The Alert Fire Company #1 was formed on 18 August 1887 when twelve men gathered and realized the need for fire protection in the Boro of Downingtown. The men struggled to build the company, but on 19 December 1887 the first Hook and Ladder was delivered to the company.
The Alert Fire Co #1 was first built in 1891 on the east side of Downing Ave which enabled the members to house the truck and to have company meetings. By 1918 the company had moved away from horse drawn apparatus and had aquired motorized apparatus, which caused a housing problem for the company. The Downing Ave. station was only built to accomodate horse drawn apparatus. So the membership started a search for new property to build on. .
In 1941, 23 years after deciding to build a new station the first meeting was held in the new Alert Fire Co. #1 station located on Pennsylvania Ave. where they are located to this day.
The present day Alert Fire Co. is the primary Ladder and Rescue company for the Department and currently houses an engine, a rescue, a ladder tower, a squad, and a brush truck.
New Millenium Line Officers