News From The Men Serving In The Armed Forces of Uncle Sam


FEB. 4, 1945 Sgt Foy E. Pribble, former student at Texas Technological college, reported missing in action after the fall of the Philippines in 1942, has written his parents, Mr. and Mrs. L. B. Pribble of Hobbs, N. M., from a Japanese prison camp, at Osaka, Japan, that he is well and very much alive. A cousin, E. T. Pribble, lives at 1901 Twenty-sixth. Sgt. Pribble wrote that he had received last May a package mailed to him in August of 1943. He requested certain foods, peanut butter, honey, powdered milk, canned meats, dried fruits and candy. He also asked for sulfa drugs and other medicines. A brother of the prisoner, Pfc. Iris Pribble, is stationed in the Aleutians. Irish also is a former Tech student. The brothers own a floral shop in Hobbs, now managed by their mother. Mr. Pribble carried a rural mail route out of Hamlin but spends much of his time in Hobbs.


Avalanche-Journal, Lubbock, TX


SS Hobbs Victory Is Launched at 'Frisco'


SAN FRANCISCO, JAN. 10, 1945 The SS Hobbs Victory, named for the New Mexico oil city, was launched at the Henry J. Kaiser Yard No. 2, with Mrs. L. B. Pribble of Hobbs as sponsor.

Flower girls were Virginia and Stella Quintana, both of Santa Fe, who now are working in the Kaiser shipyard.

On April 6, 1945, while anchored in the Kerama Islands, southwest of Okinawa, the SS Hobbs Victory was hit by a Kamikaze. The initial fires were extinguished, but several hours later, the ship, which had been carrying 6,000 tons of ammunition for American troops on Okinawa, exploded.


The Hobbs Victory was preceded by the SS Clovis Victory and the SS Taos Victory.

Both Pribble boys survived the war. Foy Pribble, had been held at an Osaka area camp, but was moved to the Nagoya area camp Jinzu Iwase, and was liberated there on September 5, 1945. He died in California in 1965. Iris Pribble died in Hobbs in 1966. Cora Pribble outlived both her sons. She died in 1976.

The Clovis Victory was sponsored by the wife of the 200th Coast Artillery's Henry Max Miller of Clovis, New Mexico, in July 1944. Major Miller was lost in the sinking of the Shinyo Maru September 7, 1944. The Clovis Victory spent nearly the entire month of April 1945 off the coast of Okinawa before safely returning to San Francisco. She was scrapped in 1972.


The wife of the 200th's Jack Boyer of Taos, New Mexico, was originally named as the sponsor of the Taos Victory, and was still named as sponsor two weeks before Mrs. Frank Seaver of Los Angeles christened the ship in December 1944. Major Boyer survived the war. He died in 1989.


In the fall of 1945, the Taos Victory delivered 2,000 French troops to Vietnam. She was (temporarily?) transferred to the Transport Ministry, London, and in February 1946, delivered UK and Australian troops to Japan. She also evacuated British troops from Palestine. Sold in 1948 and converted into a passenger ship, she was renamed Lismoria. Sold again in 1966 and renamed Neon, she was scrapped in 1967.


<-- SS Taos Victory as the passenger ship, SS Lismoria, Donaldson Line Ltd.