Chapter Twelve: On the Outside Looking In

“Oz, over here,” Angel called as the Scoobies came barreling through the trees.

“Are you okay?” a breathless Cordelia asked.

He nodded. “Yeah, are you? Where…where’s Buffy?”

“We don’t know. She’s not responding to Willow’s attempts to talk to her, and frankly, even if she’d been contained with us, there’s really no way we could have gotten her out here willingly,” Giles told him, gently.

Angel looked upset for a brief moment, then nodded. “But she’s okay?”

Wesley put a hand on his shoulder. “I’m sure she’s fine. Remember, Darla needs her. I doubt they’ll do anything to her before we can rescue her.”

“I don’t plan on rescuing her. I plan on turning her back,” Angel told him. “What did the Council tell you?”

Giles cleared his throat. “We were just getting to that when Ms. Debrauy joined us. It seems the Council, as we already know, is aware of her treachery. They, as we also know, sent Faith here to assist us as her plans to strike back at you, Buffy, and the Triumphant, were clear, though her motives are not.”

“What could they tell you about her that we don’t know?” Gunn asked, putting a hand on Cordelia’s shoulder.

“It seems that quantities of the drug Zyphenic were stolen from the Council’s keep several weeks ago. It wasn’t noticed until after the Council became aware of the traitor’s identity and that Ms. Debrauy would be going after you or Buffy,” Wesley answered him, leaves crunching under his shoes as he paced.

“What’s the drug do?” Oz asked.

“It’s the same drug that was, until Buffy was called, used to mute a Slayer’s powers on their eighteenth birthday. Completely inhibits them for twenty-four hours,” Giles said quietly, his head held down in shame.

“That’s what you gave her on her birthday…when she almost got killed,” Xander murmured.

Giles shot him a look. “Yes, thank you Xander. I’d forgotten,” he said wryly. “In any case, once the message about the Triumphant was found, they began an inventory of the entire Council. The drug was missing, as were some artifacts, books, weapons, and other magical instruments.”

“So she’s not only a traitor, she’s also a klepto,” Cordelia mused.

“That’s what they gave Buffy, the drug,” Angel said apprehensively. “That’s why she couldn’t fight Laren, why it was so easy to defeat her.”

Giles nodded. “I’m afraid so. The drug, though no longer in use by the Council, at least on its Slayers, is still kept in the medical archives. Because it’s no longer used no one paid a bit of attention when some of it went missing. She must have sent it to Laren.”

“You Watcher’s don’t keep a tight ship, do you?” Spike jabbed. “Jesus. You lot just let her waltz right in and get all the goods she needed!”

“What else was missing? Anything of importance?” Angel asked.

“They’re still doing inventory as we speak. So far the only thing that stands out, in my eyes, is an ancient wand that is used in restoration spells,” Wesley told him.

“Restoration spells…so maybe Darla’s telling the truth? Maybe she really can change Buffy back?” Willow asked hopefully. Oz wrapped an arm around her waist and kissed the back of her head.

Wesley and Giles exchanged a glance. “She is. There is a restoration spell to change someone from a vampire back into their human self,” Giles told them. “But it’s very complicated. It depends on a precise incantation of the spell, the exact time of day, and the presence of the vampires’ sire. And of course, the wand.”

“The wand was blessed by a saint, long ago,” Wesley continued. “It may only be used once a century. Therefore, it couldn’t be used to change back both Buffy and Angel, should Darla turn him.” He looked to his friend with sympathy. “I’m so sorry.”

Angel glanced up sadly. “We’ll find another way.”

“Right,” Faith agreed. “We’ll get this wand. And the books. And whatever it takes to bring her back.”

“How are we going to do that?” Xander asked quietly. “Sorry, I don’t mean to be the downer for the whole group, but let’s be honest. We’ve got us, out here, a vampire-Slayer in there, not to mention a wacked-out Watcher who’s gone all Gwendolyn Post, an ex-lover of yours whose only desire is to have her boy-toy back in the big and black way, and a psycho vampire who’s already blown up your hotel, kidnapped your friends, twice, and turned your girlfriend.”

“Xander,” Anya chastised gently.

“No! I mean, come on! What are we supposed to do?” he cried. “We’ve got nothing. Buffy will kick our asses if we come near her, if she’s not already dusted, Darla won’t hesitate either. And Laren, she’s the vampire-version of Faith.”

“Hey! Watch that mouth, Harris,” the Slayer snapped. “I’ve changed, but not that much.”

“Yeah, you’re scary,” he taunted. “I’ve gotten a little more experience in the past few years, Faith.”

She cocked an eyebrow. “Experience, huh? Come to think of it, I do remember that you weren't all that experienced when I plucked your cherry off the tree.”

Anya gasped and Cordelia suppressed a laugh unsuccessfully. Xander’s eyes turned dark. “Come on! You and me, right now!” he shouted, putting up his fists while Faith just smirked.

“Xander!” Willow barked. “Be quiet, all of you,” she warned, glancing around. “I’ve been thinking. I think I know how we can do this.”

The group stood silent for a moment, unsure what to do or say.

“We’ve been coming up with a plan, too,” Faith said cautiously.

Willow turned frustrated eyes on her. “Fine. We’ll work it out together.”

***

Buffy sat in the main hall, impatiently waiting for her meal. “What’s the holdup?” she asked Darla, who sat across from her, casually reading the paper.

Darla didn’t spare her a glance. “When you send out for food it sometimes take a bit,” she said tempestuously.

“I still don’t understand why I couldn’t go out hunting on my own…I’m dying for a good kill.”

Darla lowered a corner of the paper and met green eyes with icy blue ones. “So am I,” she said pointedly. “How many times do I have to tell you to be quiet?”

“That’s five and I still haven’t shut up…maybe you want to do something about that?” Buffy taunted, cracking her knuckles.

Darla rolled her eyes and went back to the article as Laren and Rebecca walked into the room. Laren glared at both women seated at the table but said nothing.

“Ah…our Slayer’s awake,” Rebecca said, smiling wide. “It’s very, very nice to meet you,” she gushed, extending a hand.

Buffy eyes her carefully and glanced at Darla. “Why can’t we eat her?”

Darla almost smiled as she’d been thinking the same thing. “She’s on our side.”

“You and I are not on any side,” Buffy told her. “You and I are sideless.”

“I see we’ve gotten off on the wrong foot,” Rebecca said, looking from Buffy to Darla. “I’m Rebecca Debrauy, of the Watcher’s Council…well, formerly of the Watcher’s Council. I am also a distant cousin of my dear Laren, here. And I’m one of the reason’s you’re here.”

Buffy studied the redhead carefully. “Is that your natural hair color? ‘Cause if not, you have to tell me who does it for you. It’s fabulous.”

Rebecca smiled impatiently. “Thank you. And yes, it’s natural.”

Darla snorted disbelievingly but said nothing.

“So what’s the deal? Gonna try to kill me? You’ll never turn Angel. He’s too good and pure,” Buffy asked.

“You forget. He’s also madly in love with you and would do anything for you,” Rebecca corrected. “I think that means a lot.”

“This was not a part of the original plan. I don’t understand why you’re taking her side,” Laren all but whined.

Rebecca rubbed at her temples wearily. “Laren, we’ve been over this. Your plan was a good one in the beginning. When I learned, through a contact, that Darla was seeking to turn Angelus once again, I decided that was a good business move. I can use him on my side. I couldn’t let you take her. We need her to get to him.”

“I still don’t understand why that is,” Laren spat, glaring at Buffy. Buffy stuck her tongue out and smiled sunnily.

“Because, you worthless whelp,” Darla snapped, jumping to her feet. “Angel will only agree to become Angelus if I work that spell on wonder-girl here and change her back.”

Laren growled. “And you forget that all I want is to see Angelus dead. He robbed me of my child.”

“Get over it!” Darla cried. “It was over a hundred years ago! The brat would be dead by now anyway!”

Laren morphed and bared her teeth. “Take that back, or you’ll regret it.”

“Oh my God,” Buffy exclaimed to Rebecca. “Now I know why you wanted me. To keep these two in line.” She turned to Laren. “’Take that back?’ Why don’t you just try the ‘I’m rubber, you’re glue’ defense?” She glanced at Rebecca. “Can’t very well use ‘sticks and stones,’ ‘cause, well, sticks will kill us.”

Rebecca rubbed at her temples again. “Laren, sit down. Darla, sit down. Buffy, just…stop talking. We have work to do. And I’m not a babysitter.”

The three continued to glare at each other but did as ordered and sat at the table. “Now,” Rebecca continued, collecting herself. “Angelus’ transformation needs to take place, the sooner the better. Shortly it will become unsafe for us here. We will have to move, leave this house, this city, perhaps even this country. The Watcher’s Council will be looking for us, put on full alert, to take us out.”

“I know why she wants Angel turned, not that it matters,” Buffy asked, nodding to Darla, “but why do you want him bad?”

“Because he is one of the most brutal vampires ever to walk the earth,” Rebecca said simply. “And his participation, his cooperation, is a means to an end.”

“Meaning?”

“I’m going to achieve what most mystical masterminds have failed at. I’m going to rule the underworld,” Rebecca said dramatically.

Buffy burst out laughing. “You? Yeah, right. You and what army?”

“An army is exactly what I’m aiming at. With Angelus, Darla, Laren…and many, many others, helping me lead it. What the vampire world is lacking is organization. The old rulers, The Masters, are gone, killed by your kind…you Slayers. They had vision, but lacked the means to fulfill their dreams.”

“And you can?” Buffy asked skeptically. “What makes you Dictator of the Year?”

“I have the resources, I have the intelligence, and I have you all. I’ve spent the last twelve years in the Watcher’s Council researching. And I’ve come to one very simple conclusion. The demon world is in chaos. There are no leaders, especially when it comes to vampires. They don’t realize the powers they hold. Instead, demons choose to lurk in the shadows, killing only occasionally when they must. Demons live in the sewers, on the streets, when they could be in palaces, ruling the world. One demon holds more power than ten humans. And yet.”

She circled the table and came to stand at the head. “In two days time the scourge of the underworld will meet here, in this house, at my invitation. Vampires, all of them. The worst of their kind, the best of their kind. The old ones. Those who have lived and seen the world, who have mastered the lifestyle. Those who can help me see my vision through.”

“So you’re having a party, so what? What makes you think they’re going to just fall in line?” Buffy asked.

“Because it’s for the common good. That, and I can be very, very persuasive,” Rebecca smiled hungrily.

“Did you forget that you’re human? Chances are, they’re just coming for the snacks,” Buffy said pointedly.

“It’s possible. But I don’t think that will happen when they hear what I have to say. This isn’t a cult, Buffy. This is a plan, the start of a new civilization for you, for me…for us,” she said, waving a hand grandly, encompassing the room. “People are so…tiresome. Not that I wish to be turned, mind you. Maybe someday. Right now I enjoy sunlight. And besides, at least one of us needs to be able to go out in the day, am I right?”

Buffy rolled her eyes while Darla and Laren shared knowing smiles. “So it’s a brave new world for all of us. Great. I still don’t understand why you think Angel’s going to just walk in here and agree to go all fangy.”

“He probably won’t…yet. And even when he does…do you really want to be turned back?” Rebecca asked.

Darla’s eyes flew open. “What?” she hissed. “She is getting turned back. I’m not having her tramping all around the house.”

Buffy grinned. “She’s not big on competition. Angel threw her over for me once, she knows he’s going to do it again.”

Darla spared her a withering glare.

“Darla…you’re not seeing the big picture. It would be for the greater good. Think of the benefits of having a turned Slayer! The possibilities!” Laren cried.

Darla turned on her. “You’re only going along with this to go against me.”

Laren considered. “You’re probably right. But then again…fair’s fair. I didn’t get want I wanted…you’re not getting what you want.”

“We have no time for this,” Rebecca snapped. “Laren, Darla. Coordinate the rest of the guards and staff. I want patrols set up, double the numbers at the doors. Buffy, you and I are going to see your friends now. Are you hungry?”

Buffy’s eyes gleamed. “Famished.”

Rebecca returned her sick smile. “Wonderful. I was hoping you’d say so. Now, before we can--”

“Master!” a guard cried, bursting into the main hall. “They’re gone! All of them!”

“What?” Rebecca hissed. “How did you let this happen!?”

The guard glanced around helplessly. “I—I don’t know Master. One of them, a girl…she was locked up, then she wasn’t! Three of us chased her throughout the house but she…she was everywhere at once! When we returned to the dungeon the cell doors were opened and Cullum and Bob were dust.”

“Bob the vampire?” Buffy muttered, glancing at Rebecca and noting the human’s furious expression. “It was Willow. She’s a witch. I’d bet my reflection on it. She played carrot while Angel, Spike and Faith pulled the cart…getting all of them out of there.”

Rebecca closed her eyes and seethed quietly. “This is not according to my plan,” she said through gritted teeth.

“Yeah, well. I’m not much for planning. I’m more of a wing-it kinda girl,” Buffy told her and approached the trembling guard. “You ruined my dinner. I’m starving. I was going to eat Anya. Maybe Cordelia too…I skipped lunch. And you let them get away.”

“I’m sorry,” the guard told her.

She grinned. “No worries. You know what I like more than eating?” She reached behind her and grabbed a decorative ax off the wall, bringing it around and cleanly taking the vamps’ head.

“Wonderful. Just wonderful. They’re gone. All of them. What’s the matter, Rebecca? Didn’t you research all of this before you came here? I told you, the Slayer has friends. Apparently some of them are powerful,” Darla shouted.

Rebecca looked dismayed. “This is a glitch, not an end-all. We still have the most important player,” she said, looking Buffy over. She walked to a cabinet and produced a key from her pocket. Unlocking the door she reached in and produced a heavily jeweled golden staff. “Let them come. I have a few tricks up my sleeve as well.”

***

“Ok,” Willow began as they sat around in the woods that night. “This is my plan, but I’m going to need a few things…things we may have to separate to get.”

“We don’t have time for road-trips,” Angel growled.

“It won’t take long. We’re just outside of LA now…you have to know some magic shops in the area…places that deal in out of the ordinary texts…mystical proverbs and trinkets?”

He nodded reluctantly.

“Good, ok then. Giles…the books that you keep upstairs…the black magic. There’s a certain spell that I’ve read over a few times. But it’s complicated…and it takes a few ingredients we’re not likely to find out here in Deliverance country.”

“What’s the spell?” he asked her.

Willow took a deep breath. “It’s a wish spell.”

Spike’s eyes flew open, as did Xander’s and Anya’s. “Wish spell?” Spike yelped. “I don’t bloody think so! Last time you decided to have thy will be done I ended up playing tonsil tickle with the Slayer.”

Angel’s head snapped up.

“Yeah!” Xander quickly interjected. “And remember me? All Demon-Magnet boy? And you made Giles go blind!”

“Besides,” Anya jumped in, “how can you use the power of the Wish? Have you been contacting D’Hoffryn?” she demanded.

“It’s not the Wish, and I know, I know!” Willow cried. “My previous attempts with a wish spell didn’t go…so well. But this isn’t the same thing. It’s a twenty-four hour spell. It allows one scenario to be played out…and in twenty-four hours it’s over.”

“No, absolutely not,” Giles said sternly. “I’m sorry Willow, I can’t allow this.”

“What? Why?” the witch cried. “It’s easy…for twenty-four hours we’d created the illusion of Angelus, just long enough for us to get Buffy out and breathing again. Then the illusion goes away!” Cries went up from the group as everyone began to squabble at the same time.

“What if it takes longer than twenty-four hours?” Angel asked quietly, silencing the entire group.

“What?” Willow asked.

“What if it takes longer than twenty-four hours to set off the plan? What then? It’s a good idea, but we just can’t take the chance, Willow. I’m sorry,” the ex-vampire explained.

Her shoulders sagged, defeated. “Fine. Someone else come up with a plan then. I’m done,” she grumbled without feeling.

Oz put a shoulder around her comfortingly and the pair walked off together.

“Whatever we’re going to do, we need to do it quick,” Cordelia said, watching them go.

Giles removed his glasses and wearily began to clean them. “Agreed. The longer Buffy is in this state, the worse it will be on her when we turn her back.”

“Yeah,” Cordy answered him absently. “I was thinking more like it’s freezing out here. It’s March, remember? We’re tired, we’re hungry, we have no place to stay, and we have no weapons,” the brunette pointed out, rubbing her arms against the chill of the night air.

“We need to get out of here,” Gunn told the older man. “There’s nothing we can do right now. We need to eat. We need to sleep.”

Giles nodded in agreement. “I could certainly use some sleep. Although I’m not sure how much of it I’ll actually get.”

“What are we going to do?” Cordelia asked worriedly, glancing at the mansion. “She’s a vampire.”

“We’re taking everyone back to our place,” Gunn said, taking charge. “Naps all around, takeout Chinese, whatever. We need to regroup.”

“I can’t believe the hotel’s gone,” Wesley murmured. “All my texts…the weapons.”

“Not the important thing here right now, Wes,” Gunn said, glancing with concern at Angel who hovered on the edge of the woods, staring at the house, lost.

“Of course not,” Wesley quickly corrected. “I just meant…it would be helpful to have books, my instruments. Perhaps we could find a cure for her.”

Xander looked up at him cryptically. “You ever hear of a cure before?”

“Well, uh…no…not exactly,” Wesley floundered. “I suppose we can return to the city, start calling in favors.”

Angel’s head came up and he turned around. “What did you say?”

Wesley turned to him. “I said we can return to the city.”

“Call in favors. You said call in favors,” Angel said meaningfully.

“Well, yes, I did. To get some books, magical items, things we could use right now,” the ex-Watcher stammered.

“I’m leaving,” Angel said. “Faith, Spike, stay with them.”

“What?” Cordelia asked.

Spike glanced at his sire. “Where are going?”

Angel turned and walked to his car. “To call in a favor. Get some sleep. Eat. Go home, whatever. I’ll call you when it’s done.”

“When what’s done?” Cordelia cried as he started the car and drove away. “Why is it okay to leave when it's your road-trip?" she shouted in frustration.

Chapter Thirteen: Apprehension
Back
Home