Subject: Media Release VA80 $385,000 for fire safety in ex-service care fa cilities
From: [email-masked]
To: "Mediarelease (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>
Cc: WEB Services <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 09:51:32 +1000

Minister for Veterans' Affairs Mailing List

VA80	 Tuesday 25 June 2002

$385,000 FOR FIRE SAFETY IN EX-SERVICE CARE FACILITIES

Organisations that provide residential aged care and support to NSW veterans
will receive Federal Government grants totalling more than $385,000 to
improve fire safety, the Minister for Veterans' Affairs, Danna Vale,
announced today.

Minister Vale said five aged care facilities across NSW would use the
Veteran & Community Grants to engage a consultant to review fire safety and
develop a fire safety strategic plan.

"The bulk of the grants will go towards implementing the most urgent of the
recommended upgrades and modifications," the Minister said.

"Fire safety is an important issue for the facilities that care for older,
frail Australians.

"The Department of Veterans' Affairs, in conjunction with the Department of
Health and Ageing, has been actively encouraging ex-service organisations to
undertake free fire safety assessments of their aged care facilities.

"Due to recent upgrades of accreditation standards, many residential aged
care facilities have been left behind in the fire safety requirements for
certification.

"This funding will help these facilities meet the new requirements and
ensure the continued safety of residents.

"Australia owes a debt of gratitude to its veterans for their service and
sacrifice in times of war and their continuing contribution to the community
in peacetime.

"Through these grants we are helping ensure that older veterans get the very
best of care in a secure and safe environment, supported by an organisation
that is well-prepared to meet their needs," Minister Vale said.

The Minister said the grants would go to:

*	Batemans Bay Ex-Service and Community Village
*	Ballina Ex Services Home
*	Twin Towns Services Hostel Association
*	Port Stephens Veterans and Citizens Aged Care
*	Vietnam Veterans Keith Payne VC Hostel

Minister Vale said the funding was part of $8 million in Veteran & Community
Grants allocated in the 2001-2002 financial year.

Media Contact: Rachael Thompson      (02) 6277 7820     or      0417 265 289