Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
Only the Birds are Free
By, 2280


Disclaimer: Sigh, not mine and thus I cannot reap the great financial benefits that come with them.
*************************************************

Rogue stepped over the fallen log as she strolled through the forest. It was the first time in days that she had time to herself, and she had escaped to the woods surrounding the mansion to ensure her solitude.

She pulled her coat closer around her as a brisk breeze surrounded her lifting her hair off of her shoulders forming an auburn cloud around her head. Closing her eyes she lifted her face to the sun, feeling the warm rays through the ruby quartz glasses she wore covering her eyes. She smiled as she felt a snowflake stick to her cheek.

She lived for moments like this, when the world around her was at peace, and she could simply exist within it without having to take part in it. The last few months had been trying. First Scott’s death, then Remy’s reappearance, and finally her DNA mutating causing her powers to be more unstable than they were before. Not only could she not touch people, but her mere presence put them in danger too as she never knew when she might manifest another person’s powers. She realized now how lucky she was, and would do anything to have her old powers back. But as her Momma used to say, wish in one hand. . .

Her breath came out in a white cloud as she sighed heavily, she knew Remy would be seeking her out soon. She loved him more than life itself, but at times it was more frustrating to be around him than not. She was in constant fear that she would inadvertently hurt him. She had absorbed so many people, and with the recent absorption of the Skrull alien it felt like every one of them was pounding on the inside of her skull trying to get out. She absent mindfully rubbed the backs of her hands where Wolverine’s claws lay underneath the surface. After everything that has happened to her she had learned to take things in stride, to accept what came to her; but this time it was different. She felt like she was in danger of losing her soul, her very being to the people that resided inside her. She was starting to think this possession was a punishment for all of the pain she had caused, and that she would never be free.

“Coo, Coo.”

Rogue turned to her right and saw two doves sitting on a branch. She paused and smiled at them.

“Well, hello there, aren’t y’all a little cold out here? Ya should find a barn er somthin to keep yurselves warm. Lord knows ah’m gonna.”

The birds cocked their heads as she spoke as if they were considering what she said. “Coo.”

Rogue smiled and reached toward to shoo them away, but to her surprise one of the doves flew forward and landed on her hand. It cocked its head to the side, peering at her from one black eye.

With one eyebrow raised she reached forward and stroked the bird’s soft white head. “Friendly little bugger ain’t ya? Ya remind me of a certain swamp rat Ah know, only yer not as complicated are ya?”

“Coo.” The dove said in agreement.

Suddenly the birds burst into flight flapping in the air above her head, and she could have sworn they were looking at her expectantly.

“What? Y’all want me to follow ya?”

“Coo.” They called in unison.

“Maybe Ah should spend more time at the mansion, Ah’m actually holding a conversation with birds.” She flew up to where they were and they flapped around her as the trio ascended above the treetops. The sight that awaited them took Rogues breath away.

The sun was setting and cast hues of pink and purple across the sky. They flowed in and out f each other like water.

“Whoo, Ah’d give up all the tea in China to keep this sight with me always.” She whispered as the two doves settled on her shoulders. “Do Ah look like a Super 8?” But she made no attempt to remove them.

She watched as the sun slowly descended from the sky, casting it’s multicolored rays over the tops of the tree in the tranquil forest, causing everything to look like it had been washed in gold.

“Ya’ll have it made ya know that? You can make this forest yer home and no one will challenge it. Yer free to go where ya want, when ya want, and everyone accepts ya fer yer simple beauty.” The three of them watched the sunset in silence.

When it was halfway down the birds took off of her shoulders in a flurry of beating wings, breaking Rogues revere. They hovered for a moment looking at their new companion. She simply shook her head.

“Ah wish Ah could go with ya’ll, but I can’t. Ah’m not like ya’ll. Yer free, Ah’m not” The two doves simply watched her for a moment before they turned and caught an updraft and flew towards the setting sun to their next unknown destination. Rogue turned and flew back towards the mansion and into her room. On a whim she set a small bowl of sunflower seeds outside on her windowsill in case her knew friends decided to visit.

A short time later there came a soft knock on the door, “Chere? You in der?”

“Ya, come on in Remy.”

He opened the door to find Rogue rapped up in a soft wool blanket staring out of the window into the darkness. She heard him come up behind her and crouch next to the chair.

“What ya doin’ chere?”

“Not much, jus’ think that’s all.” Remy simple nodded watching her.

“Ya ever wish you could jus’ leave, go someplace else where no one knows ya, where no one would bother ya?”

“Oui, at times, but Remy been there, done that. He learned long time ago that it’s not where you at that matters, but whose there wit’ ya.” He reached forward and took Rogues hand into his own. “You here wit’ me chere?”

Rogue turned at looked at the man she loved and saw the tenderness and concern in his warm red eyes, his sensuous mouth set into a small hopeful smile.

“Ya Remy, Ah’m with ya.” She slid off of the chair and into his arms, letting him hold her. Letting him chase the demons away with his soft voice as he whispered in her ear.

“Dat’s good, chere, cause Remy is here wit you too.”

“Always?”

“Always.”

Rogue turned her head as he ran his hand up and down her back comforting her and looked out of the window. The two doves were sitting on the sill, eating the seed she had put out. She gave them a small smile before she turned and buried her head in Remy’s chest and fell into a peaceful sleep.

Fanfics