Site hosted by Build your free website today!
Roaring River Case

TRACAT #253 November 22, 1966 
   Cassville, Missouri 
1000 CE-II - Multiple Witness
Ted Phillips received information from his brother-in-law that a friend had seen & photographed an unusual object in 1966. Following leads I finally located the name & telephone number of the primary witness who wanted no publicity.
I finally was able to contact Mr. B in January, 1968 & arranged to interview him by phone. After gathering details of the incident, I filed the report ( at this time I was looking into such events on my own & did not pass it along to any group ).
In mid July, 1968 I decided to try & call Dr. J. Allen Hynek at Northwestern University & told him of the case. I contacted Allen Hynek as this was the first case I had investigated involving both photographs & physical evidence & felt it could be of interest to him. Dr. Hynek was quite interested & asked me in a letter dated July 25, 1968 to try & arrange a meeting with the witness in which we could view the negatives & photographs. He had a lecture scheduled at the University of Missouri in Columbia on October 17, 1968. I contacted the witness & arranged a meeting in Columbia for that date.
Following the meeting in Columbia I turned over numerous cases I had investigated to Dr. Hynek & upon his return to Chicago he called & invited Ginger & I to come to Northwestern in November. During that visit I talked with Dr. Hynek, Fred Beckman, & Bill Powers & Dr. Hynek asked me to become a member of a very small & closed group including such researchers as Jacques Vallee. This was the beginning of a long friendship with Allen Hynek.
The incident:
On November 22, 1966, B & several friends were deer hunting near the Roaring River State Park, in southwestern Missouri. They had been away from their camp site for about one hour. J B talked with a friend who had just passed by the camp & he stated that everything seemed to be normal at that time. 30 minutes later, between 09:00 & 10:00, B was returning to the camp site. When he was about 100 yards from the camp he noticed a faint column of smoke. He ran to the area & found the tent smoldering. He could see no flames or sparks, a pair of leather shoes & some records were still smoking. He could feel no great heat coming from the remains. In 30 minutes the tent & equipment had been destroyed. He noticed a dead tree about 15 feet from the tent which was burning at the top, it was about 15 feet tall. 

He photographed the tree showing the burning top section after seeing the UFO. The tent was 12 x 18 feet in size. The aluminum poles supporting the tent were singed, but not burned, aluminum cots inside were melted.

The tent was under two trees & they were not damaged at all.

As he was looking through the remains he heard a low humming sound & saw an object rising from a valley just beyond the tent area. When the object was first seen it was just above the horizon, it was at that time that the first photograph was taken.

The second photograph was taken seconds later as the object began to gain speed & climb.

As the object climbed & gained speed the humming sound seemed to become more intense. The sighting lasted perhaps 20 seconds. When last seen the object was moving toward the northwest & was some 40 degrees above the horizon. B could see what appeared to be a dark band or rim around the center of the object. The UFO was aluminum in color & reflected the diffused sunlight. An antenna is visible at the top of the rear section. The object was stable during flight. After the object disappeared the observer paced the distance from the point of observation to the area where it had ascended, the distance was about 300 feet. He estimated the diameter at 25 feet, with a thickness of 8 feet. About 15 minutes after the object disappeared, two F-104's flew over the area at very low altitude, they made one pass, flying toward the southeast. These aircraft were also seen by others in the area. 45 minutes after the incident, a single engine aircraft flew over the area from the northeast toward the southwest, it was not a military aircraft. The fire resulted in about $600.00 damage to the tent & equipment, B claimed.

B stated that he always carried a camera around his neck while hunting in hopes of photographing a deer. The camera used was an Argoflex 620 twin lens. The main lens is an Argus Coated Verex, 75 mm f/4.5 Anastigmat. Shutter speeds from time to 1/200 second. Apertures f/4.5. f/6.3, f/9, f/12.7, f/18. Witness stated that he probably used a shutter speed of 1/50 second & an aperture of f/8 ( which would be f/9 ). If the camera was focused at infinity ( he said he usually left the focus there in case he should see a deer & could grab a quick photo ) the depth of field would be 41' to infinity.

The witness let Allen take the negatives to Northwestern University where it was examined & appeared to be normal in every respect.

Astronomical Data: Sun transit at 11h59 m, Az 149d, Alt 26d11 m N.
Weather Data: High scattered clouds, mostly thin, wind NNW at 5 to 10 mph, temperature at 1000 was 37d.

Return to Top Cases Page
Return to C.P.T.R. Page