Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
Disclaimer: Dim and Claire belong to me, Misty belongs to Shygal16, but she is letting me use her. If you want to use them in one of your stories please ask us first, cause we might get cranky. Everyone else belongs to Marvel, and since they make millions of dollars at this and I don’t I really don’t care what they have to say about it!

Odd One Out
By, 2280

The girl named Misty was curled up on the windowsill watching the sunrise. She usually slept in late, however this morning she hadn’t been able to sleep. She rubbed her eyes groggily as the first rays of light poured over the horizon. The sunrise was a beautiful mix f purple and red, and it slowly cast it’s light over the mansion.

“I should wake up like this more often.” Misty sighed to herself.

However her solitude was broken when she heard a yell come from down the hall and heard the telltale thud of something smashing against a wall. She sighed and shook her head.

Claire had woken up, and as usual she freaked out. She supposed she shouldn’t complain, her morning fits were the only sign of life she gave throughout the entire day.

She had been with Jhono at the X-force when the X-men went into Genosha, but she had gotten to know Claire a little bit before the fight with Magneto happened, and regardless of what other people had said she liked her.

Sure she was a little rough around the edges, but there was something beneath that tough surface. She had just started to get underneath it when the war broke out. Now Claire was broken and it didn’t seem like there was much left of her to know.

She sighed and stretched her arms over her head, she should take a shower and get down to breakfast before morning training started. She plodded over to the shower, and with a flick of her wrist, formed a water bubble that nudged the hot water faucet on. She brushed her teeth while she waited for it to get to the right temperature. She took her robe off and climbed in and was just starting to suds up her hair when there was a knock on the door.

“Hey Misty?” Jubilee’s voice could be heard from the hallway.

“I’m in the shower!” Misty yelled over the hiss of the shower. She heard her bedroom door open and Jubilee’s footsteps coming towards the bathroom. The door creaked open and Jubilee stuck her head in.

“Your up early Morris! Well I just came to tell you we have the first danger room session so you better hurry up if you want time to eat.” Jubilee slammed the door shut and retreated back into the hallway.

Misty sighed, great even when she was ahead of schedule she was still behind! She quickly rinsed out her long blond hair and got out of the shower. She changed quickly, towel drying her hair before she threw it into a ponytail. No need to style it when she was just gonna get her ass kicked in the danger room.

She pulled on her shoes as she hurried down to the kitchen, hoping there was time for a banana and a glass of milk, she didn’t fight well on an empty stomach.

She entered the kitchen and saw most of the team was eating in small groups, some at the table, some at the counter. Everyone already was deep in conversation. Misty sighed, it looked like another lonely breakfast. She thought that Jubilee was most likely with Logan, but as she sat at the table she was surprised to see him sitting next to Claire’s wheel chair, trying to coax her into eating.

“Come on Darlin.” He sounded exasperated. “Ya need to eat something other than that liquid diet Blue gives ya.” He held out the spoon in front of her again, but she gave no recognition of his presence, staring straight ahead, refusing to open her mouth.

Misty peeled her banana as she watched this, and after a couple of moments decided that Logan must not have spent a lot of time around a lot of babies. She smiled at the thought.

“You think this is funny kid?” Logan growled, annoyed by the fact that this kid thought his daughter was funny.

Misty looked up, surprised. She hadn’t thought anyone was paying attention to her. “N-No sir.” She stammered, blushing at the knowledge that he thought she was laughing at Claire.

“It’s just that you’re not doing it right.”

By now the entire kitchen was watching the pair, wondering what in the hell was wrong with the new girl that she was challenging Logan on how he cared for his catatonic daughter. Granted, the thought of Logan caring for anyone like that was amusing, however the reality of why he had to do it was not, so they simply let him be.

Logan turned to give her his full stare, intending on cowing her. However to his annoyance she simply stared back at him innocently. Inside Misty was quaking, but she had stuck her foot in her mouth, there was no turning back now.

“Really?” Logan growled, “ya think ya could do better? Be my guest.” He vacated the chair, gesturing that she should sit down.

Misty got up and prayed her legs wouldn’t give out, the scrape of her chair against the floor was magnified by the silence in the room as she got up and walked over to Logan’s seat. She picked up the bowl he had been trying to feed Claire out of. It was an odd green mixture, and it smelled funny, but she shrugged and picked the spoon up.

Misty looked at Claire, but Claire was staring off blindly to the right of her. Sending up a prayer she took a scoop of the food and brought the spoon to Claire’s lips, gently nudging the spoon in until it hit the front of her teeth. She thought that it wasn’t going to work, but suddenly Claire opened her mouth a fraction of an inch allowing the spoon to pass.

Misty pulled the spoon out as Logan grunted in approval. Claire slowly chewed the food in her mouth and Misty watched as her lips twitched ever so slightly as if in distaste. Misty set the food on the table next the Claire’s hand and turned to Logan.

“What’s in that?” she asked.

“Baby food, peas and stuff I think.” He replied.

Misty’s eyebrows rose, he was feeding his grown daughter strained peas? No wonder she wouldn’t open her mouth. She never got a chance to voice that opinion because she jumped when Claire’s wrist jumped out, knocking the bowl off the table/

Acting automatically, Misty encased the falling bowl in a bubble of water, preventing it from spilling its contents and hitting the floor. Misty looked at Claire about to chastise her but she stopped when she saw Claire’s eyes fixed on her.

Her face was still expressionless and slack, however her eyes, which formally would role to the side were fixed intently on her.

To everyone in the room’s surprise Misty laughed. “I don’t think she likes your idea of food Wolverine.” Misty said with a smile.

Logan tried to look stern, but in the end he ended up smiling to. “Wouldn’t call it food myself, but that’s what Hank told me to give her.”

“I think you’d have an easier time if you actually fed her something she liked.”

Logan nodded, I’ll keep that in mind Darlin, but you better get goin. Scott gets mighty cranky when people are late for training.”

With a nod Misty got up, leaving the kitchen feeling a little bit better than when she came in. Maybe there was a place for her here after all.

END

Fanfics