Site hosted by Build your free website today!

Z3 Max Schultz

January 2, 1935-The keel of Z3 Max Schultz is laid in the Deutsche Werke shipyards in Kiel.

November 30, 1935-The Max Schultz is launched.

April 8, 1937-The Max Schultz is commissioned.

April 6, 1938-Z2 Georg Thiele, Z3 Max Schultz, and Z4 Richard Beitzen anchor off Ulvik, after passing through Hardangerfjord.

August 19, 1938-The Max Schultz passes in review in front of Admiral Raeder, and Adolf Hitler and Hungarian Regent Admiral Horthy inspected the fleet shortly afterwards. Once completed, Max Schultz takes part in maneuvers until August 30.

March 23, 1939-The Max Schultz was ordered to return the refugees from Memel into Lithuania after Germany ordered the repeal of the Memel Statute, arriving on May 24.

April 18,1939-The Max Schultz takes part in a fleet operation along with several battleships.

May 15, 1939-The Max Schultz returns to Germany after completing the fleet exercise, and visiting several foreign ports.

August 26, 1939-The Max Schultz engages in practice exercises while in the western Baltic, at Bornholm.

August 27, 1939-Z2 Georg Thiele tows the wreckage of Z3 Max Schultz, which collided with a torpedo boat while guarding the Sund, which prevented exit to the North Sea, arriving the next day, and entering drydock at Swinemünde. The ship remained in drydock until late September and wouldn’t participate in the invasion of Poland.

October 8, 1939-The Max Schultz left to sweep the coast of Norway. The ships were allowed to attack only less powerful forces, with the destroyer ordered to avoid contact with superior forces.

November 27 through November 28, 1939-The Max Schultz is involved in a sweeping operation in the Skaggerak. Seawater entered a boiler room during rough seas, causing turbine power loss. At 10:05 pm, the engines were at half power, and repairs couldn’t be made because of the tossing of the ship. The ship couldn’t control its movement, either through towing or anchoring, but power to the number three boiler was restored, and within forty minutes, the ship could make 17 knots. This put the destroyer in drydock until the January of 1940.

February 9 through February 10, 1940-The Max Schultz takes part in a mining operation in the Shipwash, along with Z4 Richard Beitzen and Z16 Frederick Eckoldt, during which 110 magnetic mines were laid by the trio of destroyers.

February 22, 1940-The Max Schultz takes part Operation Wikinger. At 7 p.m., the destroyers form a line ahead formation, with Max Schultz right in front of Z1 Leberecht Maß. At 7:13 p.m, the destroyers are overflown by several twin engine aircraft. Lookouts aboard Leberecht Maß reports it as a positive friendly aircraft, while another destroyer spotted it as a definite enemy aircraft. When the aircraft returned five minutes later, the destroyers opened fire with their anti-aircraft guns. Aircraft are again spotted at 7:43 p.m, and this time the aircraft bomb the destroyers. Max Schultz stood guard on an anti-submarine patrol while Z16 Frederick Eckoldt picked up survivors from Z1 Leberecht Maß. At 8:04 p.m, Max Schultz sank with all hands, probably caused by a hit from a newly laid minefield. Due to a lack of information, credit was given to the pilots of the Heinkel He-111 bombers.