Gävleborg Co., Hälsingland Province

The terrain is mostly rocky mountains, sloping down towards the coast. 85% of the land area is covered with woods, and the wood industry has historically been the main source
of income. Apart from some areas around the river systems, most notably around river Ljusnan, the soil is barren. Large areas consist of rocks and bogs, and is unsuitable for agriculture.

* Note: The same church appears
in both pictures.



The coat of arms were granted in 1560 in the era of King Gustav Vasa. At that time, Hälsingland was known for its large scale goat breeding, and the arms depicted a standing goat facing heraldic right. Blazon: "Sable, a Goat rampant Or attired and hoofed Gules."

The town was founded by King John III of Sweden, who had the inhabitants moved from the town of Hudik to the shores of the bay, and granted its charter in 1582.

The city lost its privileges for foreign merchancy in 1636, and its development was somewhat stalled for the next two centuries.

Hudiksvall, one of the oldest towns in Norrland, had been damaged by fires some 10 times, the most severe when it was burnt by Russian troops in 1721. * Only the church remained. The current street structure was applied in 1792 after the reconstruction of yet another fire. Helsingia Regiment was the provincial regiment.

At the time, fishing and merchandise of furs, skins, iron, copper and wood products were the main sources of income, and the city flourished.