Floyd Reynold's partially typed and handwritten notes. Courtesy of Christine Edwards Williams.


Floyd Calvin Reynolds, 200th Coast Artillery (Anti-aircraft)


Dec. 22, 1947




I, Floyd C. Reynolds, Serial No. 20843574, was a Sergeant in Battery E 200th C.A.(A.A.) when captured by the Japanese April 9, 1942 on Bataan, Philippine Islands.


We were taken to Cabcaben Air Field and kept that day and night. On the morning of April 10, 1942, we started on the long hike known today as the “Death March”. We were six days on this hike before we reached San Fernando. I was given three hard beatings on this hike, each time I was trying to get some water to drink, because of the very insufficient amount allowed us.


After we reached San Fernando I was taken from the Death March and was forced to drive a truck back into Bataan to Mariveles. Here I stayed 5 days under fire from Corregidor. Once when Corregidor blew up an ammunition dump killing around 300 Japs, the remaining Japs took their spite out on me by beating me almost to death.


I was moved to Guagua, Pampanga and kept there in a truck battalion hauling supplies from Manila to San Fernando. One night two of our companions escaped. The rest of us were lined up and badly beaten. Our companions who had escaped were caught and killed.


On about May 20, 1942, we were taken to Olongapo and loaded on a Japanese troop ship, our destination being Bacolod, Occidental Negros, one of the Philippine Islands. While we were on this ship we stopped at Iloilo, Panay. While we were there a typhoon blew in ruining some of the Japanese equipment on board. For this, the Japanese in charge of the ruined equipment and us were all lined up and we were all beaten severely.


Some time in August 1942, I was severely beaten again and lost four teeth in this deal.




While we were driving the trucks for instance, water in the gasoline would stop the motor. We were beaten for this. If a tire picked up a nail and went flat, if the inner tube was ruined, we were beaten for this. Once the truck I was driving ran out of gasoline. I was given the blame because the tank wasn’t bigger. I was beaten for this, and today I am partly deaf in my right ear from this whipping.


We would have to drive Japanese patrols into the mountains to fight Filipino Guerrillas. If the Japanese lost several men we were blamed for their losses. If we were ambushed while driving down the road we were whipped for this.


Our treatment became so severe that on July 4, 1943, my 6 companions and I took a chance and escaped into the mountains of Negros Occidental. We joined the Filipino Guerrillas and fought the Japs for 12 months.


Today I am rated at 70% disabled from disabilities I received while I was in the Philippines.


I could write a book on the treatment I received while a prisoner of Japan but I want to be brief as possible. I only want to give you an idea of what we had to go through.


Floyd Reynolds' Bronze Star. Reynolds with grandson Jonathan Reynolds, early 1970s. Honor Guard at the burial of Floyd Calvin Reynolds in Socorro, New Mexico, December 1980. Courtesy of Jonathan Reynolds.


The 200th Coast Artillery's Floyd Reynolds, Howard Chisco and Ramon Corona's story is told in Steven Trent Smith's, "The Rescue: A True Story of Courage and Survival in World War II." Watch the 2001 C-SPAN2 Book TV program in which Steven Trent Smith talks about the fleet submarine USS Crevalle and the Americans it rescued in 1944 during WWII on Negros Island. He is joined by Chief Yeoman of the Crevalle Al Dempster and rescued American Bill Real.