This Is Appendix 157 From The Companion Bible.
That there were three suppers, and not only two, at the close of our Lord's ministry will be clear from a careful comparison of the three Scriptures.
1. There was the supper recorded in John 12:
2. The second supper, recorded in Matthew 26:
3. The supper recorded in John 13:
1. There was the supper recorded in John 12:1-9. This was probably in the house of Lazarus1, and, being "six days before the Passover", must have taken place on the Friday evening, on the Lord's return from His first entry into Jerusalem from Bethphage (see Appendix 153).
2. The second supper, recorded in Matthew 26:6-13, took place "two days before the Passover" at the house of Simon the leper, which was also in Bethany. See Mark 14:1-9. At this supper there was also an anointing by a woman unknown (see Appendix 158).
3. The supper recorded in John 13:1-20 is the same as that recorded in Matthew 26:20, Mark 14:17, and Luke 22:14. It was "the last supper", "the hour was come", and when supper was begun, or going on (not "ended"; see note on John 13:2), the Lord first washed the disciples' feet; and, later, the events took place as recorded in all four Gospels. John's Gospel adds some antecedents; but gives the same consequents.