Important Dates In the History of Trinidad and Tobago.
- Christopher Columbus on his 4th. Voyage landed on the south of the island and called the Island Trinite because of the 3 mountain peaks he sighted on the southern range.
- Spain abolished slavery among the aboriginal Indians, but later introduced Negro slaves.
- By Royal proclamation, large numbers of Catholics were offered special privileges to Migrate to Trinidad. Many French families took advantage of this proclamation especially so after the French Revolution.
- The Spanish Government in Trinidad surrendered to the British.
- Spain ceded Trinidad to the British Crown by the Treaty of Amiens.
- The First Executive Council set up. This was the forerunner to a Legislative Council.
- Abolition of Slavery.
- Large scale immigration of citizens from China, India and Madeira started. Over 150,000 Immigrants entered the Colony of Trinidad between 1845 and 1917.
- Tobago was inhabited by Caribs.
- Dutchmen (Courlanders) from Europe started a settlement. They landed at what is still Known as Cortland Bay.
- In came the British and captured the settlement from the Dutch.
1667-1684 There were several wars between the British French and the Dutch. The island changed hands during a continuous state of War.
- The island was declared neutral and all nations were permitted to settle.
- By the Treaty of Paris, England claim was guaranteed.
- The First meeting of the House of Assembly and Legislative Council held.
1770 Sugar exported for the first time.
- A U.S.A fleet attempted to capture the island was stopped by the British.
- The French defeated the British after a long battle on land and sea.
- Re-taken by the British.
- Tobago ceded to France by Treaty of Amiens.
- Captured by the British.
- Ceded to Britain by the Treaty of Paris.
- Tobago joined in a Political Union with Barbados, St. Vincent, St. Lucia, and Grenada.
- Tobago became a Crown Colony. Legislative Council abolished.
TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO.
- Tobago incorporated with Trinidad to form the Colony of Trinidad and Tobago.
- Tobago established as a Ward of Trinidad.
- Elected element introduced into the Legislative Council.
- Areas of Trinidad leased to the U.S.A to set up Air, Naval and Army bases during World War Two.
- Adult suffrage introduced.
- New Constitution introduced provided for elected members to the Legislative
Council. The introduction of the ministerial system started.
- Federal Elections held. A Federation of the West Indies inaugurated.
- The Federation of the West Indies dissolved.
- Trinidad and Tobago became Independent on 31st. Of august 1961.
- The Chaguaramas Declaration signed creating the Caribbean Community
- Trinidad and Tobago becomes a Republic on 24th. September and remains Within the Commonwealth.