East Jordan & Southern
The East Jordan & Southern was originally a logging railroad, moving lumber to the mill on Lake Charlevoix in East Jordan. It was incorporated as a common carrier in 1901, and connected to the Pere Marquette in Bellaire. As the area became logged out, the EJ&S had permission to shut down in 1932. Instead, they reinvented themselves, became a passenger and freight road.They became famous for the free train rides each year on Independance Day. They ran their farewell fan trip on August 12, 1961, and operations ceased at the end of the month.
EJ&S Rolling Stock
Information Source: Trains, Jan 1962 "Crossing Over Jordan"
1 4-4-0 5 2-6-0 Baldwin 6 2-6-0 Pittsburg (1909) ML 1 gas, Plymouth M1200 gas mechanical railcar 2 combine, former Chicage & Grand Trunk (1889) 1 converted open flat car "Swan Car" snow plow, ex Ann Arbor
#6 The "Swan City Express"
EJ&S 6 on display in East Jordan Park
EJ&S Depot in East Jordan
Back to Eddie's Michigan Railroad Page