To find a name, just click on "edit" at the top of your screen and then click "find a name" and type the name you are searching.
I*... PETER UPSHAW
(son of Capt LEROY UPSHAW and Elizabeth BRADLEY)
was born ca 1790 in Elbert county, GA.
Died July 18, 1841 in Natchitoches Parish, LA.
Peter Upshaw was found in TN, SC and GA. Peter married JANE "JINSY" FIELDS January 16, 1817 in Roane County, TN. He settled in Dade Co GA where he owned "Upshaw Mills" consisting of 160 acres. He sold this land on Sept 19 1840 and moved the family to Natchitoches Parish LA. When Peter died in July 1841,in Natchitoches Parish, LA, less than 14 months from the date he sold his land in GA, he owned 6 slaves, five (6) horses (2 yrling,1 Bay horse, 1 filly, 1 black mare,1 roan pony) 5 cows and calves, 13 hogs, 3 beds, 1 rifle gun, 3 axes, 1 shovel plow, 1 spinning wheel, 1 pot, 2 ovens, 2 blue buckets, 3 chairs,, Waggon breaching, 1 ox waggon and apparatus, Oxen, crop of cotton unpicked as it stood in the field, a crop of corn gathered about 60 lbs, and a claim or improvement on public land, all totalled to $3035.50.
Peter's succession record listed his wife Jane Upshaw and eleven surviving children: Mary, wife of Allen J. Upshaw--Sarah, unmarried and of age--Elizabeth wife of W. Lemuel Pittman, living out of this state, Nelly and Nancy, twin sisters aged about thirteen years--Atkins a son aged about ten years--Martha aged six or seven--Ruth aged about five years--James aged about four years and Catharine aged two years. Below you will find most of their descendents.
Allen Jones Upshaw, husband of Mary Upshaw, Peter's daughter, is Tutor and Administrator of minor heirs after Jane remarried. Others involved; Isaac Holmes, James Harper, Thomas Jones Vandeveer, Charles Vandeveer, and James Taylor, friends of said minors, having no petition in this state. Thomas Vandiver who married Matilda Upshaw, another of Peter's daughters.
Children of Peter Upshaw and Jane, June or "Jinsey" Fields are:
2. JAMES UPSHAW, b. June 1837 according to him and statements on his pension application, Dade County, GA; died May 2, 1913, Illmo, Scott Co, MO
James Upshaw was born June 1837,in Dade County, GA.
About 1840, James' father, Peter, sold his plantation called "Upshaw Mills" in Dade Co, GA consisting of 160 acres and moved his wife Jinsey and 8 minor children to Natchitoches Parish LA. James father died soon after their arrival on July 18, 1841, leaving Jinsey with a farm and farmland ready to harvest and 8 children to raise all alone in a strange land. By August 11, 1842, Jinsey Fields Upshaw was remarried to Mr Josephus CHIPMAN/CHAPMAN, I have found it spelled both ways. It is not known to me where they lived after their marriage or what really became of Jinsey and her new husband. In 1850 Posey Co, IN, James Upshaw, 14 b. GA, and his sister Martha 17 b. AL, are living with Thomas Vandiver, a teamster, b. IN 31 yrs of age, wife Matilda 25, b. TN and their children Charles 11, James 6 , William 5 , Adkins 3 and Theodore 2 yrs "Vandiver". Still finding no trace of James' mother, I believe she could have become ill and died, leaving the children with this family to be raised. I have been told by June Upshaw Cunningham that Matilda Vandiver was the daugher of Peter Upshaw and sister to my James, Martha and Ruth Upshaw. Matilda Vandiver's age and birthplace fit an unkown daughter of James' parents, Peter and Jinsey Fields Upshaw.
1859- March 27, James Upshaw and Matilda Edwards were married in Posey County , IN.
1860 Posey Co IN census.. James Upshaw listed with his new wife, also named Matilda and a son, Andrew, about 1 yr old. Noting a discrepancy in the age of the child living with them and their marriage date, this child must not be the child of Matilda Edwards Upshaw. Upon further investigation, it was found that James Upshaw had been previously married to Elizabaeth AUTLAW/OUTLAW, on April 01, 1858 in Posey County, IN. Since Andrew was born on December 21 1858,which is 9 months after the marriage of James and Elizabeth, his first wife, then Elizabeth must have died giving birth to her son or shortly thereafter. James Upshaw's Pension records stated that he had been married twice and that his first wife's maiden name was FORRESTER and that she was of Creek descent. There is a record of 2 marriages of James Upshaw in Posey Co, IN and neither wife was a Forrester according to the marriage certificates. There are several scenarios that I have come up with and there would not be a question if James had not mentioned this in his pension papers. First scenario being that Elizabeth Autlaw was actually a Forrester and had been married prior to James. If this were the case, she either had no children by her first marriage or, if so, they were grown and on their own, as James and Matilda had no other children living with them on the 1860 census of Posey co IN. I do know that there were many Forresters in the area during James' stay in Posey Co, IN. I understand there were Forresters in the Crossville, White co, IL area. James later moved into Crossville IL, along with Andrew and his new family.
Recently I have found a marriage between a Robert Outlaw and Elizabeth Forrester in 1847 Posey Co IN. This may be the same Elizabeth that married James Upshaw. I would love to know more information on Robert Outlaw b. ca 1825,of Posey Co IN.
June 9,1861, James enters the Union Army as a volunteer and Montgomery Co, IN is listed as his residence. He was enlisted as a Private, Co E, 15th Regiment, appointed "wagoner". His guardian father/Uncle, Thomas Vandiver, was also a teamster/cattle driver/wagoner.
James took ill several times after he entered the army and was hospitalized several times but continued to serve. On June 25, 1864, he received an honorable discharge at Indianapolis, IN.
Family rumour has it that James went back to GA after the war, to see his siblings, only to find that they had disowned him, removed his pictures from the wall and one picture framed in glass, had been draped in black. His sibling(s), being terribly distraught over the fact that he entered the Union army, since they were Confederates. Though James had lived in Indiana for over 20 yrs was he a Southerner by birth or a Northerner by fate?.
1870 James and Matilda with son Andrew, now 13, were living in White Co, Crossville,IL, just across the IN, IL border. It's not known if there were ever any other children to this union between 1860-1870, I question that because of the long span between childrens ages,and since many deaths did occur to young childen, then it is possible their were births and deaths.
By 1880 finally a baby had been born to James and Matilda according to the White CO, IL census. His name was Walter, 9 yrs old, b. June 1871. It is not yet known what happened to Walter, if he married and had children, staying in or near Posey Co or moved. Ella May Walker said she doesn't remember hearing anything of a Walter Upshaw so it is possible he died young. I do know that I did not find ANY listing for a Walter Upshaw at the Willard C. Library in Evansville, living, marrying or dying in the state of Indiana. June Upshaw Cunningham recently told me that she found a Walter Upshaw who joined the Little Wabash Church in 1890. So far nothing else has been found of him.
In 1880 James and Matilda were back in Posey Co, IN, living next door to Andrew, wife Mary and their daughter Belle, 2 yrs young. It was found that Andrew married in Crossville IL to Mary Catherine Hungate, on February 23, 1877.
James worked for Charles Ford as a farm laborer for many years in Posey Co but mostly was the caretaker of horses until around 1898. Sometime after 1890 but before 1900, is when Matilda died. Apparently James left Crossville IL for some reason and after Matilda's death and I later find him in Davidson Co, Nashville TN in July 1906 he was living at 1107 Michigan Street, according to his Pension "General Affidavit", he was apparently trying to get his pension and was having trouble getting it I suppose, as he stated that justice could not be found in Nashville. Apparently he had no record of his correct birthdate as all such papers had been destroyed, how is unkown. No census record has been acquired from TN on James yet.
In 1912 in James' "Declaration for Pension", it is stated that he is 5'8" tall, light complexion with blue eyes and dark hair.
By 1908 James was in MO. According to the "Declaration of Widow for Accrued Pension" form, dated 1914, stated James married, (3) SUSAN STONE b. 1845,(widow), in Graysboro, November 17, 1908 by H. C. Hester, J.P., also stating her former husband was John (I think, it's hard to read) An "A. Stone" d. 1898, and that James' wife (Matilda) had died many years ago. The census records seem to reflect what the pension stated because on the 1900 census of Scott County, Kelso, MO shows James Upshaw (working on Railroad) and and son Walter and again in 1910 James (a mail carrier), was married and census shows her name as Sarah Upshaw b.1845 (not Susan also b 1845) and boarder Charles Butler, who was likely his cousin. His sister married Sinclair Butler in IL.
Then on May 2, 1913, James Upshaw passed away, leaving his widow wife to yet another widowhood. It seems James was a very talented man or Jack (James) of all trades. He had a somewhat tough life, losing 2 wives to death and had health issues himself after the war and I dont' believe ever received his pension for serviing our country which I believe all who serve our country deserve especially those infantry or foot soldiers back in these times.
I don't know the cause of death nor do I have his will as of yet. I have ordered his will and death certificate from MO and hope to get more info soon. I don't know where James is buried but most of the family is buried in Crossville IL at the Little Wabash Cemetery where the Little Wabash Church once stood. I did not see a marked grave for James or Matilda Upshaw, though there was a medium sized unmarked rock next to some Upshaws. Since Matilda passed on before James and she was living in Crossville, this is probably where she is buried.
Child of James Upshaw and Elizabeth FORRESTER Outlaw is:
3. ANDREW UPSHAW, b. December 21, 1858, Posey County , IN; d. May 05, 1944, Cairo, Illinois, Alexander county-interment-Little Wabash Cem-Crs'vil, White Co, IL.
Generation No. 3
3. ANDREW UPSHAW (JAMES2, PETER1, LEROY "CAPT) was born December 21, 1858 in Posey County , IN, and died May 05, 1944 in Cairo, Illinois, Alexander county-Interment at Little Wabash Cemetery, White Co, Crossville,IL. Andrew was a farmer and a mule team driver. He married MARY CATHERINE HUNGATE February 23, 1877 in White County, Crossville, IL where they lived their lives together raising their children.
Andrew Upshaw and wife Mary C. Hungate
Headstone of Andrew, Mary and children that died young. Located at Little Wabash Cemetery in Phillipstown Dist, White CO, Crossville, IL
Children of Andrew Upshaw and Mary Hungate are:
4. Elizabeth Upshaw, b. ) Apr. 5. 1879 d. ?
4. ANNA P. UPSHAW, b. 1881-1882; d. Bef 1900, Interment Little Wabash Cemetery (small stone next to parents A U).
4. DE ETTA UPSHAW,(ANDREW3, JAMES2, PETER1, LEROY "CAPT" ) b. February 01, 1883; d. December 02, 1918,interment Little Wabash Cemetery. She married JACOB WALKER (listed as her fathers servant in the same household with them, on the 1900 white co IL census).
Children of Etta Upshaw and Jacob Walker are:
5...... MYRTLE WALKER, b. June 05, 1908, Poplar Ridge, White County; d. August 04, 1919, Little Wabash Cemetery.
5...... MARY L. WALKER, b. August 27, 1911, Poplar Ridge, White County; d. August 08, 1919, little Wabash Cemetery.
5....... EARL WALKER, b. November 23, 915.
5...... ELLA MAY WALKER, b. October 14, 1917.
4. Baby Upshaw b.1886 d.?
4. LUELLA A UPSHAW, b. 1886-1888; d. Bef 1900, interment Little Wabash Cemetery (small stone next to parents with initials L U).
4. Joel Upshaw b. 1887 d.?
4. Lewis Upshaw, b. August 14, 1890, Poplar Ridge, White County, Illinois; d. September 06, 1956, Mt Vernon Indiana-interred LIttle Wabash cemetery white co IL. Lewis married
Mary Elizabeth Hughes "Lizzie" b: August 19, 1882 in White County, Illinois d: May 19, 1939 in Little Wabash Cemetery
Father:?? Mother: ??
Children of Lewis and Elizabeth are:
Descendants of Lewis Upshaw
5...... Lewis Albert Upshaw
5...... James Edward Upshaw
5...... George Andrew Upshaw b: June 20, 1911 in White County, Illinois d: in Mt Vernon Illinois
6........ Glen Upshaw b: 1937 d: 1991
6........ Norman Upshaw b: 1940 d: 1954 in White co, Crossville, IL
-------------- 7 Carolyn Upshaw b: 1941
5...... Eldon August Upshaw b: August 02, 1914 in White County, Illinois
-------------- 5 June Upshaw b: May 07, 1940
----------------- +Jim Cunningham b: Abt 1940
4. ISAAC ROMELIA UPSHAW, b. April 1891, estimate.
. 4.JAMES UPSHAW, b. 1892-1895; d. Bef 1900, interment Little Wabash Cemetery (small stone next to parents with initials J U).
4. ALBERT UPSHAW, b. July 21, 1896, Crossville Illinois; d. October 31, 1959, Interment-Granite city, sunset hill-Edwardville, Illinois.
4. WILLIAM H. UPSHAW, b. February 1899, White Co, Crossville IL; d. 1900-1910, Interment Little Wabash Cemetery(small stone next to parents with initials W U).
4. ISABELLE6 UPSHAW (ANDREW3, JAMES2, PETER1, LEROY "CAPT" ) was born 1878 in White Co, Crossville IL, Died June 23, 1945 and is buried at New Harmony, Maple Hill Cemetery. She married Sep. 4, 1895 to
(1) JAMES VANDERVER, b. March 1868 accor. to 1900 white co IL census and marriage record. Died before 1910, he isn't on 1910 census with Isabelle and Hirshell and they are living with her parents. Also this name has been seen spelled as Vaniwar, Vandiver, VanDiver, Vinever.
James is the son of Charles Vanderver,(and Mary J. Cleaveland)and could be the grandson of Thomas Vandiver and Matilda Upshaw Vandiver on this page, the birthdates of this Charles and Matilda and Thomas' son, Charles, could easily be a match and after checking Stephen VANDER's site, desc of this James, it appears James is the grandson of Thomas and Matilda.... James was married first to Sylvia/Sylva May Russell on Jan. 2, 1891 and she died in 1892, interment Phillipstown Cemetery, Crossville, White co IL
For more on this Vanderver line
Child of Isabelle Upshaw and James Vanderver is:
5. ARCHIE W. b. 1900, d. before 1910
5. HIRSCHEL VANDERVER, "Veniver" (also spelled as "Veniwar" in the marriage index)
b. July 6, 1902 in Crossville, (White County) Illinois. D. May 24, 1974, Minot, Ward County, ND.
son of Hirschel Vanderver is:
Stephen Vanderver b.? Married Linda Unknown.
5. UNK Male (#6), b. Aug 20, 1904, d. before 1910?
5. UNK Female (#7), b. Apr 21, 1906, d. before 1910?
Isabelle "Belle" Upshaw married (2) Eugene Hardy:
Child of Isabelle Upshaw and Eugene Hardy is:
5. CAMILLE HARDY, b.Dec. 4, 1919 d. June 23, 1946. Camilla was the 8th child born to Isabelle, according to information on census records.
4. CHARLES THOMAS UPSHAW (ANDREW3, JAMES2, PETER1, LEROY "CAPT", Jeremiah ) was born October 13, 1885 in Cache, IL, and died October 27, 1952 in Cairo, Illinois. He married MARTHA "MA SHAW" CALVIN, daughter of Virgil Calvin and Matilda unknown.
According to the 1947 Marion ILL city director, Charles owned and ran the Upshaw Sandwich Shop at 303 N. Market St.
Children of Charles Upshaw and Martha Calvin are:
5. LURENE UPSHAW, b. November 14, 1906, cairo, Illinois, Died November 7?, 1999, Cairo IL.
5. VERN UPSHAW, b. August 13, 1913, cairo, Illinois; d. May 1987.
5. MARGIE HELENA UPSHAW, b. February 15, 1916, Cache, IL. d. February 1, 2008
5....... MARGIE HELENA UPSHAW (CHARLES THOMAS4, ANDREW3, JAMES2, PETER1, LEROY "CAPT" ) was born February 15, 1916 in Cache, IL.
She married HEZZIE HOLMES.
Is Hezzie and Lola Holmes, listed above, were siblings according to Dameetra Upshaw DeVore? THANKS
Helena Holmes Sunday, February 3, 2008 MURPHYSBORO, Ill. -- Helena Holmes, 91, of Murphysboro and formerly of Cairo, Ill., died Friday, Feb. 1, 2008, at St. Joseph Memorial Hospital in Murphysboro. She was born Feb. 15, 1916, in Griffin, Ind., daughter of Charles and Martha Calvin Upshaw. She and Hezzie Holmes were married, and he died in 1985. Holmes was a member of the First Southern Baptist Church of Cairo and was a postmaster. Survivors include three daughters, Carolyn Jones of Murphysboro, Janet Compton of La Grange, Ky., Gloria Highers of Fort Gibson, Okla.; a brother, Howard Upshaw of Cairo; a sister, Mary Jones of Cairo; 11 grandchildren; 12 great-grandchildren; and two great-great-grandchildren. Friends may call at 10:30 a.m. Monday at Barkett Funeral Home in Cairo. Funeral will be at 1:30 p.m. Monday at the funeral home, with the Rev. Tom Hoskins officiating. Burial will be in Green Lawn Memorial Gardens in Villa Ridge, Ill. (Advertisement)Children of Margie Upshaw and Hezzie Holmes are:
i. CAROLYN RUTH HOLMES, b. 1935.
ii. JANET KAY HOLMES, b. 1943.
iii. GLORIA JANE HOLMES, b. 1948.
5. MARY PURLINA UPSHAW, b. April 08, 1920, cairo, Illinois.
Child of Mary Upshaw and William Porter is:
i. Joyce Porter ii. Cheryl Porter
5. HOWARD FREDERICK UPSHAW, b. February 21, 1926, Cairo, Illinois.
married (1) Janatta Wright
Children of Howard and Janatta are:
6. Carol Sue b. 1946 d. 1992
6. Howard Ronald b.?1951
Howard married (2) Julie Penny
Children of Howard and Julie are: 6. Shari Annette b.ca 1950 died March 29 1986
Howard married (3) ?
......... 5. MAURICE UPSHAW, b. 1904, White Co, Crossville IL; d. 1919, White Co, Crossville IL interment at Little Wabash/ Philips Cemetery Crossville.
4. LEWIS UPSHAW (ANDREW3, JAMES2, PETER1, LEROY "CAPT",Jeremiah ) was born August 14, 1890 in Poplar Ridge, White County, Illinois, and died September 06, 1956 in Mt Vernon Indiana-interred LIttle Wabash cemetery white co IL. He married MARY ELIZABETH HUGHES.
Children of Lewis Upshaw and Mary Hughes are:
5. LEWIS ALBERT7 UPSHAW, b. 1919; m. HELEN E. UNKNOWN, July 01, 1939..
5. JAMES EDWARD UPSHAW, b. Abt 1910..
5. GEORGE ANDREW UPSHAW, b. June 20, 1911, White County, Illinois; d. Mt Vernon Illinois..
5. ELDON AUGUST UPSHAW, b. August 02, 1914, White County, Illinois..
Child of Eldon August Upshaw is: 6. June Upshaw b. May 07, 1940, White Co, Crossville, IL.
Married Unkown Cunningham
4. ISAAC ROMELIA UPSHAW (ANDREW3, JAMES2, PETER1, LEROY "CAPT", Jeremiah ) was born April 1891 . He married ORPHA CALVIN..
Children of Isaac Upshaw and Orpha Calvin are:
5. LOREN IVAN UPSHAW, b. March 09, 1916. LOREN IVAN UPSHAW (ISAAC ROMELIA4, ANDREW3, JAMES2, PETER1,LEROY "CAPT" , JEREMIAH) married HELEN HOOVER.
Children of Loren Upshaw and Helen Hoover are:
32. i. LORENA LEE UPSHAW, b. June 24, 1941, Indiana.
33. ii. TRUMAN DAVID UPSHAW, b. October 14, 1942. 4. ALBERT UPSHAW (ANDREW3, JAMES2, PETER1, LEROY "CAPT", Jeremiah ) was born July 21, 1896 in Crossville Illinois, and died October 31, 1959 in Interment-Granite city, sunset hill-Edwardville, Illinois. He married DOROTHY OLIVE TRANBARGER August 21, 1926 in Indianapolis, Indiana.
Child of Albert Upshaw and Dorothy Tranbarger is:
5. DESSIE CATHERINE UPSHAW, b. March 31, 1927, Indianapolis, Indiana; d. January 07, 1967, Edwardsville, Illinois.
6.....LURENE UPSHAW (CHARLES5 THOMAS4, ANDREW3, JAMES2, PETER1, LEROY "CAPT" , JEREMIAH) was born November 14, 1906 in cairo, Illinois. She married LOUIS JOYNER.
Children of Lurene Upshaw and Louis Joyner are: 6. CATHERINE JOYNER, b. 1926;
m. BOB HOGAN.
6. CHARLSENE JOYNER, b. 1924. 6. WILLIAM "BILL" JOYNER, b. 1929; d. 1979.
5. VIRGIL THOMAS UPSHAW (CHARLES THOMAS4, ANDREW3, JAMES2, PETER1, LEROY "CAPT", Jeremiah ) was born September 24, 1908 in crossville, IL 22, 1997,
died August 19, 1985 in Warner Robins, GA, Interment Magnolia Hill Cemetery, WR GA 97. He married CECILE LANTHRUM, 1928, daughter of Joseph Walter Lanthrum and Myrtle Edith Winegarner.
Children of Virgil Upshaw and Cecile Lanthrum are:
i. CECIL EUGENE UPSHAW, b. July 13, 1940; d. June 03, 1971, Chicago,IL, Interment Magnolia Hill Cemeter, WR GA.
Never married, no children.
24. i. ROSALIE DARLING8 UPSHAW (VIRGIL THOMAS7, CHARLES THOMAS6, ANDREW5, JAMES4, PETER3, LEROY "CAPT) was born in Cairo, Illinois. She married STEPHEN O. BOAZ.
Children of Rosalie Upshaw and Stephen Boaz are:
Generation No. 7
7. DAVID MICHAEL BOAZ (ROSALIE DARLING6 UPSHAW, VIRGIL THOMAS5, CHARLES THOMAS4, ANDREW3, JAMES2, PETER1, LEROY "CAPT", JEREMIAH) was born 1961 in North Carolina.
He married MONICA NANETTE BOWERS May 25, 1985 in Albermarle ,NorthCarolina, daughter of Curtis Bowers.
Children of David Boaz and Monica Bowers are:
8. BOY BOAZ.
8. GIRL BOAZ.
7. SUSAN ELAINE BOAZ (ROSALIE DARLING6 UPSHAW, VIRGIL THOMAS5, CHARLES THOMAS4, ANDREW3, JAMES2, PETER1, LEROY "CAPT", JEREMIAH) was born 1962 in North Carolina.
She married STEPHEN SALAS November 22, 1986 in Los Fresnos, Tx, son of Paul Salas.
Children of Susan Boaz and Stephen Salas are:
8. GIRL SALAS, b. 1989.
8. BOY SALAS, b. 1992.
8. BOY SALAS
25. iii. CARLOS ALBERT UPSHAW, b. February 26, 1933, Cairo, Illinois; d. January 18, 1970, Berkley, CA Interment Magnolia Hill Cemeter, WR GA.
26. iv. THOMAS PATRICK UPSHAW, b. October 07, 1934.
27. v. MERLIN UPSHAW, b. February 28, 1939, Sikeston, MO.
28. vi. MICHAEL JACK UPSHAW, b. October 23, 1942, Alexander county, Cairo, IL Jack Upshaw Real Estate/Development
29. vii. JOSEPH CHARLES UPSHAW, b. December 03, 1943, Cairo, Illinois.
5.....VERN UPSHAW (CHARLES THOMAS4, ANDREW3 JAMES2, PETER1, LEROY "CAPT" ) was born August 13, 1913 in cairo, Illinois
died May 1987 .
He married LOLA HOLMES.
Child of Vern Upshaw and Lola Holmes is:
i. STEPHEN UPSHAW.
5......MARGIE HELENA UPSHAW (CHARLES THOMAS4, ANDREW3, JAMES2, PETER1, LEROY "CAPT" ) was born February 15, 1916 in Cache, IL.
She married HEZZIE HOLMES.
Is Hezzie and Lola Holmes, listed above, possible siblings? Children of Margie Upshaw and Hezzie Holmes are:
i. CAROLYN RUTH HOLMES, b. 1935.
ii. JANET KAY HOLMES, b. 1943.
iii. GLORIA JANE HOLMES, b. 1948.
5........HAROLD ELWOOD UPSHAW (CHARLES THOMAS4, ANDREW3, JAMES2, PETER1, LEROY "CAPT" ) was born May 21, 1918 in Cairo, Illinois. He married VELMA LUCAS.
Children of Harold Upshaw and Velma Lucas are:
i. DAMEETRA ANN UPSHAW.
ii. HAROLD E JR UPSHAW.
iii. CHERI JILL UPSHAW.
18. MARY PURLINA7 UPSHAW (CHARLES THOMAS6, ANDREW5, JAMES4, PETER3, LEROY "CAPT" OR DRURY2, JEREMIAH1) was born April 08, 1920 in cairo, Illinois.
She married WILLIAM "BILL" PORTER.
Child of Mary Upshaw and William Porter is:
i. CARL JONES PORTER.
19. MERLE BERNITA7 UPSHAW (ISAAC ROMELIA6, ANDREW5, JAMES4, PETER3, LEROY "CAPT" ) was born May 16, 1914. She married FRANK SAXTON.
Children of Merle Upshaw and Frank Saxton are:
i. FRANKLIN DAVID SAXTON, m. SANDRA "SANDY", June 24, 1960, Indiana.
30. ii. MARILYN KAY SAXTON, b. November 25, 1941, St. Vincent, Indiana.
30. MARILYN KAY8 SAXTON (MERLE BERNITA7 UPSHAW, ISAAC ROMELIA6, ANDREW5, JAMES4, PETER3, LEROY "CAPT" OR DRURY2, JEREMIAH1) was born November 25, 1941 in St. Vincent, Indiana.
She married GEORGIA IRVIN WAGNER.
Children of Marilyn Saxton and Georgia Wagner are:
i. JEAN LOUISE9 WAGNER, b. April 21, 1965.
ii. BRIAN PAUL WAGNER, b. June 03, 1968, Asmara, Ethiopia US Army Hosp Kagrew ST.. iii. CRAIG MICHAEL WAGNER, b. Apri
l 11, 1972, Baptist Hosp, Houston TX.
31. DEAN ALLEN8 SAXTON (MERLE BERNITA7 UPSHAW, ISAAC ROMELIA6, ANDREW5, JAMES4, PETER3, LEROY "CAPT" OR DRURY2, JEREMIAH1) was born February 14, 1956 in St. Francis Hosp, Bleesh Grove, Indiana. He married PATRICIA MICHELLE MCCRAW June 24, 1978 in Mt. Comfort, IN.
Children of Dean Saxton and Patricia McCraw are:
i. MELANIE JOANNE9 SAXTON, b. December 07, 1978, Grunfield, IN, Hancock Hosp..
ii. MATT ALLEN SAXTON, b. March 05, 1980, Methodist Hosp, Indiana.
2021. VERTICE7 UPSHAW (ISAAC ROMELIA6, ANDREW5, JAMES4, PETER3, LEROY "CAPT" ) was born August 07, 1917. He married ALICE MERTZLA.
Children of Vertice Upshaw and Alice Mertzla are:
i. DOUGLAS ALAN UPSHAW, b. July 11, 1943; m. SUSANNA KISELBASH.
34. ii. LINDA RUTH UPSHAW, b. April 09, 1948.
22. VERNICE UPSHAW (ISAAC ROMELIA6, ANDREW5, JAMES4, PETER3, LEROY "CAPT" OR DRURY2, JEREMIAH1) was born August 07, 1917.
He married BEATRIX OFFENBACKER.
Children of Vernice Upshaw and Beatrix Offenbacker are:
i. BEATRICE DE ETTA UPSHAW, b. August 27, 1937.
6.......... BEATRICE DE ETTA UPSHAW (VERNICE5, ISAAC ROMELIA4, ANDREW3, JAMES2, PETER1, LEROY "CAPT" , JEREMIAH) was born August 27, 1937. She married CHARLES ROBERT BAKER September 16, 1956 in Anderson, Indiana.
Child of Beatrice Upshaw and Charles Baker is:
i. HEATHER GAY9 BAKER, b. January 26, 1967.
36. ii. DONALD REX UPSHAW, b. May 12, 1941.
23. EDWIN UPSHAW (ISAAC ROMELIA6, ANDREW5, JAMES4, PETER3, LEROY "CAPT" ) was born June 19, 1922.
He married MARGAURETTE UNKNOWN.
Children of Edwin Upshaw and Margaurette unknown are:
37. i. KENNETH EDWIN UPSHAW, b. August 24, 1944, Anderson, Indiana.
38. ii. ALLEN EUGENE UPSHAW, b. June 19, 1947, Anderson, Indiana.
39. iii. BETH ANN UPSHAW, b. August 22, 1952, Anderson, Indiana.
6.........LORENA LEE UPSHAW (LOREN IVAN5, ISAAC ROMELIA4, ANDREW3, JAMES2, PETER1, LEROY "CAPT", JEREMIAH) was born June 24, 1941 in Indiana. She married DEAN TILLEY.
Children of Lorena Upshaw and Dean Tilley are:
i. ALLEN DREW9 TILLEY, b. April 03, 1959.
ii. JEFFREY LYNN TILLEY, b. April 19, 1960.
iii. BRIAN DAVID TILLEY, b. October 31, 1961; d. January 21, 1962.
33. TRUMAN DAVID8 UPSHAW (LOREN IVAN7, ISAAC ROMELIA6, ANDREW5, JAMES4, PETER3, LEROY "CAPT" OR DRURY2, JEREMIAH1) was born October 14, 1942. He married (1) PATRICIA UNKNOWN April 20, 1963. He married (2) JULIE ANN STERLING September 14, 1972.
Children of Truman Upshaw and Patricia Unknown are:
i. DAVID LANDAU9 UPSHAW.
ii. LAURA LEIGH UPSHAW, b. October 26, 1963.
Children of Truman Upshaw and Julie Sterling are:
iii. DAVID9 UPSHAW.
iv. DENYCE UPSHAW.
v. LOREN CHRISTOPHER UPSHAW, b. March 23, 1979.
34. LINDA RUTH8 UPSHAW (VERTICE7, ISAAC ROMELIA6, ANDREW5, JAMES4, PETER3, LEROY "CAPT" OR DRURY2, JEREMIAH1) was born April 09, 1948. She married CARL LEONARD MARSEE.
Children of Linda Upshaw and Carl Marsee are:
i. MELISSA9 MARSEE, b. May 09, 1971.
ii. TERESA ANN MARSEE, b. November 18, 1973.
iii. DAVID LEONARD MARSEE, b. December 21, 1981.
36. DONALD REX UPSHAW (VERNICE7, ISAAC ROMELIA6, ANDREW5, JAMES4, PETER3, LEROY "CAPT" OR DRURY2, JEREMIAH1) was born May 12, 1941. He married SARAH ELLEN BRUNDAGE.
Children of Donald Upshaw and Sarah Brundage are:
i. NEIL EDWARD9 UPSHAW, b. January 04, 1954, Winchester, Indiana; Adopted child.
ii. VANCE ROGER UPSHAW, b. March 09, 1964.
37. KENNETH EDWIN8 UPSHAW (EDWIN7, ISAAC ROMELIA6, ANDREW5, JAMES4, PETER3, LEROY "CAPT" OR DRURY2, JEREMIAH1) was born August 24, 1944 in Anderson, Indiana. He married BETTY LOU SMITH 1963 in Clarion, Knox, Pennsylvania.
Children of Kenneth Upshaw and Betty Smith are:
i. JAMES KENT9 UPSHAW, b. November 13, 1963, Anderson, Indiana.
ii. JOY ELIZABETH UPSHAW, b. October 25, 1967, Beattyville, Lee county, KY.
38. ALLEN EUGENE8 UPSHAW (EDWIN7, ISAAC ROMELIA6, ANDREW5, JAMES4, PETER3, LEROY "CAPT" OR DRURY2, JEREMIAH1) was born June 19, 1947 in Anderson, Indiana. He married (1) BETH ANN KNOBBE in Lafayette, Indiana. He married (2) SUE UNKNOWN.
Child of Allen Upshaw and Beth Knobbe is:
i. NO CHILDREN9 UPSHAW.
39. BETH ANN8 UPSHAW (EDWIN7, ISAAC ROMELIA6, ANDREW5, JAMES4, PETER3, LEROY "CAPT" OR DRURY2, JEREMIAH1) was born August 22, 1952 in Anderson, Indiana.
She married KENNETH MATHEWS October 16, 1976 in Anderson.
Children of Beth Upshaw and Kenneth Mathews are:
. SARAH ELIZABETH MATHEWS, b. January 18, 1982, Duluth, Mn.
. LISA MAREEN MATHEWS, b. May 04, 1984, Duluth, Mn.
Child of JAMES UPSHAW AND MATILDA EDWARDS.
3-Walter Upshaw b. 1871 Posey Co, IN. D. probably by 1900. June found record of him at the Crossville IL Little Wabash Church records after 1890 but he is not found anywhere in IN after that and no one 2 generations after him don't know of him so he must have died young
2Matilda UPSHAW, b. 1825 TN. Died on Jan. 30, 1887 at New Harmony IN at the age of 62 yrs.
Matilda married Thomas Vandiver b. 1819 IN
Matilda was found living in Posey Co, IN 1850 with her husband and children along with James Upshaw aged 14, born GA and his sister Martha Upshaw. June Upshaw Cunningham has given me information that Matilda died in New Harmony at the age of 62 of a complication of the stomach. She named Peter Upshaw as her father. She died on Jan. 30, 1887, which makes her birth year as 1825.
Matilda is believed to be the "unknown daughter" of Peter Upshaw, born 1820-25 TN, because one unknown daughter doesn't show up with Peter Upshaw family on the 1840 census in Dade Co GA. Matilda Upshaw Vandiver probably married around 1838 as the oldest child living with her and Thomas was born in 1839. Of course
It was thought that their mother, Jinsey, died before 1850 in Natch Parish but no record of her death, will or record of administration has been located there. I still do not know why 3 of Jane Fields Upshaw Chapman's minor children were being raised by guardians if she was still living. Another of Peter and Jinsey's daughters, Ruth , was also found living in Posey Co, IN 1850 but with the "Susan Butler family" (Whom I believe could be the widow of a Jordan Butler)and her 2 sons, Sherwood and Sinclair. Ruth later married Sinclair Butler. Do not know the connections, if any, between the Butler family and the Upshaw family, unless it was through the Vandiver family somehow. Possibly Matilda could only take on the 2 children and not a 3rd.
Also there was a Thomas Jones Vandiveer and a Charles Vandeveer who attended a family meeting on the matter of Administration of Peter Upshaw's belongings and for matter of Tutorial for the minor children. This Thomas is probably Matilda's husband but would like to know if they were living in IN or LA at the time of her fathers death. I haven't found a record of marriage to date.
Children of Thomas Vandiver and Matilda Upshaw are:
........ 3 Charles Vandiver b: 1839
........ 3 James Vandiver b: 1844
........ 3 William Vandiver b: 1845
........ 3 Adkins Vandiver b: 1847
........ 3 Theodore Vandiver b: 1848
We feel certain at this time that Thomas was married to these women at the same time It appears he alternated between families and never shows up on census records with one when he's with the other. After the death of Susan Crawford Vandever, Thomas was on every census after that with Matilda. The mens names, ages and birthplaces are the same. Would like to find out more about Thomas Vandiver/Vandever.
Thomas VANDIVER and wife Susan CRAWFORD Lineage.
The story of Susan CRAWFORD VANDEVER
2MARY UPSHAW, b. 1818, ?Monroe County, TN; d. after 1870, ; m. ALLEN JONES UPSHAW b. 1811 GA, (Dade co ?).
Mary and Allen are found on the 1860 & 1870 Winn Parish, LA census. According to Mary's father, Peter's succession papers, they were apparenlty in LA in 1842 as Allen Jones Upshaw became the Tutor and Administrator for the minor children and on the estate of Peter Upshaw, after Jane Upshaw, Peter's widow, remarried in 1842.
Children of Mary and Allen Jones Upshaw are:
Generation No. 5
i. Louisiana (F) b. La.
i. James H.? (M) b. La
i.Louisa (F) b. La
i.Sarah J. (F) b. La
i.Julia A. (F) b.La
i. John A. 5/12 b.La
i-Rhoda Catherine(Rhody) Upshaw (F) b.GA 1838 (Dade co?) married about 1861
#1 James W. Brewton/Bruton b. AL 1832 died before 1870 as not on census with Rhoda and daughters
Child of James W. Brewton and Unknown first wife is:
Generation No. 6
Mary S.Brewton / Bruton La
Child of Rhoda and James Brewton is:
Generation No. 6
Rhoda b.1861 b. La
On 1870 Census of Winn Parish LA, a child named Alice Upshaw, b. La aged 5 was living with this family. Apparently an orphan, but who's orphan?
Rhoda married #2 Arthur Paul Cotton
Child of Rhoda Upshaw and Arthur Cotton:
Benjamin L. Cotton Sr.
Child of Benjamin Cotton Sr
Benjamin Loveless Cotton Jr
Child of Benjamin Cotton JR
Julia Cotton. Julia married Unknown Walker
2ELIZABETH UPSHAW, also called Nancy according to her descendents, b. 1819 according to the 1870 Dade Co GA census, born in Monroe County, TN; d. November 4, 1896, Dade Co GA; Nancy Elizabeth married W. LEMUEL PITTMAN, May 1837 Dade Co GA b.1810-20 Died 1848 Dade co GA. Lemuel served in the Seminole indian War in 1836
For correspondence on the following; contact Sheryl Patterson
Children of Lemuel and Elizabeth/Nancy are:
------ 2 Stacy Pittman b: 1836 GA
-------- married Elisha BRYANT b.1835 GA Elisha Bryant was listed as 1/2 cherokee on Co. 3, Tennessee Cavalry. A pension was filed in Georgia, Appl. #917118, on 9-1-1890-Possibly filed in Dade Co GA
Children of Stacy and Elisha are:
1880 Dade Co. Ga. ------------ 3 Mary Bryant Bn. 1860-61 Ga. Female
age 20 ------------ 3 Judia Bryant b.1866 GA Female
age 18 ------------ 3 Vena Bryant Female
age 14 not in school 1865-66 (not in school) ------------ 3 Rinda Bryant b.1868 GA Female
age 11 (not in school ------------ 3 McLean Bryant B. 1872-73 Male
age 8 Ga. | ---------- 3 Lawrance Bryant Bn. 1874-75 Male
age 6 Ga. > | ---------- 3 Charlie Bryant Bn. 1876-77 Male
age 4 Ga. ------ 2 Talitha Pittman
b: 1844 d: January 16, 1926 in Ozark, Franklin co. Ark Sex: Female
--------- Married Augustus Arlius EARP
b: October 18, 1839 in TN m: 1861 d: October 19, 1908 in in Franklin Co. Ark. Ozark. Father: Father Elijah Earp Mother: Sarah Jane Allen
Cousin to Wyatt Earp
Children of Augustus and Talitha Pittman Earp:
-------------------- 3. Eliza Earp bn 1862 Ga. died 1862 7 wks. old
----------------------3. Lorenzo Prentiss Earp bn. 9-12-1863 Tn. md. Callie Gage married in Ozark. Ark. died 11-11-1946 in Ozark, Ark. bur. Highland Cem. age 83
------------------------3. Laura Jane Earp bn. 3-10-1866 Jackson Co. Ill. married John Littion Pace on 10-9-1884 Ozark, Ark. Md. 10-9-1884 Ozark, Ark. John Died 10-181915 age 56. Laura died 4-6-1956 age 90 in McAlester, Ok. she 2nd. Md. George Real on 6-30-1920
-----------------------3. Mary Alice Earp Bn. 4-12-1868 in Illinois died 12 1935 age 67 married John L. Parker
--------------------------3.Virgil Blaine Earp Bn. 2-22-1877 Ozark, Ark. married Idella Martin.Virgil died 1-30-1949 age 71 Ozark, Ark. bur. Highland Cem. Ozark.
-----------------------3. Ida Nora Earp Bn. 10-20-1880 Ozark, Ark. married 9-27-1900 Ozark, Ark. to Claude Mitchel Smith. Ida died 4-27-1965 age 84 bur. Highland Cem. Ozark, Ark. Claude Smith Bn. 7-19-1878 Ozark, Ark. died 8-26-1957 Ozark, Ark.
----------------------------3. Arminta Elvira Earp Bn. 3-30-1883 Ozark, Ark. md. John Campbell. Arminta died 2-25-1962 age 78 in Short, Ok. bur. Allison Cem. also in Short, Ok. Ok.
------ 2 Unknown Female Pittman
------ 2 Mary "Polly" Mirandy Pittman b: 1842-43 in Rising Fawn Dade Co. > > Ga.
she died Van Buren , Ark. after 1900 at Log Town Cemetery in Van > > Buren Ark. > > --------- Married Demetrius Americus EARP m: 1857 in Walker Co. Ga Possibly, Sex: Male Father: Father Elijah Earp
Brother to Arlis Augustus Earp, and Cousin to Wyatt Earp
Children of Demetrius and Polly are:
----------------3. Millard V. Earp Bn. 1858 Ga. md. Malinda Furguson Bn. 1858 Md.
3-30-1877 in Ozark, Ark. Franklin Co.
------------------- 3. Eugenia E. Earp Bn. 1859 Ga. no other info.
------------------- 3. Henry Clayton "Clay" Earp Bn. 1864 Ga. Walker Co. md. 11-3-1881 in Franklin co. Ozark.Ark. to Syntha E. Rowe Bn. 1867-77 he died 1947 in Spiro, Ok.
----------------------3. Milton C. "Milt" Earp bn. 1867 in Illinois died ? in Van Buren Ark. Crawford Co.
-----------------------3. Arizona Earp Bn. 1869 IIl. md. Lewis White Poplin he was born
5-9-1849 Van Buren Ark. they were md. in Johnson Co. Ark. they are both buried at Logtown in Van Buren Ark. Crawford Co. Ark.
-----------------------3. Arthur bn. after 1880 in Crawford Co. Ark. died Ft. Smith Ark.
-----------------------3. F.B. Earp Bn. 1-6-1877 age 1 1/2 died 6-26-1878 buried Nichols Chapel , in Ozark, Ark.
------ 2 John G.Pittman
Bn 4-1-1847 Dade Co. Ga. died 9-9-1916 buried Hanna Cemetery Rising Fawn, Dade Co. Ga. --------- +Matilda J.
Bn. 2-12-1839 Ala. Died 10-15-1921 Rising Fawn, Dade Co. Ga. Hanna Cemetery -------------- 3 Leanna P. Pittman
Bn. 1862-63 Ga. -------------- 3 Sarah Naoma. Pittman
Bn. 1864-65 Ga. | ------------3 John Pittman
Bn. 1872-73 Ga. | ------------3 Steve Pittman
Bn. 1876-77 Ga.
2SARAH UPSHAW, b. 1820-1825, Monroe County, TN; d. Aft 1841, unknown; m. UNKNOWN.
2NANCY UPSHAW, b. 1828, Monroe County, TN; d. Aft 1841, unknown.
Possibly known as Betsey as seen on the Dade Co GA census
2NELLY UPSHAW, b. 1828, Monroe County, TN; d. Bef 1840, unknown.
Also seen on census records in Dade Co GA as Milley living with the another female born same year as Betsey Fulton, probably the above Nancy.Info listed below.
Also info found on Gencircles posted by Gary Tharpe
Birthdate and name matches the twin above named Betsy Fulton and Millie Upshaw
Betty "Millie" Upshaw (or our Nelly)
Birth: 15 Jun 1828
Death: 22 Dec 1890 in Dade County, Georgia
married---Casper Marion Tatum Marriage: ABT. 1851 in Probably Dade County, Georgia
Children of Millie and Casper are:
Peter H. Tatum
Rebecca Jane Tatum
James A. Tatum
Jefferson D. Tatum
Mary E. Tatum
Clayborne Lee Tatum
Joseph E. J. Tatum
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Is the following census info, our Nelly and Nancy, above? If so, did Betsey marry George, twice her age, or his son and what happened to him?
1850 Dade Co Ga Census Info
Milley Upshaw age 22 Tn born 1828
George Fulton age 56 N.C. born 1794-95(husband of Betsey? or possibly father in law?)
Betsey Fulton age 28 Tn. born 1828
2CATHARINE UPSHAW, b. 1830-1835, in unknown; d. Aft 1842, in unknown.
2ATKINS UPSHAW, b. 1831, Dade County?, GA; d. Aft 1870, unknown.
According to Robb Township 1870 Indiana census household 82-88
Atkins Upshaw age 39 M Farmer with 350 acres b.Alabama
Apparent wife, Martha Jane Upshaw 34 keeping house born TN,
Charles 4 yrs(b.1866) Indiana
Zolliaffer 10 months born August 1869 Indiana.
2MARTHA UPSHAW, b. 1833 according to the 1850 Posey co IN census, Alabama; d. Aft 1853, ?unknown poss. IN;
m. ROMELIA REEDER, March 08, 1853, Posey County, IN.
2RUTH UPSHAW, b. 1835, Alabama; d. Aft 1850, ?unknown poss. IN;
m. SINCLAIR OR ST. CLAIR M. BUTLER, September 15, 1850, Posey County, IN. Ruth lived with the Susan Butler family in Posey Co IN 1850. It is not known what happened to her mother June "Jinsey" Upshaw after her marriage to Joseph Chapman in 1842. Sinclair Butler and his brother Sherwood are children of the Susan Butler (b.1790 NC) mentioned above.
THIS INFORMATION IS IN NO WAY TO BE REPRODUCED FOR PROFIT WITHOUT DIRECT WRITTEN CONSENT BY KATHY UPSHAW STEWART. THIS INFORMATION IS STRICTLY PLACED HERE FOR UPSHAW AND IT'S RELATIONS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
Meet More of my Family
Index of my other Families. Nancy Morel Carter's site of Upshaw's Upshaw Researchers Page
Upshaw Photo Gallery
Mary E. Casby's Upshaw lineage
GA Roots (Bridges site)
My Grimes Line(s)
Our Stewart Lines