LESUM PARISH GERMANY, KÖSTER, KOESTER & KOSTER in the NEW YORK CITY AREA , U.S.of A.
SANCT MARTINI KIRCHE in LESUM GERMANY
HENRIETTA DOROTHEA KOSTER nee ROTHERT & MARTIN DIEDRICH KOSTER
The family name KÖSTER (KOESTER)--is found in the Parish church records of ST. MARTINI CHURCH in the town of LESUM, a few miles north of Bremen Germany on the WESER RIVER since the first church records were kept in 1656. MARTIN KÖSTER of BURGDAMM is listed in the 1682 military survey list of inhabatants of military age who could be called up for military duty. From that time on, the name is found mostly in LESUMSTOTEL and surrounding towns..The occupations through the years were "Smithy", "Farmers", "Cabinet Makers", "Carpenters" and Shipcarpenters", "Cottagers"..
On 17 June 1851, the Bark "RICHARD COBDEN" arrived at New York from Bremen Germany with Mart. Koster as a passenger , a farmer age 19 years (off by 5 years).....
...See link below for pictures of the RICHARD COBDEN and It's Captain Bernhard Balleer:
In 1856, MARTIN DIEDRICH KOSTER (MY Great Grandfather) renounced his allegiance to "THE KING of PRUSSIA" and becme an American citizen..
From 1855-1857, he served with the NEW YORK STATE MILITIA in "H Company 5th Regiment Artillery Jefferson Guard".
On 5 July 1860, M.D.K. married HENRIETTA DOROTHEA ROTHERT in the GERMAN Evangical MISSION CHURCH N.Y.C..They eventually moved to Brooklyn, N.Y. had nine children and started an egg business in the 1880s on Monitor St...One of his sons DIEDRICH KOSTER,is my Grandfather..
Here is a brief summary and tip of the iceberg of my direct ancestors also covered by Cousin "VAL'S GENEALOGY PAGE" which can be linked to:
- 1--Martin Köster b....d.22 Jan.1689 + Gesche nee? b.1640, d.23 Mar.1710
- 2--Dirch Köster b.Mar.1670 in Burgdamm + Anna Windhorst b.23 Dec.1668 in Lesumstotel
- 3--Albert Köster b.6 May.1704 + Anna Hedwig Geils b. 8 Apr.1701
- 4--Martin Köster b. 1734 + Anna Margrethe Jachens b. 1743
- 5--Martin Köster b.27 Feb.1783 in Ihlpohl,Germany d. 29 Jun.1848 in Lesumstotel MARRIED on 13 Feb.1810, Gesche Wessel b.17 May 1791 in Lesumstotel d. 22 Jul.1829 in Lesumstotel.
CHILDREN of MARTIN KÖSTER & GESCHE nee WESSEL
- 1--Gretje Koester ( Köster)(twin) b.19 JUl.1811 d.15 Aug.1811 in Lesumstotel
- 2--Anna Margrethe Koester ( Köster)(twin)b. 19 Jul.1811 d.15 Aug.1811 L,stotel.
- 3--Johann Koester (Köster) b.11 Jul.1812 in L,stotel. d. 26 Jun.1875 in Lesumstotel, MARRIED on 8 Mar.1838 Margarethe Hoppe b.1812 d. 1886 in Lesumstotel.
- 4--Anna Koester ( Köster)(twin) b. 9 Oct.1815 d. 1 Dec. 1815, Lesumstotel
- 5--Hinrich Koester ( Köster)(twin) b. 9 Oct.1815, L,stotel MARRIED on 4 Mar 1847, Gesche Margarethe Segelken (Both Died in USA ?)
- 6--Beta Koester ( Köster) b. 20 Nov.1819 d. 23 Nov. 1847 in Lesumstotel..
- 7--Anna Maria Koester ( Köster)(twin) b.14 Mar.1827 in Lesumstotel
- 8--Martin Diedrich Koester (Köster)(twin) b.14 Mar.1827 in Lesumstotel. d.11 Nov.1899 in Brooklyn,N.Y.C. 0n 5th July 1860 in the GERMAN Evangical MISSION CHURCH, N.Y.C. MARRIED HENRIETTA DOROTHEA ROTHERT b. 27 Jan 1836 in "Ritterhude" Germany d. 14 Aug.1899 at 52 Monitor St. Brooklyn, N.Y.C.
CHILDREN of MARTIN DIEDRICH KOSTER & HENRIETTA DOROTHEA ROTHERT
- 1-- Martin Heinrich Koster (Henry) b.22 Mar. 1861 N.Y.C. d. 7 Jun. 1938 in Brooklyn, N.Y.C...First marriage abt 1895 to Wilhelmina Myer b. Abt. 1876 in Germany d. 12 Aug.1896 at 48 Monitor St. Brooklyn, N.Y..2nd Marriage
~ 1895 to Dorothea Schumacher b.20 Aug.1866 d. 27 Nov. 1925, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- 2--William Koster b.19 Dec.d. 8 Sept.1887, unmarried..
- 3--John Fredrich Koster b.5 Oct. 1866 in Jersey City, N.J. d. 5 Sept. 1916 in Brooklyn, N.Y. Married 22 Mar.1888 Annie Biesel b.1 Jan 1865 d. 20 Jun. 1954, Brooklyn, N.Y.C.
- 4--Martin Diedrich Koster b.25 May.1868 d. 19 Jan 1871 in Madison St. N.Y.C.
- 5--Bernhard Henry Koster b. 30 July 1870,N.Y.C. (Manhattan) d.11 Jun. 1904 Brooklyn, N.Y.C. Married on 3 Nov. 1894 Frances Adelide Mills b. 7 Oct.1874 d. 20 Apr. 1955, L.I., N.Y. (First Marriage)
- 6--Diedrich Koster b.20 Feb.1873, Brooklyn, N.Y. d. 21 Apr 1937, Staten Island, N.Y.First marriage 28 Nov. 1894 to MARY E. SHAY b.1873 Brooklyn, N.Y. d. 11 Nov. 1895 in childbirth...2nd marriage 1901 to EMMA NICHOLLS b. Jul. 1874 in COVENTRY, ENGLAND. d.1947 in Staten Island, N.Y.C.
- 7--Wilhelmina Henrietta Koster b. 1875 in Brooklyn. N.Y. MARRIED Fred. Charles Shepperle
- 8--Meta Koster b. 30 Nov.1876 in Brooklyn, N.Y. d. 22 DEc.1952 in N.Y. MARRIED George Louis Block b. 15 Jul.1872 in Erickshoff,Bremen, Germany d. 14 Aug.1969..
- 9--Anna Mollie Koster b.Dec. 1880 in Brooklyn N.Y. MARRIED Joseph Meyer (Myers?)
CHILD of DIEDRICH KOSTER & FIRST WIFE MARY E. SHAY
- 1--Mary E. Koster b.10 Nov.1895, Brooklyn,Kings Cty. N.Y. MARRIED ~ 1920 Amandus Rottmann.
CHILDREN OF DIEDRICH KOSTER & EMMA nee NICHOLLS
- 1--Harry Diedrich Koster b. 6 Jun.1902 in Brooklyn, N.Y/ d.17 May.1966, Staten Island, N.Y.C. MARRIED (Private)
- 2--Emma Koster b~1904 in Brooklyn, N.Y. d. ~ 1977 in Staten Island, N.Y.C. MARRIED ~ 1925 Fredrick (Fred) Stucker b.1898, N.Y. d. ~ 1972, Staten Island, N.Y.C.
FAMILY PICTURES & LINKS
KOSTER FAMILY PICTURES & 1841 CONFIRMATION in ST. MARTINI CHURCH
FAMILY NAMES & TOWNS (NAMEN & ORTS)
DIE MAUS in BREMEN GERMANY
KARL GERKING'S SITE
NIEDERSACHSEN GEN WEB PROJECT
Herbert Juling's site (Bremen-Lesum)
TO PICTURE of the BARK RICHARD COBDEN & Capt. BALLEER