A look back at Dallas 1984
Political protests leave many jailed

Big Springs (Texas) Herald

August 25, 1984

A look back at Dallas

Photo, not shown here, captioned:

"Surrounded -- Demonstrators stage a sit-in at Dallas' City Hall to protest against the Reagan administration. A line of Dallas police is visible in the background."

[description of photo:] visible is a section of the surrounding line of police with batons and riot helmets, in foreground are a dozen of those arrested shortly after this photo who are sitting around the Rainbow Family White House Peace Pole with two of them chanting Na Mu Myo Ho Ren Ge Kyo and beating the celestial drums, ie, Evette Justus with newly shaved head, and David Crockett Williams.

Political protests leave many jailed

By Keely Coughlan
Staff Writer

Dallas -- Unlike convention delegates, protesters at the Republican National Convention which concluded Thursday were not being welcomed with open arms or "adopt a protester" programs.

Instead, the heat -- 100 degrees plus daily -- drove the majority of the protesters back home. Churches and community groups agreed to house others when they abandoned the Tent City on the dry riverbed of the Trinity River.

Left behind in Dallas are about 100 self-described "hardcore" protesters: punks, anarchist and aged hippies, most now in the custody at the Lew Sterrett Justice Center.

Protesters were arrested late Wednesday afternoon after a Warchest Tour of Dallas businesses that ended after a flag burning ceremony in front of city hall.

Many have not been able to post bonds of $133 and are expected to remain in jail until Tuesday.

Demonstrators staged die-ins, spray painted walls and insulted employees, according to Fred Douglass, one of the tour organizers.

More than 100 Dallas police in full riot gear arrested the protesters at the last stop of their tour of downtown businesses that they claimed are tied to nuclear armaments, nuclear energy, and companies in South Africa.

Most of the demonstrators boarded the buses peacefully...