Summer Assignment Help
If you need more help with a problem, please do not hesitate to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I will be happy to walk you through other problems.
- Watch out for solids and gases as reactants - they will not form ions.
- Watch out for the weak acids - they do not form ions. The only acids that will form ions are the Magnificent 7 - HCl, HBr, HI, HNO3, HClO3, HClO4, and H2SO4.
- Do not forget about the rule for the product H2CO3. This substance is very unstable and will not be formed as a product. It will continue to decompose into H2O and CO2.
- With the above rule, do not forget about the product NH4OH. This is also a substance that is very unstable and will not be formed as a product. It will continue to decompose into H2O and NH3
NIE Worksheet 1
Problems 14 and 15 are redox reactions. A redox reaction is an oxidation-reduction reaction. There is a phrase that makes remembering redox reactions pretty easy:
LEO the lion says GER. VERY IMPORTANT - if one substance is oxidized, then one must be reduced (vice versa).
LEO - Lose Electrons Oxidized.
GER - Gain Electrons Reduced.
- 14. The Fe3+ is reduced which means is will gain an electron. If it gains an electron, that will take the charge to a +2. If the iron ion is reduced, then the iodide ion must be oxidized, which means it will lose an electron. The I- will lose an electron and will now have a zero charge. Remember, iodine is a diatomic molecule and when it is by itself as a neutral atom (zero charge) it will exist as I2. The final equation is as follows:
Fe3+ + I- --> Fe2+ + I2
- 15. This is also a redox reaction. The Sn2+ as a reactant is oxidized to a +4 charge. (Sn only has 2 possible charges - +2 and +4). If the Sn2+ is oxidized then the Fe3+ must be reduced. Fe3+ will gain an electron to form Fe2+. (Iron only has +2 or +3 possible charges). The final equation is as follows:
Sn2+ + Fe3+ --> Sn4+ + Fe2+
NIE Worksheet 2
- 7. This one has a typo. It should be sodium iodide solution and not sulfuric acid. You do not have to do this one.
- 9. This is another redox reaction. I will give you what is oxidized and reduced and you should try to figure out the products. Use the example above. Tin is oxidized and iron is reduced.
- 15. This is a really different equation. Especially since I put born instead of boron. A complex compound is formed. This becomes a synthesis reaction and PH3BCl3 is formed.
NIE Worksheet 3
- 7. This equation involves a hydrogen ion transfer from the acid to the base. The acetic acid will lose the hydrogen ion and the ammonia will accept the hydrogen ion. Your products will be C2H3O2- and NH4+