The annual Saturday edition of Against The Grain Tribute to Jerry Garcia, born August 1, 1942 ~ passed August 9, 1995. Thanks to my co-host, Mark McKay, who brought lots of great rare live recordings of Jerry and The Grateful Dead. We covered almost all of Jerry's career, from 1965 to 1995, including music by
Mother McCree's Uptown Jug Champions (Jerry, Bob Weir, Pigpen)
Legion of Mary (Jerry, Merl Saunders, John Kahn, Bill Vitt)
Old & In The Way, Jerry and David Grisman
New Riders of The Purple Sage, CSNY
and of course, the good old Grateful Dead.
We closed with one of the Garcia Band's very last recordings, and a live version of one of my favorites, "Stella Blue".
- The Grateful Dead ~ "Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo" ~ CD: Without A Net
- The Grateful Dead ~ "Don't Ease Me In" ~ CD: Go To Heaven ~ Arista
- Mother McCree's Uptown Jug Champions ~ "Yes She Do, No She Don't"
- Jerry (solo) ~ "Deep Elam Blues" ~ Live at Salem, Oregon State Prison, 1982
- Jerry (solo) ~ "Friend of The Devil" ~ Oregon State Prison, 1982
- The Grateful Dead ~ "Dire Wolf" ~ Live in San Rafael, CA 1970
- The Grateful Dead ~ "I Know You Rider" ~ Live in LA, 1966
Jerry with David Grisman, John Kahn, Vassar Clements, and Peter Rowan
- Jerry and David Grisman ~ "Grateful Dawg" > "Two Soldiers" ~ Acoustic Disc, 1991
- Old & In The Way ~ "Jerry's Breakdown"
- Old & In The Way ~ "Catfish John"
- Peter Rowan ~ Old & In The Way Intro
- Old & In The Way ~ "Home is Where The Heart Is"
- The Grateful Dead ~ "Jack-O-Roe" ~ CD: Reckoning ~ Arista
- The Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band ~ "Blue Yodel #9" - CD: Almost Acoustic
- The Grateful Dead ~ "China Cat Sunflower" > "I Know You Rider" ~ Boston, 1969
- The Grateful Dead ~ "Cumberland Blues" ~ LA, 8.15.71
- The Grateful Dead ~ "Bertha" ~ LA, 8.14.71
- The Grateful Dead ~ "Wharf Rat" ~ LA, 8.15.71
~~~~~~~~~Jerry plays Dylan~~~~~~~~~
- Jerry with Merl Saunders ~ "It Takes A Lot to Laugh, It Takes A Train to Cry"
- Jerry with Merl Saunders ~ "Positively 4th Street" ~ Live at Keystone, 1973
- Jerry Garcia Band ~ "Senor (Tales of Yankee Power)" ~ Arista Records
- Dylan & The Dead ~ "I Want You" ~ Live, 1987
~~~~~~~~~Jerry plays pedal steel guitar~~~~~~~~~
- New Riders of The Purple Sage ~ "Whatcha Gonna Do" ~ Columbia Records
- Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young ~ "Teach Your Children" ~ CD: Deja Vu
- Jerry with Bob Weir ~ "Walk in The Sunshine" ~ CD: Ace ~ WB/Grateful Dead
- Jerry with Billy Kreutzmann ~ "Loser" ~ CD: Garcia ~ WB/Grateful Dead
- David & The Dorks (Garcia, Crosby, Lesh, Hart) ~ "Drop Down Mama"
- Jerry & Friends (including Jack & Jorma) ~ "I Been All Around This World" ~ 1969
- Jerry Garcia Band ~ "Sitting in Limbo" (5.21.76) ~ CD: Don't Let Go
- The Grateful Dead ~ "Cold Rain and Snow" ~ Live, 1966
- The Grateful Dead ~ "Dupree's Diamond Blues" > "Mountains of The Moon" ~ Feb '69
- The Grateful Dead ~ "Dark Star" > "St. Stephen" ~ Fillmore, April 1971
- Garcia, Lesh, Weir ~ "Little Nemo in Nightland" ~ CD: Infared Roses
- The Grateful Dead ~ "Black Peter" ~ Boston, 12.31.69
- The Grateful Dead ~ "Ramble On Rose" ~ Paris, 5.3.72
- The Grateful Dead ~ "Morning Dew" ~ LA, 1968
- Jerry ~ "Love Scene" ~ solo guitar from soundtrack to Zabriskie Point, 1970
- Jerry Garcia Band ~ "Coffee and Cigarettes" ~ CD: Smoke (soundtrack), 1995
- The Grateful Dead ~ "Stella Blue" ~ CD: Dozin' at The Knick, Live in Albany, 3.90
We were global tonight, with folks listening online including Walt in Germany, Steve in London, and Karen on "the left coast", as well as all my supporters in the Worcester area who listen in at 90.5FM. We were even the soundtrack to a party in North Smithfield, RI! "Thank you, everybody!"
Music in Harmony