The Halifax Burlesque Society has disbanded!
After a great run, we have decided to call it quits under the name of HBS. Many of our original performers have moved away, the feel and spirit of our shows have changed, and Burlesque itself is changing. Burlesque in Halifax will continue under different names, but HBS as we know it is no more.
Many of our performers are still up and at it,
Thank you for making our final farewell bash
"BURLESQUE GOES BUST"
such an incredible success!
so check out our Performers page for a list of bawdy burlesquers.
You can contact us under our email address firstname.lastname@example.org
Photo: Eric Boutilier-Brown
Founded in November 2003 by the fabulous Jinx Jezebelle, The Halifax
Burlesque Society was a non-profit organization based in Halifax, Nova
Scotia, Canada. Our members were a constantly changing group of self-motivated,
creative people. We came together every few months to put on a sexy,
hilarious, and exciting burlesque show to a sold-out crowd. Our shows
created controversy and dialogue, while opening minds and creating
a venue for creative grassroots entertainment here in Halifax. As
a non-profit organization, we donated all of our profits to local charities.
- To provide entertainment that has not yet been explored in Halifax.
- To bring together a diverse group of people to perform their talents,
both on stage and in production.
- To provide a space where people can display a creative performance
with sexual overtones and feel empowered.
- To promote a positive image of sexuality
- To give to the community in a way that reflects the objectives.
- We believe in creating our own cheap entertaiment, outside the
- We believe in amateurs, immatures, and professionals. (Some of
us are all three).
- We belive in the power of burlesque to make erotic performance
and nudity legitimate forms of expression. We emphasize that finding
sexy dancing and stripping enjoyable are not nessecarily perverted
(while some of us work to keep it that way)!
- We are for anyone and everyone getting up on stage. Your size,
looks, gender, race, sexuality, etc. are irrelevent, and there are
- We support the right for performers to do what they want with
their body hair.
- In traditional burlesque fashion, we mock. Humor is a subversive
- We are silk and pearls over tassles, evening gowns and leather,
ballroom dancing and crotch flashing; low brow, high class empowered
sluts who can't go too low or sit too high. Screw conventional
notions of sexuality and gender!
If you'd like to be in one of our shows, book us for an event,
or request information, please contact us at:
Stay up to date with HBS on the Burlesque
Past Shows ~ Performers
~ Press ~ Charities
Burlesque links ~ Burlesque