The King James Version Translators
When the LORD God of Israel chose the prophets and apostles of old to pen the Scriptures, He made His selection with the utmost care. Faith, holiness, a love for truth and inherent ability were the deciding qualities He looked for. In other words the Most High looks within when selecting His servants. That is how He always judges men.
|1 Samuel 16:7
|| But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.
The Protestant translators of the King James Version were providentially chosen by God in exactly the same way: firstly for their faith, holiness and love of truth, and secondly for their linguistic abilities. In other words, they were TRUE BELIEVERS. At their centre some 47 pious scholars were involved. In addition many hundreds of Protestant ministers and believing linguists throughout the UK assisted in the great work. I cannot over stress the importance of that fact: that FAITH IN GOD was the first and overriding reason why the Almighty chose the KJV translators for their sacred task. It is totally
inconceivable that the Almighty, who initially inspired "faithful, holy men of God" to write the Scriptures in the first place, would then - centuries later - hand over the translating of those selfsame Scriptures to unbelievers and sceptics. So I repeat: the translators of the King James Version were men of FAITH, who believed that the text they were translating was, in fact, the WORD OF GOD!
|| "Thus started the greatest writing project the world has ever known, and the greatest achievement of the reign of James I - the making of the English Bible which has ever since borne his name." (Ref: L2)
W Scott writes as follows:
||"King James named 54 pious and scholarly persons
- and who were empowered to communicate with 'all our principal learned men within this our kingdom,' so that the scholarship of the country was consecrated to the noblest work which could engage the heart, the mind, and the pen of men - the production of our admirable English Bible. Seven of the number, through death and other causes, were unable to serve, so that the list was reduced to 47. It may be interesting to know how and to whom the work was distributed. There were six committees chosen, two of which sat at Westminster, two at Cambridge, two at Oxford. The
whole were presided over by Bishop Andrews, who, besides possessing an intimate knowledge of Hebrew, Greek, Chaldee, and Syriac, was familiar with 16 other languages. As each set or committee of translators finished the particular part assigned to them, it was then subjected to the criticism of the other five sets in order; so that each part of the Bible came before the whole body of the translators. When the 47 finished their work it was then carefully reviewed by the final committee. Dr Miles Smith, Bishop of Gloucester, wrote the preface." (Ref:A8)
Always bear in mind the spiritual qualifications of these great men of God. They were
- Pious Christians who believed that the text they were handling was the very Word of God!
- They had absolutely no doubt in their minds that the Genesis account of creation was true.
- They never for a moment doubted the miracles of Jesus or that he was born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, was crucified for the sins of mankind and that he rose from the dead and ascended to heaven.
- They were pious Protestants who saw through the errors of the Roman Catholic Church.
- They were scholars of the highest order. Few - if any - of today's scholars come anywhere near them in their understanding of the original languages; let alone their faith, piety and commitment to truth above tradition.
Here are a few quotes about some of these great men of God from Rev.Gipp's book entitled An Understandable History of the Bible..
- Lancelot Andrews: "As a preacher, Bishop Andrews was right famous in his day. He was called the 'star of preachers
Dr Andrews was also known as a great man of prayer
But we are chiefly concerned to know what were his qualifications as a translator of the Bible. He ever bore the character of a 'right godly man,' and a 'prodigious student.' One competent judge speaks of him as 'that great gulf of learning'! It was also said, that 'the world wanted learning to know how learned this man was.' A brave, old chronicler remarks, that such was his skill in all languages, especially the Oriental, that had he been present at the confusion of tongues at Babel, he might have served as the Interpreter-General! In his funeral sermon by Dr. Buckridge, Bishop of Rochester, it is said that Dr. Andrews was conversant with fifteen languages." (page 186)
- John Overall : He was chosen for his expertise in the writings of the early church fathers. " Dr. Overall was vital to the translation because of his knowledge of quotations of the early church fathers." (page 186-187)
- Robert Tighe: " an excellent textuary and profound
linguist." (page 189)
- William Bedwell : " an eminent Oriental scholar. His epitaph mentions that he was 'for the Eastern tongues, as learned a man as most lived in these modern times.'" (page 189)
- Edward Lively: " One of the best linguists in the world
Much dependence was placed on his surpassing skill in Oriental languages." (page 190)
- Lawrence Chaderton: " He made himself familiar with
the Latin, Greek and Hebrew tongues and was thoroughly skilled in them
Dr Chaderton was a powerful preacher who lived to the age of one hundred and three. A preaching engagement in his later years was described as follows: 'Having addressed his audience for full two hours by the glass, he paused and said, 'I will no longer trespass on your patience.' And now comes the marvel; for the whole congregation cried out with one consent 'For God's sake, go on!' " (page 191)
- Francis Dillingham : "was so studied in the original
languages that he participated in public debates in Greek." (page 191)
- Thomas Harrison : Vice-Master of Trinity College in Cambridge. "On account of his exquisite skill in the Hebrew and Greek
idioms, he was one of the chief examiners in the University of those who sought to be professors of these languages." (page 192)
- John Harding : "At the time of his appointment to aid in the translation of the Bible, he had been Royal Professor of Hebrew in the University for thirteen years." (page 192)
- John Reynolds : "Determined to explore the whole field and make himself master of the subject, he devoted himself
to the study of the Scriptures in the original languages, and read all the Greek and Latin fathers, and all the ancient records of the Church." (page 193)
- Dr. Henry Saville : "was known for his Greek and mathematical learning. He was so well known for his education, skilled in languages and knowledge of the Word, that he became Greek and mathematical
tutor to Queen Elizabeth during the reign of her father, Henry VIII." (page 195)
- Dr. Miles Smith : "the man responsible for the preface of the King James Bible. The preface is no longer printed in present copies of the Book. He had a knowledge of Greek and Latin fathers,
as well as being an expert in Chaldee, Syriac, and Arabic. 'Hebrew he had at his finger's end.' And so was the Ethiopic tongue." (page 195)
"It should be noted that these men were qualified in the readings of the church fathers which prevented them from being 'locked' to the manuscripts, causing earlier readings to be overlooked. This is vastly better than the methods used by modern translators. It should also be recognized that these men did not live in 'ivory towers.' They were men who were just as renowned for their preaching ability as they were for their esteemed education. It is a lesson in humility to see such men of great spiritual stature call themselves 'poor instruments to make God's
Holy Truth to be yet more and more known.' " (Ref:B10)
William Grady backs up this evidence:
|| "The men on the translation committee of the King James Bible were, without dispute, the most learned men of their day and vastly qualified for the job which they undertook. They were overall both academically qualified by their cumulative knowledge and spiritually qualified by their exemplary lives
William John Bois was only five years old, when his father taught him to read Hebrew. By the time he was six, he could not only write the same, but in a fair and elegant character. At age fifteen, he was already a student at St John's College, Cambridge, where he was renowned for corresponding with
his superiors in Greek." (Ref:E7)|
KING JAMES VERSION BIBLE FACTS
KING JAMES AUTHORIZED VERSION: VIDEO
RONALD REAGAN AND THE KING JAMES BIBLE
BIBLE VERSION COMPARISON CHART
LEFT BEHIND BY THE JESUITS
THE TESTIMONY OF THE REFORMERS
ROME'S CHALLENGE - WHY DO PROTESTANTS KEEP SUNDAY?
HISTORICAL BOOKS & DOCUMENTATION OF FACTS
In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established. (Matt. 18:16; II Cor. 13:1)Recommended Reading
Click here for important notice regarding information & recommended material on this web site!
- 1611 KING JAMES BIBLE's NEW TESTAMENT Photographic Reproduction of the Original 1611 KJV Bible's New Testament
Seeing its readings proves to cynics that the KJV's text has never been "revised" and is identical to that used today (except for the rare 1611 typographical slips which were shortly thereafter fixed by King James translators themselves).
- BIBLE PROBLEMS by Gerardus Bouw
Answers every question. A classic! Proves KJV error free!
- KING JAMES: UNJUSTLY ACCUSED by Stephen Coston
Conclusively proves false the myriad of lies propagated about King James.
- CHRONOLOGY OF THE OLD TESTAMENT by F. Jones
Compelling answers for those who say there are errors in the KJV.
- A DISSERTATION CONCERNING THE ANTIQUITY OF THE HEBREW LANGUAGE, LETTERS, VOWEL-POINTS, AND ACCENTS by John Gill
It documents and traces the Hebrew Old Testament to its origin, proving that God's name was pronounced JEHOVAH.
- A TESTIMONY FOUNDED FOREVER: THE KING JAMES BIBLE DEFENDED IN FAITH AND HISTORY by James Sightler
The most thoroughly researched book on the KJV issue in the last 100 years!
- WHICH BIBLE? edited by D.O. Fuller
The classic defense of the KJV which led Dr. S. Franklin Logsdon, who had set forth the guidelines for the NASB, to renounce his own NASB and all new versions.
- THE IDENTITY OF THE NEW TESTAMENT TEXT edited by Wilbur Pickering
The best single book (facsimile) documenting that the most recent scholarship and collation of the papyri prove that the KJV readings are earlier than those in modern versions.
- THE KING JAMES VERSION DEFENDED by Edward F. Hills
The author presents overwhelming evidence for the historical accuracy of the KJV.
- FOREVER SETTLED by Jack Moorman
An excellent history of the bible and its documents. It answers well the question "Where was the bible before the KJV 1611?"
- HISTORY OF THE DEBATE OVER 1 JOHN 5:7-8 by Michael Maynard
Powerful new release.
- KJV's OWN DEFINITION OF OVER 800 WORDS by Barry Goddard
(50+ xerox pages)
- IN AWE OF THY WORD by G.A. Riplinger
This book is the first and only documented history of the words of the Holy Bible.
- NEW AGE BIBLE VERSIONS by G.A. Riplinger
An exhaustive documentation exposing the message, the men and the manuscripts moving mankind to the antichrist's One World Religion.
- HAZARDOUS MATERIALS by G.A. Riplinger
Sequel to New Age Bible Versions. Proving the inspiration of the KJV & the hazardous materials underlying the NIV, NKJV, ESV, NASB, and HCSB.
- MASONIC AND OCCULT SYMBOLS by Cathy Burns
Traces the history of occult/Satanic symbols and their influence upon society and the church. Includes 728 illustrations.
- FINAL AUTHORITY by William Grady
This book exposes the deceit behind many of the common charges leveled against the A.D. 1611 Authorized version, and addresses those issues rarely discussed by critics of the King James Bible.
- ONE BOOK STANDS ALONE by Douglas D. Stauffer
This author personally exposed the errors of the NKJV editor, James Price, in front of Price's bible school's president, leaving Price speechless and the president promoting this author's book.
Most of the books listed above are available at AV Publications, Corp.
Articles and Books by Various Authors
Return to the HOME PAGE!
Click your browser's Back button to return to the previous page!