ordered from the right to the left of the line. While passing by the flank in the rear of the 165th New York, an impetuous charge was made by the enemyg causing that regiment to retire before him. The 47th repelled the charge and delivered a counter-charge in force. A desperate encounter ensued, in which the rebels were driven from the field and several pieces of artillery captured.

Although the Confederates had failed to break the Federal army at both Sabine Cross Roads and Pleasant Hill, they halted the Union advance. The Federal army retreated to Gran Ecore, LA and the Red River campaign ended in failure. During this battle, the 47th PVI lost about 200 men to sickness, killed, wounded or missing. In 1864, the regiment was authorized to display battle streamers in honor of distinguished service in the battles of Sabine Cross Roads, Pleasant Hill and Cane River Crossing.

Cedar Creek, VA
October 19th, 1864

In July 1864, the regiment was again transferred in defense of Washington, where it saw action as part of the Army of the Shenandoah. The 47th PVI first saw action in the Battle of Opequan Creek on September 19th near Winchester, VA. On September 21st, the Federal forces, including the 47th drove the Confederates from Fisher's Hill, about 8 miles south of Winchester.

On October 19th, 1864, during the Battle of Cedar Creek, the 47th experienced its most disastrous day of the war. The regiment occupied a position in the centre of a semi-circle, formed by a curve in the channel of the creek, and in rear of the line of works. When the Army of West Virginia, under Crook, was surprised and driven from its works, the Second Brigade, with the 47th on the right, was thrown into the breach to arrest the retreat. The line was formed while vast bodies of men were rushing pastit. A heavy fog prevented objects from being visible at a distance of fifty yards. Scarcely was it in position before the enemy came suddenly upon it, under cover of the fog.

Photos of the 1999 re-enactment of the Battle of Cedar Creek

The right of the 47th PA was thrown back until it was almost a semi-circle. The brigade, only 1,500 strong, was contending against Gordon's entire division, and was forced to retire, but in comparative good order, exposed, as it was, to a raking fire. Repeatedly forming as it was pushed back, and making a stand at every available point, it finally succeeded in checking the enemy's onset, The lines were re-formed, and the first charge of the Confederates, at 1pm fell upon the Nineteenth Corps, and was handsomely repulsed. The force of the blow fell heavily upon the regiment, but it stood firm, and was complimented on the field by General Thomas.

This success cheered the hearts of all and the army began to take courage. When the final grand charge was made, the 47th PA moved at nearly right angles with the rebel front. The brigade charged gallantly, and the entire line, making a left, wheel, came down on the Confederate flank while engaging the Sixth Corps.

In the subsequent pursit of the Confederates, the 47th led the attack, then was placed on the skirmish line, where it remained until 12pm on 18 October.

The losses of the 47th PA were 65 dead and 110 wounded, more than any other unit involved. During the battle, William H. Moll recieved a gunshot wound, entering in the lower left hip, exiting in the right leg. He was treated initally on the field, then transferred initially to the General Sheridan Depot Field Hospital at Winchester, Virginia. He stayed in Winchester until October 28th, 1864, then he was transferred from Winchester, to the Jarvis General Hospital in Baltimore, MD. William H. Moll recuperated in Baltimore until December 21st, then being released back to duty with the 47th PA, rejoining the regiment in January, 1865.

Mustering Out

Cedar Creek was the last major engagement for the regiment, and the remainder of its service in Maryland and Virginia would be spent in guarding the railroads. On May 23, 1865, the men of the 47th Pennsylvania participated in the "Grand Review" held in Washington to celebrate the end of the Rebellion.

In June 1865, the regiment was again ordered south to Georgia and South Carolina for garrison duty during Reconstruction, where it would complete its term of service. William H. Moll served in Charleston, SC during July and August, 1865, then in McClellanville, SC in September and October.

The 47th Pennsylvania was mustered out of service on December 25, 1865, at Charleston, SC, and sailed for home in January 1866. The 47th PVI served for four years and four months, saw service in seven of the southern states, marched more than 1,200 miles and made 12 voyages at sea. The unit lost 5 officers and 112 enlisted men in battle, and 3 officers and 170 enlisted men to disease.

There is a book available about the 47th Pennsylvania Infantry Volunteers:

A Civil War History of the 47th Regiment of Pennsylvania Veteran Volunteers
954 pages, 406 illustrations
$75 plus $6 shipping & handling

Library of Congress Catalog Card Number: LCN 86-62793

Contact: Lewis G. Schmidt
1464 N. 39th St. Allentown PA 18104-2126
610 395 1661 email

50th reunion of the 47th Pennsylvania Infantry Volunteers, October 22, 1913. Photo taken in front of the Odd Fellows Hall, 115 North 9th Street, Allentown

Memorial to the 47th PVI
Fairmount Cemetary, West Catasauqua

Enscription on Memorial to the 47th PVI
Fairmount Cemetary, West Catasauqua


Fought on 22 October 1862 at Pocotaligo, SC.

Fought on 08 April 1864 at Pleasant Hill, LA.
Fought on 08 April 1864 at Sabine Cross Roads, LA.
Fought on 09 April 1864 at Pleasant Hill, LA.
Fought on 09 April 1864 at Sabine Cross Roads, LA.
Fought on 03 May 1864 at Berryville, VA.
Fought on 05 September 1864 at Berryville, VA.
Fought on 18 September 1864 at Opequan, VA.
Fought on 19 September 1864 at Winchester, VA.
Fought on 22 September 1864 at Fisher's Hill, VA.
Fought on 19 October 1864 at Cedar Creek, VA.

Fought on 15 March 1865 at Charles Town, WV.
Fought on 25 March 1865 at Summit Point, VA.
Fought on 28 March 1865 at Summit Point, VA.

About William and George Moll

Private William H Moll
47th PA Volunteer Infantry
8 October 1835? - 1 April 1910
Aged 75 Years
After the war, William H. Moll returned to Hockendaqua, PA. He was partially disabled for the rest of his life as a result of his servere gunshot wound which he recieved at Cedar Creek, VA. and recieved varying amounts of disability payments from the federal government. These payments ranged from $6 to $22 per month at the time of his death.

He married Angelina Saley (b: 1833, d: 1907?) on May 30th, 1868 in Bath, PA. They were married by the Reverend Fox. The couple lived for many years in Hockendaqua, PA., where William Moll initially worked in a rock quarry, possibly with his brother George. In 1874 William Moll suffered a servere disability, when breaking stone with a sledge hammer, a piece of stone struck him in the left eye, piercing his eye and causing permanent blindness to the eye. The 1880 census does not list an occupation for William Moll, perhaps due to his disabilty not allowing him to work.

It appears he and his wife, Angelia, lived quietly for many years together in Hockendaqua. They had no children. In 1907, after Angelina passed away, William moved to a nursing home at 615 Bishop Thorpe St, South Bethlehem. He lived there until his death on April 1, 1910. William Moll was a member of the Lt. Fuller Post, No. 378, GAR. He is buried at Fairmount Cemetary in West Catasauqua.

William H. Moll and his brother George remained very close their entire lives. After William's death in 1910, George worked very hard to settle the affairs of his brother.

After the war, George Moll returned to Pennsylvania, living in Hokendauqua, Lehigh County, PA. His occupation was a "Laborer", working in several Eberhart quarries. He married Amanda George (b: 1842, d: 22 July 1905) on 25 December 1868 in Bath, Pa., by the Rev. Fox. They had four children, George L. W (Walter) (b: 1887, d: November 1955), Ellsowrth (b: 23 Mar 1893, d: June 1963), Alfred Herman (B: 24 June 1896, d: May 1972), and Beulah Victoria (b: 1 April 1900). In 1880, Amanda's mother, Helena George (b: 1821) was living with the family in Whitehall Township, PA.

Just over a year after Amanda's death, On 31 August 1906, George Moll married Julia Moser Trine, (b: 10 Jan 1855) the widow of Levi Trine, another Civil War veteran, serving in Company A, 53rd PA Infantry. They were married at the Faith Evangelical Luthern Church, Whitehall(Mickleys), PA., by the Rev J D. Schindel. Julia Trine was the mother of 3 children with Levi, Leona M Trine (8 July 1878), Diedra (19 Janurary 1881), and Mary M. (10 September 1885). All were adults by the time of her marriage to George Moll, and there were no other children.

At the time of his death in 1915, George and Julia Moll were living in Catasaqua, Pa at 28 Second Avenue. George Moll was a member of the Lt. Fuller Post, No. 378, GAR. His funeral was held at his home on 20 May 1915. He is buried at Fairmount Cemetary in West Catasauqua.

Julia Moll later moved to Easton, where she lived until at least 1918, then to West Catasaqua, where she was living with her stepson's family, George L. W. Moll, in 1920. George L. W. Moll (6th Gen) was married to Annie M.(b: 1873), and lived on Front Street. He was a "Laborer" in a foundary. He died in November, 1955. Julia Moll lived into the 1930's.

Ellsworth Moll married Edna J Grammes on 31 Mar 1921. At the time they were both living in Styles PA. Ellsworth Moll died in June, 1963.

George L (Walter) Moll married Carrie Nonnemaker (b: 1879) on 30 November 1915. The 1920 Census shows them living in Bloomington, McLean, Illinois. He was employed as a Creamery Driver. In 1930 Walter and Carrie had returned to Pennsylvania, living in 4th Ward, Allentown. Walter Moll died in November, 1955.

The 1930 Census lists George Moll's son, Alfred, living in Pennsauken Township, Camden County, New Jersey. He married Bertha Watson (b: 1890) in 1926 from Pennsauken, NJ. In 1930 he was employed at a shipyard as a Electrician. They had no children. Alfred Moll (6th Gen)moved back to Pennsylvania before 1951, eventually settling in Allentown. He died in May 1972.

566 William H. Moll
47th PA
Filed for Disability 10/18/1873
case 187155, certificate 127315

599 George Moll
State Filed: Pennsylvania
47th PA
Filed for Disability: 2/12/1872
Case: 1079353 Certif: 829998