Subject: Media release VA79 - $1m in federal funding benefits older WA vet erans
From: [email-masked]
To: "Mediarelease (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:27:58 +1000

Minister for Veterans' Affairs Mailing List
VA79	Saturday 22 June 2002
$1 MILLION IN FEDERAL FUNDING BENEFITS OLDER WA VETERANS
West Australian veterans, war widows and older members of the wider
community would benefit from more than $1 million in Federal Government
funding to help build new nursing homes and upgrade existing facilities, the
Minister for Veterans' Affairs, Danna Vale, said today.
"I am delighted to announce these significant grants, which demonstrate the
Federal Government's high regard for, and commitment to, our WA veteran
community," Minister Vale said.
Addressing the WA RSL Congress in Perth, Minister Vale handed over a Veteran
& Community Grant of $418,000 to WA RSL War Veterans' Homes to assist with
the cost of building a new 90-bed home at Menora.
The Minister also announced a further grant of $132,000 to RSL War Veterans'
Homes, for a fire safety upgrade of its facilities at Menora and Mandurah
and a $528,000 grant to the RAAF Association to help build a new nursing
home at its Merriwa Estate.
"The veteran population is ageing and we anticipate that the next decade
will see perhaps the greatest demand for aged care services for veterans in
the history of Australian repatriation," Minister Vale told the Congress.
"Since coming to office, this Government has provided strong support for
aged care services operated by ex-service organisations.  These grants are
an investment in the future of aged care, not only for the veteran community
but for other older West Australians."
The $418,000 presented today will assist RSL War Veterans' Homes in building
a new residential care facility at Menora, providing 90 high and low care
beds.  Older buildings on the site will be demolished as part of the
project, which is planned to ultimately include a range of accommodation,
health facilities and offices for the State RSL Headquarters.
The RSL will use the $132,000 grant to engage a consultant to conduct a fire
safety assessment of existing aged care accommodation at Menora and Mandurah
and to implement the consultant's recommendations.
Minister Vale said the RAAF Association would put its $528,000 grant towards
the construction of Edwards Lodge at Merriwa.
"This will be a 48-bed facility offering both high and low care, with
one-third of the beds dedicated to providing care for members of the veteran
community," she said.
"In keeping with the association's commitment to honouring the wartime
service of Australian aviators, I am pleased to note the lodge will be named
in honour of the late Sir Hughie Edwards, former Governor of Western
Australia and a decorated hero who won the Victoria Cross, the Distinguished
Service Order and the Distinguished Flying Cross during World War II."
Media Contact: Rachael Thompson      (02) 6277 7820	     or      0417
265 289