"The League of Nations is still strong enough by its collective actions to avert or arrest aggression... There is no room for bargaining or compromise."
- Foreign Commissar Litvinoff (September 21, 1938)
"This war is not an ordinary war. It is the war of the entire Russian people. Not only to eliminate the danger hanging over our heads, but to aid all people groaning under the yoke of Fascism."
- Josef Stalin, Soviet Dictator (June 22, 1941)
"Oh merciful lord… crown our effort with victory… and give us faith in the inevitable power of light over darkness, of justice over evil and brutal force… Of the cross of Christ over the Fascist swastika… so be it, amen."
- Sergei, Archbishop of Moscow (November 27, 1941)
"For the burned cities and villages; for the deaths of our children and our mothers; for the torture and humiliation of our people; I swear revenge upon the enemy… I swear that I would rather die in battle with the enemy then surrender myself my people and my country to the Fascist invaders. Blood for blood! Death for death!"
- Russian War Oath
"We secured peace for our country for one and a half years, as well as an opportunity of preparing our forces for defense if fascist Germany risked attacking our country in defiance of the pact. This was a definite gain to our country and a loss for fascist Germany."
- Josef Stalin, Soviet Dictator (July 3, 1941, speaking about the non-aggression pact between the USSR and Germany made on 1939)
"The friendship of the peoples of Germany and the Soviet Union, cemented by blood, has every reason to be lasting and firm."
- Josef Stalin, Soviet Dictator (Christmas greeting to Hitler, 1939)
"The situation of your troops is desperate. They are suffering from hunger, sickness and cold. The cruel winter has scarcely begun. Hard frosts, cold winds and blizzards still lie ahead. Your soldiers are unprovided with winter clothing and are living in appalling sanitary conditions. Your situation is hopeless, and any further resistance senseless."
- General Rokossovski (on a note to the 6th Army trapped in Stalingrad)
"All that the Great Lenin created we have lost forever!"
- Josef Stalin, Soviet Dictator (1941, after the Nazi armies' early victories in USSR) [summitted by J. Stout]