Wills' Projects: STUBS and Franki/Earlgrey Linux
Franki and Earlgrey Linux are small but usable (busybox+uClibc, execute-only-environment) linux distributions designed to demonstrate the full extent of STUBS, the Toolchain and Utility Build Suite.
What It Is
The STUBS Toolchain and Utility Build Suite is a set of scripts driven by pre-written configuration files, which builds one or more software packages in sequence. STUBS is designed to work in very minimal environments -including those without 'make'- and URLs are included to permit downloading source and patches beforehand. Among configuration files and scripts provided are the facilities to create boot media for Franki/Earlgrey Linux (one of several example busybox- and uClibc-based Linux environments) and the intention is that STUBS can enable such a system to rebuild itself.
What It Isn't
STUBS is not a replacement for 'make'; it assumes the dependencies any packages have will have been satisfied in advance, i.e. the absense of software not yet built will abort the build, rather than automatically prompting the necessary builds. STUBS may be extended to reference Makefiles as well as scripts in the future, which will alleviate some instances where this is a problem.
- (2013 to 2015) Recent "Dunedlin edition" releases, accompanying the experiments on my blog, are on the downloads page
- (2008-11-08) STUBS Configurations 0.8.0-2rc1/0.9.5-2rc1: This release focuses on updating and sanitising the Sencha/Bancha/Lung Ching toolchain scripts. Additional build script updates include new versions of curl, ed, hd2u, ncdu, and tinyproxy.
- (2008-10-04) STUBS Configurations 0.8.0-2pre2/0.9.5-2pre2: This prerelease introduces a separate set of extensions called "Rou Gui", containing networking applications. The sanitised scripts of the previous release are extended with new versions of autoconf and dhcpcd.
- (2008-09-29) Earlgrey 0.9.5-2pre2 disk image. This preview release includes an updated 'netprobe' script, which allows a hard drive install (made from the boot floppy with duproot.sh) to correctly load kernel modules and bring up the network card with a static address.
- (2008-05-31) STUBS Configurations 0.8.0/0.9.5: This release officially kicks off the 0.8.0 stable series. New and updated packages since 0.6.x include autossh, bzip2, findutils, file, httping, udhcp, and wget.
- (2008-04-19) STUBS Scripts 0.9.4-2: This Scripts release fixes a typo in 'mogul' when making prerelease and release candidate floppy/ISO images. It obsoletes version 0.9.4.
...Get downloads here